It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oerlikon 35mm Revolver Gun (1000 rounds per minute)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:10 AM
link   
This is, in my mind, the most amazing piece of weaponry I have ever seen! SA signed a contract and ordered some just last year!!

The Oerlikon Millennium 35mm Naval Gun System is a Close-in weapon system designed by Oerlikon (a Rheinmetall subsidiary) for mounting on ships. It is based on the new Oerlikon 35 mm revolver cannon land based Air defense system, and uses AHEAD ammunition. A device at the muzzle end of the barrel measures the exact speed of each round as it is fired, and automatically sets the fuse to detonate the round as it approaches a pre-set distance from the target. Each round disperses 152 small projectiles to strike the incoming target. Whilst these are too small to do major damage in themselves, the accumulation of damage from multiple strikes is expected to destroy wings and control surfaces, sensors and aerodynamics, causing the target to crash. Other firing modes are designed to be effective against surface targets such as small fast attack boats.

If I remember correctly, those projectiles is only 3.3mm by 6.3mm cylindrical.

The weapon is designed to be controlled by an external fire-control system using either radar or electro-optical trackers. It is fitted with an optional onboard observation TV camera which relays imagery to an operator console from which it can also be aimed and fired in an emergency mode. The computer system uses an open architecture and is claimed to be compatible with many existing fire control systems.

Rate of fire

-Single shot
-Rapid Single Shot: 200 rounds per minute
-Burst (automatic fire): 1000 rounds per minute

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 27-2-2015 by IndependentOpinion because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-2-2015 by IndependentOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   
That SOUNDS as bad ass as it performs!

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: IndependentOpinion

Don't care what hoops I have to jump through to own that, I want one.

My wife is gonna be pissed at you for bringing this to my attention.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Could use one of these for varmint control...

Yep..That's it.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I wonder how long before a smaller, truck mount version comes out....that would be a serious turret gun on a land vehicle.....I NEED!

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Reminds me of a Vulcan, but with a longer barrel.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Can you imagine how badass a twinlinked version of this, mounted to an M1 Abrams would be? Sicker than a drunk on a boat in a force nine gale is roughly what I was thinking.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
A modern day, rapid firing example of an canon firing canister-shot, is a good example of what this is.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 07:19 AM
link   
pretty neat

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Here is SA we do also have the Oerlikon 35mm Surface to Air Twin-Gun. Its mounted on a wheel system, and gets draged by a vehicle.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
The compact size and ability to program the rounds detonation are what makes this unique. I still belive that the Phalanx's specs are a bit more impressive... though it is 3x the size. Regardless, the fragmenting rounds on this thing are amazing.
edit on 3/1/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Fffft. That's nothing.

NCIS did an episode about a weapon called "The Vaporizer" that could fire 100,000 rounds all at the same time.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Junkheap

Really? You're comparing a prototype weapon, that fires maybe .24 or .30 ammo, 36 barrels and range of a handgun with a Single barrel cannon, which fires 35mm shells, going on 15 years, and has the range of 3500m?

Note:

all at the same time

If that was true, there would have been 100 000 barrels
edit on 1-3-2015 by IndependentOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: IndependentOpinion

all at the same time

If that was true, there would have been 100 000 barrels

It did have a lot of barrels.
It was basically a wall of guns all connected to one trigger. The ammo was small metal rods kind of like a needle.
edit on 1-3-2015 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Jesus that thing must be loud as hell. I remember standing next to the Bradley when they shoot 25mm. But this is just one successive chest punch. Pretty awesome!

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Junkheap

In that case, your Vaporizer is still on the bottom of the list.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 01:18 AM
link   
a reply to: IndependentOpinion

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 02:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: IndependentOpinion
This is, in my mind, the most amazing piece of weaponry I have ever seen! SA signed a contract and ordered some just last year!!

The Oerlikon Millennium 35mm Naval Gun System is a Close-in weapon system designed by Oerlikon (a Rheinmetall subsidiary) for mounting on ships. It is based on the new Oerlikon 35 mm revolver cannon land based Air defense system, and uses AHEAD ammunition. A device at the muzzle end of the barrel measures the exact speed of each round as it is fired, and automatically sets the fuse to detonate the round as it approaches a pre-set distance from the target. Each round disperses 152 small projectiles to strike the incoming target. Whilst these are too small to do major damage in themselves, the accumulation of damage from multiple strikes is expected to destroy wings and control surfaces, sensors and aerodynamics, causing the target to crash. Other firing modes are designed to be effective against surface targets such as small fast attack boats.

If I remember correctly, those projectiles is only 3.3mm by 6.3mm cylindrical.

The weapon is designed to be controlled by an external fire-control system using either radar or electro-optical trackers. It is fitted with an optional onboard observation TV camera which relays imagery to an operator console from which it can also be aimed and fired in an emergency mode. The computer system uses an open architecture and is claimed to be compatible with many existing fire control systems.

Rate of fire

-Single shot
-Rapid Single Shot: 200 rounds per minute
-Burst (automatic fire): 1000 rounds per minute

en.wikipedia.org...

Are you kidding me? Why i haven't heard of this before...This weapon is BAD ASS.
It sounds unreal. As it is explained in your post, you don't need bigass bullets to shoot plane or any other aircraft down.
For sure that i feel bad for guys who will get targeted by that weapon

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Pretty nice weapons system here.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I'll take four.

For uh... Hunting. Yeah.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join