It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Western Leaders show up for Russia's celebration of the Great Patriotic war?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I would just like to feel out ATS and see how people feel about our leaders not going.

I will give mine to start. What is happening in the here and now is not what this celebration is about. This celebration is about the Allies winning the war against fascists in WW2. I feel at this point that Putin has shown he is the better man ,by attending our celebrations in France,and for our leaders to do less shows that we have no class,morals,or maturity. I understand that Western Leaders want Putin to know they aren't happy with him,though I would argue the point of their happiness. But there is a time and place for everything,and this is not it. Lets here YOUR opinions now.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
We owe it to each and every person who gave their life fighting the tyranny that was Nazi Germany. The Soviets were our allies and the truth is, if it wasn't for them, the war could have had a totally different outcome.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Dimithae

Yes I believe the leaders should attend and celebrate, and also show their respect towards Russia and the big difference they made towards the allies war effort.

It would also give the west a chance to listen to Russian stance on the current situation and help smooth over their relations.

Sanctions and a cold shoulder aren't working, so let's try a different approach and help each other rather than trying to force some type of regime change for our own advantage.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
If it's a celebration of the end of WWII, then they should. However, I guess there has to come a point, too, at which relations between countries break down to a point where these things will happen. Have we reached that point? I don't know if we have, and I'm not sure we should signal that we think we have by doing this. It's a dangerous message to send.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Western leaders should celebrate the victory over the Axis powers by Sanctioning ALL Russian products and banning ALL Russians from entry to their countries. Russian TV channels should be removed from delivery systems.

When Russia returns Crimea to Ukraine and leaves them alone then they can join the international group of nations again.

Extreme? You bet! If this was done when the Baltics were grabbed after WWII instead of the stupid minor sanctions that were imposed then millions would not have had to suffer under Russian Imperialism for decades.

Tough action actually STOPS war and doesn't start it.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

I think that the western leaders should feel much shame if they don't attend .I guess it may come down to just what the hey they thought they were fighting back then .Many fathers ,grandfathers ,brothers died to free the world from Nazi Germany but for some reason I have my doubt's that the Bankers that funded that cared much about this or that but had a good firm grip on the money .

Maybe it's time we all take a step back from the glorious propaganda they gave us and recognize it for what it was ..A Racket ....

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: noeltrotsky

Are you crazy?

That is just fuel for the fire.

Also, Crimeans aren't suffering, they want closer ties with Russia.

(post by Nikola014 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Nikola014

And at the rate the US has been going down the hole , unless someone like a Putin can give them a hand they will continuing to spiral down to the bottom or lower .. It's getting that they wont even pretend to care anymore .

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   

I personally think that it's to honour our forefathers who fought for our freedom. The most respectable thing for our leaders to do is forget our current issues and honour these people with the respect they deserve. Politics should play no part.

edit on 20.3.2015 by flammadraco because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Politics and Sabre-Rattling should be put on hold while we honor the victories that won WWII. I don't think it'll happen. I think heard on the radio this evening that the United States wouldn't be attending, dunno about others.

Maybe it would even give Obama and Putin a chance to sit down together and actually talk instead of just flashing each other dirty looks like a pair of teenage girls fighting over a boy.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

It wouldn't surprise if they don't. They couldn't even be bothered to send someone to the march in Paris.

This administration has the worst, most tone-deaf state dept. ever.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   

I cannot see how are leaders would not want to go. This is celebration is for those who gave there lives fighting as our allies, it would be a insult not only to there sacrifice but to those from our own country's who perished in the convoys trying to bring supplies in to help support the Russians. Maybe once our leaders are in attendance they might remember that we once stood together as comrades, and heavy sacrifices were given by us and the red army, there may be a chance of thawing some of the tensions that are rising.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: thepitpony

Explain to me exactly when this administration has demonstrated much respect for the concept of Great Americans of the past unless they can be used to further the agenda.

Look at how they treated our own WWII Veterans by shutting down their memorials during the Congressional Budget debate. Those were men who would never get to likely have the chance to see those monuments again, but the Admin ordered them shut down and barricaded so that the veterans had to storm yet another line of combat in order to see their own memorials set up in their honor.

Do you really think they care about honoring the men how died?

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   
So far,those that are coming to it are:

The heads of UNESCO and the Council of Europe, Chinese leader Xi Jinping, the presidents of South Africa, Mongolia and Vietnam, and the leaders of Cuba and North Korea,Greece, Cyprus, Slovakia, the Czech Republic, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iceland, Macedonia, Montenegro and Norway.

As for the others,well.....

“As for the participation of European leaders, this is being influenced by current US actions and aggressive forces inside the EU.” rt.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   

What a shock!

Absence of the European representatives would lead to making a bad situation even worst. I mean, you don't come to support Putin or Russia, you come to give honor to people who fought for the world's freedom. How ironic this sounds, right?

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if they indeed do not come for the celebration, they are the US puppets after all.

But still i do expect presence of the European representatives at the celebration.

edit on 20-3-2015 by Nikola014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I'm from the UK and I am sorry to here that your government has such a despicable attitude to its veterans. The political parties in this country do honour those who have given their lives in service during times of conflict, we have a day of remembrance every year in which the whole country give thanks to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice. This Sunday passed we had a televised church service to thank those who served in Afghanistan (I did 2 tours) which was attended by many political figures. I am not a fan of many of our governments polices (both foreign and domestic) by any means, but in the matter of keeping the memories of those who gave up their lives in passed wars, I cannot fault them.
edit on 20-3-2015 by thepitpony because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   
This is what happened last time after WWII finished when the Allies appeased the Soviet Union...

en.wikipedia.org...

The Baltic states were seized and dominated for 4 decades. 'Sanctions' were used back then too, just like in Crimea today.

Amazingly enough Russians still learn in their text books that the Baltics held 'revolutions' and joined the Soviet Union after WWII. Pretty funny actually, except it's true.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: thepitpony
a reply to: ketsuko

I'm from the UK and I am sorry to here that your government has such a despicable attitude to its veterans. The political parties in this country do honour those who have given their lives in service during times of conflict, we have a day of remembrance every year in which the whole country give thanks to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice. This Sunday passed we had a televised church service to thank those who served in Afghanistan (I did 2 tours) which was attended by many political figures. I am not a fan of many of our governments polices (both foreign and domestic) by any means, but in the matter of keeping the memories of those who gave up their lives in passed wars, I cannot fault them.

We have veterans day also each year and Veterans Day, and Pearl Harbor day and on and on....our two countries do most things very similar.
List here
www.vfw.org...

We have memorials televised memorial day services, museums.
we keep track of them all

Honoring the 20th-century veterans’ sacrifice before they pass from the scene, is at the forefront of everything we do at The National WWII Museum – from our exhibits, to oral histories, to the Museum’s $325 million expansion, a lasting tribute to the Greatest Generation.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: noeltrotsky
This is what happened last time after WWII finished when the Allies appeased the Soviet Union...

en.wikipedia.org...

The Baltic states were seized and dominated for 4 decades. 'Sanctions' were used back then too, just like in Crimea today.

Amazingly enough Russians still learn in their text books that the Baltics held 'revolutions' and joined the Soviet Union after WWII. Pretty funny actually, except it's true.

I think the topic is should our leaders act like adults and attend a memorial you are not on topic at all.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join