It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit's 'Walking Man' Walks On

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Here you go people, just wait for it because in this article we have exactly what the crux of the issue is. I don't care what the TV tells you as long as people are working in factories making thing they themselves can't afford the economy WILL and has to crash. Its out of balance. But go ahead... read on and pass your judgements from your high horses and tell this man he doesn't work hard enough and that he hasn't taken responsibility for his life.

Detroit's 'Walking Man' Walks On

So you take the bus to the Detroit city limits — 8 Mile Road — and you transfer to another bus that takes you as far as the mall at 16 Mile Road. Stranded, you have to walk another seven miles to get to your $10.55-an-hour factory job making plastic parts for automobiles you can't afford.

The guys just a total loser who didn't go to college and become one of the millions of engineers already out of work.

he doesn't deserve a car anyway he doesn't work hard enough.

edit on 2/27/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/27/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Someone is bound to come on this thread and say that illegals work harder as migrant workers and get paid less. Then someone else would say it's the black community's fault for destroying the inner city starting back in the late 60's riots.

I've used the bus when I was in Detroit and have an idea of this guy's plight. It is an incomplete system for getting around without a car.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Ive been riding the bus for years and let me tell you. if you work a 10 hour day and you have to ride a bus back and forth then its probably going to turn into a 12-14 hour day.

The bus system in this country was designed for the 1950's not 2015.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I will say that there are some...interesting people to meet on the public bus system. Greyhound buses too. I've met quite a few "characters" traveling by bus...

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Yeah me too. I've also almost gotten robbed and killed before as well too so it can be dangerous.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Yep, I'd believe that. I met a guy who was certain he was going to take over the world with robots, and a woman who thought there were bats inside the bus.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Why are you fanning a fire on an issue that has reached a positive resolution?

Don't spoil a "good thing" by raking up muck.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   

I used to live across the street from a place that gave homeless people a meal, a shower, and a bus pass for free. Well i was about 18 and i had to get the bus for work there and this one guy comes up to me and asks me for a dollar and i told him i couldnt give him one sorry man. If i gave everyone i met there a dollar i would be homeless too. Once in a while id help someone out but i was 18 living on my own and struggling. Well i pulled out my wallet and the guy say a $5 bill. He came and sat next to me and started threatening me and telling me i was this and that so i tried to get up and he wouldnt let me get up. Well this old man came and started talking to the guy and the guy got up and went back and talked to the old man for a while so i stood up and didnt take another seat, i was preparing for something to go wrong. Well the guy came and stood next to me and started pushing me and being billy badass at the time having had won a bunch of amateur boxing competitions i pushed the guy back and told him to f*** off. Well the old man came over and said hey just relax and whispered in my ear, "hes got a knife hes going to stab you dont get off the bus".

So we came to a bus stop and i told the guy, "you wanna fight come on lets do it right now?"

So the guy says ," yeah white boy lets do it". Now the guy is huge, looks like he just got out of prison hes built but clearly on drugs and been drinking.

So i say, "go ahead get off the bus lets do it" so the guy steps off the off and i make it look like im about to get off the bus and the driver closes the door and pulls off.

Talk about close calls. Thank god the old man was there. I was the only white kid in town i had to rent a place in a really bad neighborhood because i couldnt afford anything else. Its funny because i experienced a lot of racism in that area. Couldnt shop there had to carry a knife around at night when i was walking home from work lots of shooting that kind of thing.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   
One thing about Detroit and the whole area that's a good thing- is that it's amazingly flat.

Linea Segundo

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
The real question is, why is anyone still in Detroit?

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Ive been riding the bus for years and let me tell you. if you work a 10 hour day and you have to ride a bus back and forth then its probably going to turn into a 12-14 hour day.

The bus system in this country was designed for the 1950's not 2015.

Public transportation isn't known for keeping up to date (or working for that matter).

Out MBTA just stopped running trains because it was snowing. They extorted everyone in the city for a bigger budget which they likely got, just like the police union.
edit on 27-2-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   

I kinda don't get where you're going with the OP. To me that article seemed way more about people being douchebags when someone known to them has an economic windfall.

Clearly people thought he deserved more considering $350,000 was raised to help him.

I completely agree that there are a great many problems and just the desire (and in this man's case overwhelming desire) to work doesn't mean you're getting ahead, or sometimes even staying above water, even if you also work your ass off.

OP can I suggest a book to you (and really anyone else)? Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America by Barbara Ehrenreich.

I had to read it for an entry level English class a long time ago, and it was a fascinating and rather depressing book. It highlights just how hard it can be if you're working and poor.

The author goes undercover and works various low wage jobs.

Ehrenreich investigates many of the difficulties low wage workers face, including the hidden costs involved in such necessities as shelter (the poor often have to spend much more on daily hotel costs than they would pay to rent an apartment if they could afford the security deposit and first-and-last month fees) and food (e.g., the poor have to buy food that is both more expensive and less healthy than they would if they had access to refrigeration and appliances needed to cook).

Foremost, she attacks the notion that low-wage jobs require unskilled labor. The author, a journalist with a Ph.D. in cell biology, found manual labor taxing, uninteresting and degrading. She says that the work required incredible feats of stamina, focus, memory, quick thinking, and fast learning. Constant and repeated movement creates a risk of repetitive stress injury; pain must often be worked through to hold a job in a market with constant turnover; and the days are filled with degrading and uninteresting tasks (e.g. toilet-cleaning and mopping). She also details several individuals in management roles who served mainly to interfere with worker productivity, to force employees to undertake pointless tasks, and to make the entire low-wage work experience even more miserable.

When someone works for less pay than she can live on ... she has made a great sacrifice for you .... The "working poor" ... are in fact the major philanthropists of our society. They neglect their own children so that the children of others will be cared for; they live in substandard housing so that other homes will be shiny and perfect; they endure privation so that inflation will be low and stock prices high. To be a member of the working poor is to be an anonymous donor, a nameless benefactor, to everyone. (p. 221)

Link

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Wow awesome looking into it now. Thanks.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Yeah man, anytime. She really hits on a ton of issues facing the "working poor". There were a lot of things I never would have thought of.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 01:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
I will say that there are some...interesting people to meet on the public bus system. Greyhound buses too. I've met quite a few "characters" traveling by bus...

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: LOSTinAMERICA

Lol.

Never underestimate anyone ever.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Not to be a dick, but there must be hundreds or even thousands of people working the same shift that drive to work and pass right by this dude walking every single day. Maybe he could ask around and make a friend to catch a ride with after so many years?

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

This is very weird to me, seems the bus system in the US is relegated to mostly poor people and crazy mavericks.

If I take the bus in my small city it will more or less be filled with a representative slice of the general population, people from all walks of life, probably not government ministers but you get the idea.

Makes me want to go to the US to ride buses and meet all these Kramer like fringes of society characters. Maybe I should move to San Francisco, many people like that around there?

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I think a lot of people fail to realize public transportation in the vast majority of US cities is almost a form of subsidized welfare. When you take into account the cost of fuel, driver paychecks, maintenance paychecks, administration paychecks, and infrastructure costs, that $3.00 cross town ticket to ride in a bus 1/4 full doesn't even come close to paying for the service. Then take into account that all of the subsidies require money taken from the same overstressed pool that pays for fire, police, subsidized low income rent, local food assistance, parks and recreation, schools, and infrastructure maintenance and improvements and damn, something has to give. If you have 10% of your population that actually use the public transportation, it makes perfect sense that budget items used by a larger percentage MUST take priority.

top topics

join