It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large study concludes Homeopathy does not effectively treat any health condition

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped
a reply to: DjembeJedi

Your abrasion would have healed anyway. Doing nothing (i.e. taking homeopathic remedies) would not have affected the healing process.

Agreed...

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: gmoneystunt
a reply to: GetHyped

It is impossible to find out the information you are requesting. That does not mean your right. The point I was making is that big pharma has more money to produce these studies than homeopathy.

No it isn't. It just takes the work of going through each study and looking at where their grant money came from. It's public information, so it's more like you don't want to put forth the effort and have thus labeled it "impossible". Well that is certainly true in that if you never do it, it won't get done.

But hey let's humor your grandiose statement of impossibility. So if it is impossible to determine the studies that were paid for by Big Pharma, how can you honestly declare that most of the studies were paid for by Big Pharma? It seems to me that you are disproving your original claim with the impossibility cop out by showing that you never did the proper due diligence in the first place to honestly make the claim that these studies are sponsored by Big Pharma.
edit on 12-3-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: DjembeJedi
Wait for it...3...2...1... "It's a big pharma/scientific community conspiracy!!!!"

Wouldn't be the first time Big Pharma lied to improve their bottom line would it?

Remember the wolf? How can we just blindly believe them when they have lied and killed us so much already?

Jude11

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I know, who needs anecdotal evidence, but I bought some homeopathic eye drops for one of my kids because they had an irritated eye. I would not have bought them (since I don't believe in homeopathy) but that was all there was available at the store that was open at the time.
I used them on my daughter's eye that night and the next two days. My daughter noticed no improvement on her eye. She came from school and said that the school nurse put other drops in her eye and it fixed her right up. I asked what it was that the nurse used.... Visine.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: jude11
True, but have you got any evidence that homeopathy does work and that it is all a big conspiracy by big pharma and the scientific community?
...or just playing Devils advocate with the possibility?

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

gethyped want me to look up where the funding came from for 300 studies. I find it impossible to do it in a reasonable amount of time

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   

a reply to: StoutBroux
Why ridiculous?
There is no evidence that homeopathy works, anywhere. Unless you have some handy link to research which suggests otherwise?

By their own definition, "uses very small doses of harmful substances—which may cause symptoms in a healthy person—to treat those same symptoms in someone who’s ill".

So, I'll just take the first item off the above list as an example.

Scientific Name(s): Digitalis purpurea L.; Digitalis lanata Ehrh; Family: ... as a treatment for heart failure in addition to a range of other traditional uses. ... Digitalis leaf has a narrow therapeutic index, requiring close medical supervision for safe use. ... some use in traditional medicine include Digitalis lutea. (aka ACETYLDIGOXIN)

Digitalis lanata, like some other foxglove species, is highly toxic in all parts of the plant. The drug BETA ACETYLDIGOXIN R 0.1MG 100 pc. with PZN 3073637 at a price of 12,25 EUR incl. 19% VAT is 9 only available on prescription

edit on 12-3-2015 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   

a reply to: Krazysh0t

gethyped want me to look up where the funding came from for 300 studies. I find it impossible to do it in a reasonable amount of time

I know what he wanted you to do and I'm telling you that it isn't impossible. You just don't want to back up your original claim. For one, how long is a "reasonable amount of time"? There are no time limits for you to supply a follow up answer to gethyped's request. You could take a year to go through those 300 studies and post a follow up then.

In reality, what happened was gethyped called you on your hyperbole and you offer a weak rationalization on why you didn't want to follow through on it. All this just illuminates that you really don't know what you are talking about and are just parroting science denialism talking points to agree with your confirmation bias.
edit on 12-3-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock
a reply to: grainofsand

Something to look at if you haven't seen it.

Coley's Toxins

From your link:

According to an article in the Iowa Orthopedic Journal, Coley's toxins were opposed by the medical establishment despite his reports of good results, because his reports were not believed to be credible.

How does this prove that homeopathy works, or were you showing that it doesn't?
edit on 12-3-2015 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   
You do actually understand how 'small' these doses are in homeopathy yeah?
Active ingredients in medical drugs are vastly higher, so I still don't see your claim standing up.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: roth1
Yeah right, and the human body does not need any vitamins or nutrients. A bunch of BS to sell Pharmaceuticals.

What does that have to do with homeopathy and its uselessness?

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I have been told the British health service uses acupuncture these days, also cod liver oil and evening primrose oil does keep my bone joints from hurting so much, some days no ache at all.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Grrrrr. And they have been deceiving us to believe that these vaccines work all along. Vaccines would be considered a homeopathy practice to build up immunity to something.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Why ridiculous?
There is no evidence that homeopathy works, anywhere. Unless you have some handy link to research which suggests otherwise?

Are you aware of the massive body of evidence showing how effective placebo is? In almost every double blind study ever performed, there is a significant number of cases where placebo is as effective as the treatment under test. If you "net" against the side effects, non-invasive treatments, including derivatives of naturally occurring substances are a lot closer to synthetic pharmaceuticals than you think.

In today's paradigm, the merit of synthetic compounds are measured by first finding something that can be patented for profit. Secondly the test regimes isolating and promoting "effects". Finally, the side effects are heavily discounted by warped science and marketing. Holistic approaches baseline against the precautionary principle and are measured by netting both effects and side effects equally.

Medical science is having a severe cancer of purpose and integrity.

"It is simply no longer possible to believe much of the clinical research that is published, or to rely on the judgment of trusted physicians or authoritative medical guidelines. I take no pleasure in this conclusion, which I reached slowly and reluctantly over my two decades as an editor of The New England Journal of Medicine." -Marcia Angell, MD ("Drug Companies and Doctors: A story of Corruption." NY Review of Books, Jan. 15, 2009.)

All the money and PR firms in the world won't stop people from figuring it out. They will resort to force and control of teh internet when the PR fails. Familiarize yourself with the Nuremberg code and the precautionary principle

These are ideas that Pharma profit machines would like you to be ignorant of. So what are you going to do?

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   

a reply to: GetHyped

It is impossible to find out the information you are requesting. That does not mean your right. The point I was making is that big pharma has more money to produce these studies than homeopathy.

If homeopathy had one study that proved it was as effective as traditional medicine, that would be enough. One was enough from "big pharma" proving it doesn't work. The other 299 were used as backup to support it.

In 1931, a book was published, "100 Authors Against Einstein." Albert Einstein's response: "If I were wrong, then one would be enough."

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped

Big Pharma also makes homeopathic medicine.

Homeopathy is nothing but magical snake oil. It's utter horse sh#t.

Except when big pharma makes it?

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass
Are you aware of the massive body of evidence showing how effective placebo is? In almost every double blind study ever performed, there is a significant number of cases where placebo is as effective as the treatment under test.
Yes, when people believe it will work, not because homeopathy actually does anything. Placebo is a pretty poor argument to support claims that homeopathy produces positive results. Might as well just use a plain glass of water and lie to the patient, far easier.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
POST REMOVED BY STAFF
edit on Thu Mar 12 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
How exactly is Homeopathy different from Immunotherapy (or allergy shots)? Seems like the same = reasoning and methodology.

WebMD

Allergy shots help your body get used to allergens, the things that trigger an allergic reaction. They don’t cure allergies, but eventually your symptoms will get better and you may not have allergic reactions as often. Allergy shots, also called "immunotherapy," may work for you if allergy drugs don’t work well or you have symptoms more than three months a year.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join