It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large study concludes Homeopathy does not effectively treat any health condition

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   
can't say I'm surprised by the results here...
From IFL Science and Dailymail.uk

Homeopathy is an alternative form of medicine that uses very small doses of harmful substances—which may cause symptoms in a healthy person—to treat those same symptoms in someone who’s ill. Some think that the “memory” of the original substance (usually chemicals or plant and animal material) retained in the highly diluted preparations will help provoke the body into action. Others say homeopathy is not only ineffective, it’s dangerous, especially when used as a substitute for approved treatments with a good record of safety and effectiveness.

Now, an extensive analysis of 225 controlled studies and some 1,800 papers—ranging from evidence provided by homeopathy interest groups to government guidelines —has confirmed what many researchers have long suspected: Homeopathy is not an effective way to treat any health conditions. Not muscle soreness, not sleep disturbances, not rheumatoid arthritis.

The study was conducted by Australia’s National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC), and to avoid bias, the evidence was assessed by an independent contractor. “No good-quality, well-designed studies with enough participants for a meaningful result reported either that homeopathy caused greater health improvements than placebo, or caused health improvements equal to those of another treatment,” the report found.

The entire information paper is available online [pdf].

“There will be a tail of people who won’t respond to this report, and who will say it’s all a conspiracy of the establishment,” NHMRC Homeopathy Working Committee chair Paul Glasziou tells the Guardian. “But we hope there will be a lot of reasonable people out there who will reconsider selling, using or subsiding these substances.”

The Australian Homeopathic Association has responded with a statement, saying how the NHMRC should consider a large-scale economic evaluation of the benefits of a "more integrated system” that supports "patient choice." According to the AHA, an estimated one million Australians choose homeopathy as part of their healthcare.

However, as NHMRC CEO Warwick Anderson warned in a news release: "People who choose homeopathy may put their health at risk if they reject or delay treatments for which there is good evidence for safety and effectiveness.”

for further PROOF..watch this woman "Overdose" on homeopathic pills...

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: DjembeJedi
Wait for it...3...2...1... "It's a big pharma/scientific community conspiracy!!!!"

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Funny, by their own definition:

Homeopathy is an alternative form of medicine that uses very small doses of harmful substances—which may cause symptoms in a healthy person—to treat those same symptoms in someone who’s ill.

That definition alone would place 99% of modern pharmaceuticals as ineffective in treating any health conditions.

What a ridiculous report.

Today there are at least 120 distinct chemical substances derived from plants that are considered as important drugs currently in use in one or more countries in the world. These chemical substances are shown in the table below. Several of the drugs sold today are simple synthetic modifications or copies of the naturally obtained substances

Acetyldigoxin, Cardiotonic, Digitalis lanata
Adoniside Cardiotonic Adonis vernalis
Aescin Anti-inflammatory Aesculus hippocastanum
Aesculetin Anti-dysentery Frazinus rhychophylla
Agrimophol Anthelmintic Agrimonia supatoria
Ajmalicine Circulatory Disorders Rauvolfia sepentina
Allantoin Vulnerary Several plants
Allyl isothiocyanate Rubefacient Brassica nigra
Anabesine Skeletal muscle relaxant Anabasis sphylla
Andrographolide Baccillary dysentery Andrographis paniculata
Anisodamine Anticholinergic Anisodus tanguticus
Anisodine Anticholinergic Anisodus tanguticus
Arecoline Anthelmintic Areca catechu
Asiaticoside Vulnerary Centella asiatica
Atropine Anticholinergic Atropa belladonna
Benzyl benzoate Scabicide Several plants
www.rain-tree.com...

see link for a more complete list.

It's not the drug itself, it's who's PROFITING by selling it that they're so concerned about.
edit on 12-3-2015 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux
Why ridiculous?
There is no evidence that homeopathy works, anywhere. Unless you have some handy link to research which suggests otherwise?

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
Wait for it...3...2...1... "It's a big pharma/scientific community conspiracy!!!!"

lol..believe me I thought twice before I clicked the post button..lol
Cheers!

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

most of these studies are done by big pharma to discredit homeopathy. Homeopathy does not get funded like pharmaceuticals. So most of the studies are biased.

The essential oil of thyme (thymus vulgaris) is utilized as a flavor enhancer in a wide variety of foods, beverages, confectionery products and in perfumery for the scenting of soaps and lotions.1 It possesses some antiseptic, bronchiolytic, antispasmodic and antimicrobial properties that make it popular as a medicinal herb and as a preservative for foods.
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Thyme has some antimicrobial properties is enough to show that homeopathy works. According to your study we should take thymol out of our mouthwash because it doesn't work.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   
There is enough homeopathic medicine that works like Calendula ointment or anti allergy drops.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

Big Pharma also makes homeopathic medicine.

Homeopathy is nothing but magical snake oil. It's utter horse sh#t.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: LogJammer

No, magic water isn't real.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: gmoneystunt

most of these studies are done by big pharma to discredit homeopathy. Homeopathy does not get funded like pharmaceuticals. So most of the studies are biased.

The essential oil of thyme (thymus vulgaris) is utilized as a flavor enhancer in a wide variety of foods, beverages, confectionery products and in perfumery for the scenting of soaps and lotions.1 It possesses some antiseptic, bronchiolytic, antispasmodic and antimicrobial properties that make it popular as a medicinal herb and as a preservative for foods.
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Thyme has some antimicrobial properties is enough to show that homeopathy works. According to your study we should take thymol out of our mouthwash because it doesn't work.
Yawn, the study in the OP was carried out by the National Health and Medical Research Council of the Australian government, here's a link to the actual paper: Statement on Homeopathy

This is what the UK NHS say about it

A 2010 House of Commons Science and Technology Committee report on homeopathy said that homeopathic remedies perform no better than placebos, and that the principles on which homeopathy is based are "scientifically implausible".
This is also the view of the Chief Medical Officer, Professor Dame Sally Davies.

Believe whatever you like of course, but if Thyme and mouthwash is the best you got to claim that homeopathy works please excuse me if I laugh out loud.

link   

most of these studies are done by big pharma to discredit homeopathy.

Care to point out which of the near-300 studies included were funded by Big Pharma? "Most" is a lot, I'm sure you have a lot of evidence so please, let's see your list. Or are we taking the homeopathic route of "less evidence means stronger evidence!"?
edit on 12-3-2015 by GetHyped because: (no reason given)

link   

Something to look at if you haven't seen it.

Coley's Toxins

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Magical water with less than 1 molecule than all of the atoms in the universe?

Seems very reasonable to me!

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Logarock

What does this have to do with magical water?

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I've used Calendula ointments in the past and YES my abrasion did heal BUT it heals just the same and faster with Bacitracin the title of the thread says "Large study concludes Homeopathy does not effectively treat any health condition" EFFECTIVELY..that means it works sometimes but not enough to warrant a Thumbs up. Or am I wrong with that definition?
To be open I am neither for or against homeopathics as a health option. Just relaying the facts ... I would use it if no others were available I guess who wouldn't...BUT not my 1st option..

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   
In this thread:

Magic water believers trying very hard to discredit the study and offer up non sequiturs to protect their magical believes from empirical evidence and prior plausibility.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Your abrasion would have healed anyway. Doing nothing (i.e. taking homeopathic remedies) would not have affected the healing process.

link   
Yeah right, and the human body does not need any vitamins or nutrients. A bunch of BS to sell Pharmaceuticals.

link   
a reply to: GetHyped

It is impossible to find out the information you are requesting. That does not mean your right. The point I was making is that big pharma has more money to produce these studies than homeopathy.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Logarock
Yep, just read it, nothing in your link remotely supports any claims that homeopathy works. In fact, both Cancer UK and the American Cancer Society are quoted there as saying there is no evidence that "Coley's Toxins" work either.
Need more than that Wiki to convince me.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join