It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA's new plans for mars.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Some disputed that Elon Musks mission was a fraud.

I said there must be something more going on.

Gov and military always go there first.

That those for the citizen mission were for worker and breeding.

Home Body Vs Mind NASA will pay you $18,000 to stay in bed for 70 straight days

SEE ALSO: NASA has begun planning the first manned mission to Mars

www.theplaidzebra.com...

NASA has begun planning the first manned mission to Mars

www.theplaidzebra.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Funny thing about the Mars Mission is that an article just came out about it and might be worth reading:

Julie Payette, former Canadian astronaut, says Mars mission is going nowhere

She says the technology simply does not exist to get anyone there.
edit on 20-3-2015 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
The current administration has NO interest in traversing the expanse of space.
Our own NASA director stated his primary mission was to "make muslim countries feel good about their contribution to science and mathematics(ie space travel)."
Newsflash: sumerians invented the number zero and have contributed nothing but a cult of death since this...
To the ops point, I wish we were secretly planning a manned mission to the moon, let alone mars.
But president obama ended our plans to return to space...its pathetic that with a paltry $20-40B we could return to the moon and we did not continue neither the ares v nor the constellation programs...and i only use the term paltry due to the cost as related to our gdp...

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: aboutface
Funny thing about the Mars Mission is that an article just came out about it and might be worth reading:

Skepticism will get you just there. Nowhere. If you don't try you won't succeed.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Christosterone
Our own NASA director stated his primary mission was to "make muslim countries feel good about their contribution to science and mathematics(ie space travel)."
Newsflash: sumerians invented the number zero and have contributed nothing but a cult of death since this...
To the ops point, I wish we were secretly planning a manned mission to the moon, let alone mars.
But president obama ended our plans to return to space...its pathetic that with a paltry $20-40B we could return to the moon and we did not continue neither the ares v nor the constellation programs...and i only use the term paltry due to the cost as related to our gdp...
With all the titanium and Helium 3 on the moon it is only a matter of time before it is a regular mission to mine minerals. Very easy to build a base there for cheaper than most think. Just launch unmanned rockets that harpoon to the surface. Once you have many assemble. Inflate a liner inside. Install the electronics.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
That's good that they are actively considering these types of things, but NASA has been considering Mars habitation and long-term spaceflight issues for a long time now, and it doesn't seem we are any closer to a real Manned Mars program.

For example, Here is an article from 15 years ago (from the year 2000) in which ideas for Mars habitats are discussed in a study conducted in cooperation with NASA:
Concepts Developed for Long-Term Habitation of Mars for NASA (12 Dec 2000)

edit on 3/20/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
What people fail to understand. Much like secret military planes and technology. The gov has more out there than they disclose to the public. They are more prepared than you know. a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Thanks for this. SnF! I signed up. Wish me luck!

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Constellation was a doomed financial disaster from the start as I understand it, and you may complain about Obama but he actually gave more money to NASA than Bush. Cancelling Constellation and keeping the useful parts of it was one of the best things Obama has done. Even more NASA, is flourishing under Obama, I can't remember when I've been this excited at the potential for Space exploration. Satellite tech, Space currency, Space habitat(s), Space nutrition, Space Sports, and the list goes on for the many developments which have come to light while Obama has been in office. Understandably, I can't say that Obama is solely responsible because of the development cycles in tech where it takes years for concepts to become reality, but you gotta admit that he's made some positive changes. Remember the financial mess we were in while Bush was in office?

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
We still have to try all groundbreaking exploration missions have been full of risk, injury, death and failure and skeptics who knew they would never succeed.

We have the technology to get people to Mars. We have the technology to send food and supplies and a habitat that they can live there on for years until we send another more technologically advanced mission. We have the technology. The only way we'll ever get there is if someone just goes. Nasa will never do it. SpaceX is close. I think one day.. Musk is just going to say he's launching a couple of satellite missions to Mars, throw some people in there and Bam. Once one person goes...everyone else will follow. It's just like the four minute mile thing. The only thing stopping us from going there is our limiting beliefs, and fear.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

I ran across a list one day on a university website of all of the probes we have in space...it is boggling! we have just landed on an asteroid, we have traveled to mercury and now they are orbiting ceres! We are in space.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Yeah, but what does $20 to 40 Billion get us? Will it only get us back to the Moon, or is that enough to build bases on the Moon and establish a more permanent presence? I think a more permanent presence would cost far more than $20 to 40 Billion -- we're probably talking at least $100 Billion or more.

If we just go back to the Moon just to go back, and don't do more like build bases there, then we would be in the same boat we are now post-Apollo. The goal of Apollo missions was only to get to the Moon just toe get there. How would a similar new Moon mission with a similar goal as Apollo advance the cause of manned space travel, except doing the same thing Apollo did, but maybe with better hardware?

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
One of the main problem with returning to the moon and living there for prolonged time periods is the moon dust. It gets into and on everything and is toxic when inhaled over time. The astronauts described it as being as fine as talc and smelling like gunpowder.
edit on 20-3-2015 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   

She's talking about Mars One, which is a scam, not NASA.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Sure, the dreamers would love to go to Mars. But somebody's gotta pay for it.

Isn't humanity's long quest to explore and understand the universe through scientific discovery worth the cost?

The answer is... no.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: roth1

Skepticism will get you just there. Nowhere. If you don't try you won't succeed.

I see your point, but surviving for months in microgravity with very little physical space is not about sentiment.

This is just one technical/medical issue that needs to be addressed before any mission is possible. With current technology and proposed vehicle/capsule any astronaut arriving on Martian soil would simply not have the strength to even climb out of the capsule without assistance.

The mars one proposal is ludicrous

More likely more robotic missions. Perhaps bipedal androids with some form of AI - like the one on the ISS right now that's already capable of routine station tasks. Not that they will let you see this, perhaps the powers that be at NASA already know manned missions are way off and play down the reality that the first footsteps on another planet are likely to be artificial.

But then that's just my sentiment, and what do I know.

Source

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Maybe President Obama or Putin or someone can say "We will go to Mars in this decade, and do the other things."

NASA must suspect that there are plenty of intriguing finds being photographed and studied by Mars Rover Curiosity, and would love to get some eyes-on and hands-on humans there to poke around. In fact, a couple of hours ago editor funbox found something pretty intriguing in one of the photos. Perhaps a few people can take a short break from this thread (but please come back, no thread hijacking here) to have a look and maybe offer an explanation. Thanks: www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 20-3-2015 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: roth1

Surely the first step for the colonisation of Mars would have to be, biological. An extremophile probably genetically engineered to push out oxygen . Or some gas that would envelop the planet, then the terraforming might start . The temperature goes up and then liquid water etc. This could all be done by seeding from space, and doesn't require people to risk their lives. Since the moon is closest why not colonise that first , then at least you have a stepping stone, their is no logic, in this mission. But with the moon all the gear gets tested.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

You said:
"Surely the first step for the colonisation of Mars would have to be, biological. An extremophile probably genetically engineered to push out oxygen . Or some gas that would envelop the planet, then the terraforming might start . The temperature goes up and then liquid water etc."

Heck! I have the old VCR movie of that event. Arnie did it in Total Recall..

Why do people rattle on about what NASA says it will do way down the road in making way again to the Moon? "Oh, forget the Moon," they say, "let's shoot for Mars...(some day so far into the distance future you can't even conceive of being alive then)." Why no solid discussions about triangles, the US Space Force's plans to control all space out to the Moon and the very idea why they don't really seriously talk about mining the Moon and with what equipment? Can you just imagine the Moon as a military base as the Space Force did back as early as 1989 and the possibility of triangles zipping up there in a few hours, loading up with some of those rare materials and zipping back for a pittance of the cost of a conventional rocket? Well, maybe you can't but the people with the triangle fleet would think that was a good use for them. As for Mars, they've been there, surely.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join