It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Local News posting video and names of children who were victims of attempted luring

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 01:35 AM
link   
You have to be s-ing me.

A man is driving around, attempting to get young boys in his truck, and the local news in all it's wisdom is posting the NAME of one of the 10 year old boys and also showing an interview with him.

I can't believe this is legal. If kids are involved, there should be no names, no video, no nothing. The guy who went after these kids knows what they look like. Giving this jackass a name and information that the kid has gone to authorities and news is asking for bad things. It wouldn't take a genius to figure out what school this kid goes to considering the size of the town.

Looking at the mother (yeah, I'm judging a book by it's cover) she isn't going to be making any intelligent decisions. She clearly didn't by allowing the local news to interview her son and use his name and the video.

Here's a link to the dumbassery I just saw, I figure at this point it won't make the situation any worse.

I get that you may want to call my a hypocrite, but think about it for a second. The damage is done, I'm highlighting the damage that's been done, hoping that people get pissed and when they see this kind of BS flood any news station that throws a kid under the bus for ratings with strong opinions.

I would really like someone to point out my being irrationally angry about this.

This whole thing just seems crazy to me.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 01:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I thought it was illegal to publicly post the names of minors ??

Or is it only without the parents' consent ?

If the news is interviewing this poor kid, then I'm assuming the parents are perfectly okay with using their kid as a means to getting their 15 minutes of fame.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see how this is a big deal. We have bigger fish to fry.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I thought that was illegal. All of the news stories I ever saw with kids involved never mentioned their names and said it was because they were minors. What were these idiots thinking?

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Offering a devil's advocate point of view here...

The mother, child, and news station may have thought that this was the best way to go. Judging from the news, this happened to another little boy the day before and there were concerns of it continuing.

Who listens to kids the most??

Other kids.

If other kids watch this they may well listen to it more coming from one of their own, than from a bunch of adults who "never want them to have any fun".

Getting this news out and having this little boy tell his story may very well help save another child.

I understand your reasoning as well. I'm a parent and I'm not sure I would have done this myself.

Hopefully they will catch this guy and put him away until the sun no longer shines and this little boy goes on with his life without any ramifications resulting from the attempt or the attention afterwards.

BTW - That's the way I look going to the grocery store on any given day. Hoodie, baseball hat, ponytail, and all... Just saying.
edit on 3/11/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Sure alert the community that kids are in danger. But really, names, now the perpetrators can find where they live and family's social media information. Plus, as mentioned already, thought that minors names being posted in the news is illegal. Wow, they may want to check into why that exists as such.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 02:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see how this is a big deal. We have bigger fish to fry.

Yep. Inform the public (done). Go find the creeper driving around in a blue ford pick-up (pending). Deal with him (probably won't happen the way it 'should').

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I wouldn't worry, I am betting they snatch up kids at opportunistic times only.

Having said that, if I had kids, I wouldn't allow it, I wouldn't post their pics all over social media either.

They need to do a little "sting" with a Barrett 50 cal.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 03:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Do you really think it's necessary for the news to use the kids full name and show his face in order to warn other kids?

Using the child's full name and showing video of the kid is incredibly stupid. It's not hard to find a person's address without a full name, but this guy now has the full name and a perfect picture/video of the kid.

I'm fine with having the story go out, I think that's important to protect other kids. Giving the child's name and showing video? Kanga are you serious? I just can't imagine how anyone thinks that's OK. Tell the story, let the kid talk, but don't give his name and don't show his face!

top topics

join