It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NOAA Announces Arrival Of El Niño, 2015 Poised To Beat 2014 For Hottest Year

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   
El NINO IS BACK! Even though it's weaker this year, 2015 is set to break the World's heat record which was just set last year (2014). This is because 2014 had no El Nino and still set a record so now as long as there is no La Nina which equals dramatic cooling, we should break the world heat record according to the article.

If even a weak El Niño does persist through summer, 2015 will almost certainly top 2014 as the hottest year on record. But there is a good chance it will do so in any case (unless a La Niña forms). After all, 2014 was the hottest year on record even though there was no official El Niño during the year. It’s just hard to stop the march of human-caused global warming — without actually sharply cutting greenhouse gas emissions.
Significantly, because 1998 was an unusually strong “super El Niño,” and because we haven’t had an El Niño since 2010, it appeared for a while (to some) as if global warming had slowed — if you cherry-picked a relatively recent start year (and ignored the rapid warming in the oceans, where 90 percent of human-caused planetary warming goes). In fact, however, several recent studies confirmed that planetary warming continues apace everywhere you look.

What's the answer, ATS? 10 of the hottest years on record have been after 1998.
www.climatecentral.org...

Now were set to break the heat record for 2015. I know some here on ATS say that increasing global temperatures(C02) is actually good for the environment and good for plant growth, but I think not. It may be good for a while but I think at some point the negatives will outweigh any positives. What says ATS?

thinkprogress.org...

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Why, that's strange...

For 2014 being the hottest year on record....I certainly did hear "Polar Vortex" an awful lot. And, hasn't the NE coast of the US been blanketed with snow....a...."snowmageddon" ????

More fodder for the Global Warming™ parrots...

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Now were set to break the heat record for 2015.

How so ?

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   

This is an annual thread topic for you...

From a long time SoCal resident, their models are put out because they just going thru the motions when if fact there is no normal weather pattern at all...nor will there be especially California.

Just cut-off low pressures and two massive storms have been our rain so far. Last years thread said small El nino and I didn't see any proof with "pineapple express" moisture. That is a far distant memory.

ETA: One storm "shot" from north west Mexico thru LA.
No explaination from NOAA...just silence.
edit on 5-3-2015 by Granite because: sp

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides

Why, that's strange...

For 2014 being the hottest year on record....I certainly did hear "Polar Vortex" an awful lot. And, hasn't the NE coast of the US been blanketed with snow....a...."snowmageddon" ????

Global warming is real. Anyone with half an ounce of knowledge in science and chemistry can tell you that global warming causes severe cold. That's why they call it climate change now, because "global warming" was too confusing for rednecks who couldn't be bothered to actually research the topic.

The global warming at first will create weird weather patterns. We are in store for some very hot summers and frigid winters. Hot, cold, hot, cold, and end with cold and stay cold.

It's like putting ice cubes in a glass of water. The water gets colder, and the air above it also gets colder. That's what happens when global warming melts the glaciers, and the cold water flows into the warmer oceans.

See, you need that global warming first in order to have an ice age. Look at historical data: Before any ice age, it was always extremely hot before the ice age rolled in. This was of course natural though, this was before humans were creating global warming. The difference is, the earth's natural global warming patterns were spread out over thousands of years. We can be sure humans are to blame now, as this recent global warming is spread out over only a few decades, not thousands of years like a natural warming period.

It's fine, enjoy your denial of the problem humans are making. In most of our lifetimes, it won't just be extremely hot during the summer and extremely cold during the winter every year. It will be winter year round. Enjoy that.

And I'm also a gun toting redneck myself, who is also buried under about 7ft of snow right now, but unlike many of my associates I have a simple understanding of how heat and energy work. Makes the family dinners interesting...
edit on 5-3-2015 by WP4YT because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: WP4YT

Why, that's strange...

Global warming is real.

Global climate change is real. Things are cyclical.

Global Warming™ is a creation of Al Gore.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Yesterday we broke a record of 87 degrees and today it was 88. Well, I am loving it, but that means there will be a lot of moisture in the air heading up north to freeze my relatives in the form of snow.

I am still barbecuing every chance.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: WP4YT

Why, that's strange...

Global warming is real.

Global climate change is real. Things are cyclical.

Global Warming™ is a creation of Al Gore.

I edited my post, sorry about that.

Earth does have it's own warming and cooling patterns, but those happen over a several thousand year time frame. But we can be sure we must be to blame for the recent warming, as it's happened in only a few decades.That's never happened before, not once before humans became industrialized.

Yes, correlation does not always equal causation, but it's hard to argue against this one.
edit on 5-3-2015 by WP4YT because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   

I'm still waiting for an explanation how 2015 is set to break the heat record.

Hint: El Nino does not play a role in AGW heat record keeping with regards to CO2 radiative forcing.

So if this climatecentral.org blog site is claiming that a 2015 El Nino is going to aid the AGW heat record for proving that the climate models are on track with CO2/temperature rising trends...

... then my friend, you just ate the blue pill - hook, line, and sinker.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: WP4YT

But we can be sure we must be to blame for the recent warming

Here's a few nails and a couple planks of wood. Let us know if you need help getting up there.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Granite

Lost, I am 4 hours North of you and we have now reached a point in rain totals being 8% lower than average.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Well, it's about time it got here, we've been pretty cold this year. El Nino sounds like a Spanish name, that explains why it doesn't come around when you really need it. I think it's afraid of cold weather.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Good,

I'm ready for this winter to end.

I'm ready to bbq, fish, and swim.

Who is with me?

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: CaticusMaximus

Why, that's strange...

Its not strange at all if you are familiar with basic math.

Do you realize that your own local weather is not necessarily congruent with global climate? And do you understand the basic, pre-algebraic concept of averages?

I ask because your comment suggests you do not.

I mean this is pretty basic stuff here. If you are not able to understand these simple things, I dont think you are able to really give us or anyone else an opinion worthy of consideration about something that requires you to fully understand both, because it means you do not understand elementary math and science, let alone the complexities of a planetary climate system.

Every year, there is heating and cooling and then scientists, prompted by politicians, give funny names to things...

****We pause for a brief commercial announcement****

These global warming/ACC threads are actually the best. I get hours of laughs reading these rabid posts. I can just visualize Al Gore and ACC supporters foaming at the mouth, banging their heads on monitors and keyboards because we, the apostates, don't agree with your newfangled religion. Why don't you just become Scientologists and play with some e-meters, wouldn't that be funner?

****Back to our regular programming****

Where was I? Oh yeah, funny names to make it so we can relate to whatever BS is being spewed for the political agenda of the day. I hate to tell you this, but after all the scientific fraud and fudging the numbers and climategate and that vacuous asshat, Gore (me no worry, jet fool good for environment, me fool you long time), tooling around in his private jet while he reaps the profits from carbon trading based on his ACC BS, we've had enough, at least I have. If we're meant to go extinct, we will, if were not, we won't and all the bitching and moaning and trying to get us all to covert to your religion, just isn't going to happen.

You're not real life versions of The Borg and I certainly won't be assimilated. You shouldn't try to assimilate people anyway, it makes an ass out of you and an imilate out of me ;-)

Cheers - Dave
edit on 3/5.2015 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: liejunkie01

Sorry bro. I guess you missed the memo/reports/papers, but you guys are going to see crappier and crappier weather each year.

The world as a whole warms, you know it is an average. Unfortunately, you guys are going to see more extremes in the seasons.

edit on 5-3-2015 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   
breaking news

winters will be cold and summers will be warm. sometimes even really hot and really cold. Some winters we will have massive amounts of snowfall. Some summers summers the will be drought. Also we will see things like hurricanes, tornados, floods, tsunami waves, earthquakes etc. etc. in different areas.

also ....people around the world will die in a different variety of ways. Some due illness, some due to age, some due to freakish accidents, some reckless behavior, and some due to war.

no need to be alarmed. This can all be fixed if we abandon current methods of energy usage and abandon the system completely. make sure to support a representative in the democratic party that shares these views because everyone else is unethical and wants to destroy the earth. we must learn to value our natural resources and cherish life both man and animal.

I would say more but I have to get to the airport and fly across the country for a fundraising event at an abortion clinic. after that i will be flying back across the country to New Mexico to kill off a bunch of cattle that some rancher is letting graze on empty government land.

also...anyone not sharing these ideals is a terrorist.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Ok, just read this on Science Daily. So which one is actually right? www.sciencedaily.com...

This title states there will be little effect on the weather. Basically same article but title is different.
edit on 5-3-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   
en.m.wikipedia.org...

I was talking about this in an earlier thread. We're going to keep having warmer years, until we hit the next "ice age". As far as "man made" climate change goes, the only thing that's really man made about it, is the sensationalist fear mongering that goes along with it.

If you click the above link, it'll take you to a global temperature record page in Wikipedia. The first graph you see, is the one parroted by the scientific community, representing only a 135 year span in or temperature data, which is blown up and emphasized, to make you think we are accomplishing thousands of years of rising temps in just a few decades. Which ironically enough, has already been stated by an above member.

If you go down and click on the long term ice core sample tab, it'll bring you to the temperature record which goes back 800,000 years.

The two are rather easy to compare, as it is rather easy to come to the conclusion that our man-made climate change is more to make people environmentally friendly, than to actually help with the rising temperatures.

I'm not saying that its necessarily a bad thing to green and sustainable, but the belief that taxing everyone out of house and home, along with gaining corporate monopoly on food supplies is something I do have a very big problem with.

Word.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join