It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stigmata (The Movie)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   
At the end of the movie, they discussed another gospel that was found and the church does not accept it as real. Has there been any progress with this or any information regarding this document?

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   
There are some really good books out there. YES, the gospel of Thomas does exist and is said to be the truest gospel of Jesus, and not an interpretation, but that's up for debate.

Anyway, two really good books are:

1. Gnostic Gospel of St. Thomas -- by Malachi Eben Ha-Elijah (Author), et al

2.Beyond Belief by ELAINE PAGELS

Both should be on Amazon. I have the second and the first is in the mail.

Anyway, there is a secret society associated with the gospel, protecting in and remembering it. I have heard and know very little.

Odysseus out

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 04:51 PM
link   
the catholic church came out and called it heretic and not truth but no word of what OTHER churches have said about the matter (not that i've heard of anyway) but between what the bible says and what the gospel said "the kingdom of heavan is within you and all around you, not in mansions made of stone split a piece of wood and i am there, lift up a stone and you will find me" can you imagine if this were true it could destry alot of churches that feed upon people money (cus alot of do)

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by vonwoolf appollonia
the catholic church came out and called it heretic

Indeed (states it at the end of the film)
Overall, its an interesting film, one of my favourites. I did not know you could buy those books on Amazon ?? i searched all over the internet for them

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Pick up a copy of The Other Bible by Willis Barnstone. It is a collection of the Jewish Pseudepigrapha, Christian Apocrypha, Gnostic Scriptures, Kabbalah and Dead Sea Scrolls...

all in one convenient volume!

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Pick up a copy of The Other Bible by Willis Barnstone. It is a collection of the Jewish Pseudepigrapha, Christian Apocrypha, Gnostic Scriptures, Kabbalah and Dead Sea Scrolls...

all in one convenient volume!

thanx for that Valhall,
i take it this thread is about the banned books from the bible??

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Well, I wouldn't call them banned (unless you just want to talk toward the Catholic church)...they are excluded from the canonized Christian bible and not considered part of the Jewish Holy Scriptures (as far as the pseudepigrapha).

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Well, I wouldn't call them banned (unless you just want to talk toward the Catholic church)...they are excluded from the canonized Christian bible and not considered part of the Jewish Holy Scriptures (as far as the pseudepigrapha).

oh i see,
Catholic Church tends to ban everything it see's as a threat. I do recall Nostradamus was a fan of the "banned" books aswell as Isaac Newton.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Not so much banned, as "excluded". They simply didn't use them when they organized the books of the Bible because it either clashed with their goals, didn't mesh with their beliefs, or contradicted other books they were including. Many such books eschew organized religion for example, and they certainly didn't want ANY of that to become doctrine, hehe.... See Val's suggestions on titles and general topics to search on....

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hauss316
At the end of the movie, they discussed another gospel that was found and the church does not accept it as real. Has there been any progress with this or any information regarding this document?

‘The Gospel of Thomas’ is part of an eclectic collection of texts that have a broadly Gnostic inclination. They were found in Egypt near Nag Hammadi in 1945 by a native of that region, name of Mohamed Ali Sullaman. Although there where originally some thirteen books in the collection some of them were burnt as fuel by Mohamed’s mother whilst he was serving time in jail for murder. The remaining texts eventually came to the attention of western Scholars and where translated into English.

The texts were written in Coptic and date no earlier than the third century CE. The Gospel of Thomas was originally written in Greek, probably in northern Syria and has many similarities with the hypothetical Q Gospel. Fragments of the Greek text were found in Qxyrhynchus in 1904 but were not associated with the Gospel of Thomas until the discovery at Nag Hammadi. Although many of the texts in this collection are Gnostic in nature it is not clear that the Gospel of Thomas fits that mould. The Logions that are usually cited for this purpose are equivocal at best.

The Complete English translations of the Coptic texts may be found in ’The Nag Hammadi Library’ edited by James M. Robison. The Q gospel, The Gospel of Thomas and the Qxyrhynchus fragments may be found in the ‘Complete Gospels’ edited by Robert J. Miller.

All of the Nag Hammadi collection, along wit other Gnostic writings, may be found online at the following address.

www.gnosis.org...

I hope this helps you Hauss316

[edit on 19-2-2005 by pignut]

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 08:51 PM
link   
What the blurb at the end of the movie failed to point out is that every Christian denomination (perhaps with the exception of the Coptic Church) doesn't accept the Gospel of Thomas.

The text can be found online or in various books for sale.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Isn't their credible evidence that The Gospel of Thomas was actually written about 150 years after the Canonized Gospels? Im not sure it is credible

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Count Germails Lovechild
Isn't their credible evidence that The Gospel of Thomas was actually written about 150 years after the Canonized Gospels? Im not sure it is credible

Not sure, if I've read something about its timeline, I forgot about it...

What I do remember is that it was found in Egypt (hence the Copts may accept it), and very well may have been accepted by the Gnostics. "Gnostics" comes from "Gnosis" - "to know", or "knowledge", but their theology revolved around secret knowldege; that Christ gave His revelations to (most) everyone (as shown in the Bible) but withheld some other, hidden, secret revelation to a select few.

Traditonal Christianity of nearly every denomination rejects this.

top topics

join