It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows 10 free...if you live in the Empire of the Sun that is.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Release date is July 29, 2015.
You have to have Windows 7 or windows 8.1.
This is what the radio and newmags are saying.
It is free until July 30, 2016...then.....??

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Windows so # Microsoft have to give it away

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I got my windows 10 reservation popup today, it is free, and it is the full system. Not sure whether to get it though so I haven't reserved it yet.

I am in the UK here.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: LoveSolMoonDeath

Pretty smart and crazy, If I recall maority of the pirated software originates from China.

I'm thinking that they are hoping by giving everyone a free copy in china they won't have the need or motivation to create copies especially since the versions will be tracked?

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

I got my windows 10 reservation popup today, it is free, and it is the full system.

I think the difference is that , in China even if you have a pirated version you can upgrade for free. Not sure the same terms apply elsewhere.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
Windows so # Microsoft have to give it away

I hate to say it, but windows has been extremely stable for me since windows 7 . Even though I extremely hate windows 8 ,its still pretty darn solid in performance for me.

I use several different flavors of linux as well, but they are not ready to compete in a head to head battle for the typical end users.

IOS is too restrictive for my taste and IMO no different than any other propitiatory OS. Android , wouldn't be to bad if the hardware vendors wouldn't bastardize it.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: CraftBuilder
Windows 10 is free for RasPi users too.

Yeah, I'm currently running openlec and can't wait to load windows 10 on my RasPi 2 .

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

That makes sense, as this is rumoured to be windows last OS, it makes sense to get as many on board for all the add ons that will certainly be introduced over the coming years.

Windows 10 will be last OS

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Windows is struggling in the Chinese market as Kylin, an Ubuntu derivative is the state sanctioned operating system. If memory serves even Kylin is in store to be replaced by a 100% Chinese coded Linux kernel in the near future.

China is the land of spyware - they don't like us trying to import ours.

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: LoveSolMoonDeath

I've been running the Win 10 Pro Insider Preview for a while and I have to say it's really, really good.

I hated Win 8 - wouldn't use it at all, but 10 really got it right. Great features, lightning fast, really quick boot and the best features of Win 7 and even a few good ones from Win 8 along with some new stuff.

I think Google scared the bejesus out of MS and they finally woke up.

I like their new browser - Edge - (it's called Spartan in the preview) but I still like Chrome better.

YMMV, void where prohibited, etc.

edit on 6/1/2015 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Yeah I've been running the Tech preview for months now too. It's pretty damn good. Honestly I liked 8.1, better than 7 as a matter of fact. It was a very snappy os, with no compatibility issues. Yeah the Metro ui was strange, but I installed Classic Shell and it was freaking awesome. Never even have to look at Metro if you don't want to.

Anyways, so far 10 has been great, and it's been cool to see it evolve over the past few months. Very quick, pretty to look at and even being a pre-release version I've had no compatibility issues or crashes. Of course some people won't like it, every Windows release has people who think they're just fine with what they have, but I'm pretty sure there will be a lot less of that this time around because they're pretty much giving it away for free.

I've got 3 PCs and a Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet besides the laptop I've got the preview on, and all of them gave the upgrade reservation icon this morning. My brother-in-law is running a cracked pirate copy of 8.1 on his laptop and he got it too (whether it comes out activated after the upgrade remains to be seen).

In my opinion nobody should have any reservations about clicking that upgrade button.

edit on 1-6-2015 by jokerzwild because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-6-2015 by jokerzwild because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

Thanks for the inputs.

From everything I ear both my Windows 7 / Windows 8.1+Start8 computers will migrate

(post by Jesssmart removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Here in Rotterdam they have confiscated a whole tram line to promote windows 10

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join