It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Idea for handling terrorists on Social Media (Twitter, etc.)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I thought of a somewhat unconventional way to handle social media accounts associated with ISIS/ISIL/Da‘ish, and/or other terrorist organizations.

I recall seeing that anonymous was attacking, taking control over various accounts - effectively negating them.
There has also been discussion about requiring various service providers (Twitter, etc) shut-down such accounts (assuming they could somehow identify them reliably).

I think another (perhaps better approach) is for search providers to subvert the recruiting for such organizations, not be blocking those accounts, or preventing the their posts from being indexed - but instead by altering the results of searches for common tags associated with such organizations with something that works against their efforts or is offensive to such organizations.

For example, people searching on Twitter for #ISIS would be instead be shown results for something such as #ISISLovesSexWithGoats (or some similarly inappropriate result). Of course, besides the search results on the social media providers themselves, major search engines (Google, Yahoo, etc.) would have to participate - though not necessarily all returning the same results.

Anyway, that's my idea. Thought I would drop it out there.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
They don't need to recruit. It is done for them with all the innocents killed.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Looks like the State Department is waging a Twitter War against ISIS's 90000 tweets per day.

They say its propaganda and they will fight fire with fire to the death !!

If this doesn't start WW3, I don't know what will.

U.S. State Department Is Going to Tweet ISIS to Death

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure they're already being reported and shut down.

And probably rerouted to goofy stuff like you suggest...or at least impersonated by goofy stuff.

Not sure if you saw this thread or not. Funny stuff. Which, of course, offended some people.

ISIS vow to throw homosexuals off of leaning tower of PIZZA

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Looks like the State Department is waging a Twitter War against ISIS's 90000 tweets per day.

They say its propaganda and they will fight fire with fire to the death !!

If this doesn't start WW3, I don't know what will.

U.S. State Department Is Going to Tweet ISIS to Death

That's a whole lot of hate. Who has time for all that hate?!

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I don't tweet, Facebook, MySpace (does that still exist?), etc... I haven't the desire to share every minute activity with those who really could give a care.

I am ok with validation here at ATS.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
When Ben Ghazi occurred they blamed this movie remember? But banned it from Afghanistan for fear of reprisals against the US military. So whats this about some US State Department "tweet battle" with some Imaginary State?

Now tell me ISIS rules the internet, too.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   
You really want to provoke these evil lunatics like that?

Go for it.

If they are using social media, leave them be. It's the best source of Intel on recruiting the agencies have now.

People seeking these social media pages linked to ISIS are begging for attention from government agencies.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Bad idea...

Hashtags should not be re-routed...

The day it happens to #ISIS, it can happen to #LGBT, or #FreePalestine, or any number of good causes...

Best thing to do is what I do on Twitter (not on there often)...
Just use #ISIS & expose them or demean them...

Besides which...
It's pretty damn difficult to find pro-ISIS accounts on Twitter.

They're making a much bigger deal out of the perceived presence & influence of ISIS via Twitter than they should be....

By the time any pro-ISIS accounts/tweets do the rounds through retweets and exposure, they're accounts are usually already deleted.

& most ISIS accounts are a pisstake/parody anyways...

And my personal favourite...

edit on 25-2-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Parody ISIS Recruiting Flag?

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: EnhancedInterrogator
A better one:

new topics

top topics

join