It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
The problem is the rebels refuse to allow OSCE monitors into the region so there is absolutely no confirmation the rebels have pulled out.
While at the airport, between 10:15 and 11:40hrs, the SMM heard at least 50 explosions, mostly from automatic grenade launchers, as well as small-arms and heavy-machine gun fire at a location less than one kilometre north-west of the Donetsk airport new terminal. The SMM assessed that most of the fire was incoming but could not ascertain the origin of the incoming fire. Between 11:40 and 12:05hrs the SMM heard several incoming mortar rounds approximately 300 to 500 meters north-west of its location but could not ascertain the origin of the incoming fire.
* Restrictions on SMM access and freedom of movement:
The SMM is restrained in fulfilling its monitoring functions by security considerations including the lack of information on whereabouts of landmines, and restrictions imposed by third parties.
The security situation in Donbas is fluid and unpredictable and the cease-fire does not hold everywhere. For this reason, the SMM requires security guarantees from “DPR” and “LPR” which are not always provided. Where such guarantees are limited to escorted movements, and escorts are not provided for all planned patrols or are delayed, this also represents a restriction of SMM freedom of movement.
In particular during the reporting period:
-In government-controlled Hrodivka, a Ukrainian Armed forces commander prevented the SMM from monitoring the movement of heavy weapons beyond that location.
- On the way to Svobodne (56km south-south-west of Donetsk), where the SMM planned to monitor a Ukrainian Armed Forces convoy, the SMM was stopped at a Ukrainian Armed Forces checkpoint west of Volnovakha (51km south-south-west of Donetsk). The commander of the checkpoint requested and was told the names and nationalities of all the SMM monitors. The SMM repeatedly asked for permission to pass the checkpoint, but the commander said he was still awaiting permission from the brigade commander. The SMM decided to turn back towards Donetsk.
- At a Ukrainian Armed Forces checkpoint in Volnovakha (51km south-south-west of Donetsk) the SMM was refused passage and had to change its route and had to proceed southwards to Mariupol. At a Ukrainian Armed Forces checkpoint located 2km north of Mariupol (115km south of Donetsk) the SMM was stopped again and had to wait for over 30 minutes. Not having received approval to proceed, the SMM decided to take an alternative route to return to Donetsk city.
- While on its way to a previously visited concentration of Ukrainian Armed Forces site in the northern part of the Donetsk region, the SMM was restricted in its freedom of movement at a checkpoint – located 20km to the north-west from the junction of roads to Artemivsk and Soledar -manned by Ukrainian Armed forces personnel and thereby prevented to verify the withdrawal of the previously monitored heavy weapons.
- While in “LPR”-controlled Parkhomenko (29km east of Luhansk) the SMM was stopped by “border guards” for a document check. The “border guards” asked for special authorization for patrols in the border area which they explained to the SMM as 15km from the contact line.
Source : Latest OCSE Report
originally posted by: ColCurious
a reply to: Xcathdra
The UNSC is - once again - incompetent.
We had several leaders ask for a mandate to send an implementation force for Ukraine, like IFOR in Bosnia, after NATO dissolved the former Federal Republic of Yugoslavia.
Chancellor Merkel, Hollande, Prososhenko and Putin expressed the need for a peacekeeping mission, given that certain elements in the conflict are no longer (if ever) under controll by Kiev OR the Donetsk People's Republic.
The fact that we don't have this force by now shows that some players are not interested to settle this conflict peacefully, or with the current demarcation.
originally posted by: Dimithae
a reply to: Xcathdra
It seems that even now the UN is getting fed up with Ukraine and NATO's nonsense. NATO is once again over estimating everything and going on about how much worse the situation is in Ukraine,and yet other UN members have their own sources there that are not backing up this info at all. And as another poster pointed out,the OSCE was WITH Motorola at the airport when they came under fire. This is a fight the USA wants to keep pushing with NATO.But it would be in the EU's back yard and they don't want it. Right now they want both us and NATO to 'stand down' and stop pushing for more trouble. The don't need peace keepers and it wasn't in the Minsk agreement to have them. They have the OSCE there to witness and verify what is going on. The OSCE has verified that the pro Russians have pulled back their heavy armaments,They are still to do this with Kiev,and are getting a lot of run around while Kiev plays games with them.
originally posted by: Dimithae
... The OSCE has verified that the pro Russians have pulled back their heavy armaments,They are still to do this with Kiev,and are getting a lot of run around while Kiev plays games with them.
originally posted by: Xcathdra
* - Ukraine - Security Council, 7400th Meeting - Humanitarian Briefing - English Translation
originally posted by: all2human
a reply to: intrptr
The UN, like the OP has lost all credibility or legal merit as a neutral body, it only exists to further the NWO agenda and preserve USA geo- political hegemony, As long as it turns a blind eye to the violations of certain countries, the myopic support of ethnic cleansing within Ukraine, consider their statements and actions theatrics or proof of the above.