It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows 10 free...if you live in the Empire of the Sun that is.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Microsoft has made an unprecedented move today, announcing that all Chinese Windows users will be able to upgrade to Windows 10, for free - even if you are running a pirated version.

www.afterdawn.com... ions?utm_source=newsletterENG&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20150319

recode.net...

Now now..how will they dare make us pay???
edit on 2015 3 18 by LoveSolMoonDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: LoveSolMoonDeath

Microsoft has made an unprecedented move today, announcing that all Chinese Windows users will be able to upgrade to Windows 10, for free - even if you are running a pirated version.

www.afterdawn.com... ions?utm_source=newsletterENG&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20150319

recode.net...

No probs, the Chinese will crack the free one given to them ,then we all get to use Win 10 for free

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I thought that everyone will get to upgrade to Windows 10 for free initially. Only if you do not upgrade within a years time will you be charged for the upgrade. That is at least what I thought I read.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: asen_y2k

originally posted by: LoveSolMoonDeath

recode.net...

No probs, the Chinese will crack the free one given to them ,then we all get to use Win 10 for free

And it serves them right

The nerve, Chinese people who pirated it get a free upgrade

Meanwhile, non-Chinese who bought it can likely pay for theirs (it seems?)

Up yours microsoft, I'll never buy your crappy OS anyway
edit on 18-3-2015 by Strawberry88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: feldercarb
I thought that everyone will get to upgrade to Windows 10 for free initially. Only if you do not upgrade within a years time will you be charged for the upgrade. That is at least what I thought I read.

That is exactly correct.

I plan on trying it out for free as well..

You must have windows 7 or later to get windows 10 free.. And then you have it forever..

You have 1 year after launch to get it free.
edit on 18-3-2015 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Yup.

Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users

It’s official, folks: Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for existing Windows users—as long as you claim it quickly.

Kicking off the consumer-focused Windows 10 event in Redmond on Tuesday, Microsoft operating system chief Terry Myerson announced that current users of Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free for one year after the operating system launches—even if your version of Windows is pirated. Once you’ve claimed the upgrade, Microsoft will keep you updated for the supported lifetime of the device.

“We think of Windows 10 as a service,” Myerson said.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: feldercarb

From Win 7 & 8 for the first year you're right.

blogs.windows.com...

But not for the 15 % of XP and NOT for the pirated ones here. See, one in China build a pc, he puts a Win whatever pirated from web, and get Win 10 free. Here we upgrade, there they get OS free on new PC...

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: KnightLight

That is exactly correct.

I plan on trying it out for free as well..

You must have windows 7 or later to get windows 10 free.. And then you have it forever..

You have 1 year after launch to get it free.

Not for ever if you lose a hard drive or format and forget to backup serial.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: amraks

Not for ever if you lose a hard drive or format and forget to backup serial.

Why would I do that?? I have windows 7 and serial on a USB drive right now. Do you guys never reinstall windows and clean it all out from the get go to improve computer performance??

It's normal to have passwords and data backed up.

Do it.

And then you have it forever.

And by the way for all those confused...

t's an expansion on the earlier announcement that Windows 10 would be a free upgrade for both Windows 7 and 8.1, and isn't limited to China, a Microsoft spokesperson clarified to ZDNet. Windows 10 is free with a pirated version of Windows 7 to anyone in the world.

Linky

Reading comprehension is going down hill. hahahahaha...

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   
:coughs in hand:

Linux

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful
:coughs in hand:

Linux

is yucky..

My opinion of course, maybe I'm just not geeky enough.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: KnightLight

I use Linux Mint.

Just like Windows 7 in my opinion.

About half of my games from Steam that have been converted by Steam to run on Linux do just fine, and the other half I've got running using Wine.

Of course that last part is the geekiness in me.

But it's free, computer runs MUCH faster than with Windows, and cooler too.

Very easy to use.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Woaw, now who will buy it ?????

Torr?%ts will go on hyperdrive

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Havn't tried mint or wine.. But I have gone through many nightmares of installing linux and then being stuck.. I've always liked exactly how windows is set up, and I had a linux that was similar and faster, but I couldn't get drivers to work and then it went downhill from there fast.. Because of the driver issue, then I had stability issues, as my graphics card was trying to break..

This was a while ago now though. maybe 8 years? Could be better now?

For me the big issue is software availability. I don't run a regular windows anyway.. I tweak out the registry and whatever else until I have it running smooth. I can't stand regular windows 7, and 8 is not worth talking about.

I might venture back into a dual boot.. You have me slightly inspired.

I'm hoping windows 10 is actually an improvement. So hoping...

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I wonder if I were to use my VPN and sign on as Japan local if I could upgrade.

Hmmm.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Here's what my Mint looks like:

Mint is more like Windows, and Ubuntu is more like Apple/Mac

The cool thing about Mint is: you can run it from a DVD or a USB thumb drive if you don't want to actually install it on a hard drive. Works just fine that way.

I have an actual spare 500 GB hard drive that I went ahead and installed Mint on so I could play with it. My 1 terabye hard drive is my primary with Windows 7 on it.

There is some learning, especially if you're trying to get a game that has not been converted for Linux or designed to run on Linux, but it's not quite as bad as it used to be like years ago.

Now with Steam OS and their Steam version for Linux, I was shocked at how many games they had converted.

Like Bioshock: Infinate.....you should see how well it runs on my system, hehehehehe.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Maybe Bill Gates's recent comments about the New World Order were cryptic hints about government additions to Windows 10.
edit on 18-3-2015 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Windows 10 is free for RasPi users too.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 03:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: CraftBuilder
Windows 10 is free for RasPi users too.

Lol

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

new topics

top topics