It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if this life is all.. Just our imagination?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Waking Life is a masterpiece.

Renee' Descartes pretty much explored this out... there is no real way to distinguish a primary reality.. .we rely on senses and are already once removed from any primary reality, so we may be a few steps away... infinite regression as mentioned by Les.

So row, row, row your boat...

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I've thought about this sometimes as well but what always made me think otherwise was the fact that there's a sort of "consensus" reality that we come back to after every night of sleep. Kitchen is there, house is there, earth is there. Its the same place I was in before I went to bed.The difference between this static reality and a dream reality is that there is no "consensus" dream reality where I go to every night. Dreams have varying background experiences that are far removed from what I would call my "everyday" world.

I guess I would say it's not so much that I'm imagining what's outside as I'm receiving actual information from a real external source and interpreting that information. Imagining would be completely making up that information.

This still tells us nothing about what this reality we wake into actually is though.

Being is an experience. To be or not to be.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I really wish this was all a dream instead of being real. It would be nice to know there could be a reality out there that is a little better than this one. It could also be a worse reality I suppose, that would be my luck.

Even if it was a worse reality, I'd rather live in the truth than in some fantasy. The thought that I'm in some buble living within a (for lack of better words) matrix makes me sick to my stumach.

Though to have lived the last 30 years and think that my family, relationships, etc aren't real, is sickening too. It's a catch-22.

Reality or substituted reality?
edit on 2/19/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: LongishLongo

It's also quite disconcerting to think that if everything you're living is a dream, than I am also a part of your dream. And should you die, or wake up, I and everything and anyone I know will no longer exist outside of your memory of that dream...

edit on 2/19/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

It is even possible that we do not really exist. We may be a part of a very sophisticated computer program designed by some beings that are so advanced they can create things like this. So existence within this program is existence anyway, it is better than not existing at all.

If this is the case, we only have free will within boundaries which we cannot cross.

But, this is just one of many hypothesis I have developed with the input of others. It could also be a dream or many other scenarios. The biggest chance of truth is that this is real and corruption is rampant in the world.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

If we are a computer construct, that doesn't say much for the creators of such a construct. It's akin to a sadistic social experiment.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
sounds interesting, thanks a lot. ill check it out soon as i get the chance

a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
At least a portion of how we perceive the world is subjective and imaginary, based on filters of religion, politics, relationships, etc. making everything we see relative to our own ideas regarding the self that sees it. In one of his books, the British author China Mieville presents a very interesting example of how an imaginary location can influence the perception of a physical one. To quote from the book's Wikipedia page:

Link

The City & the City takes place in the cities of Beszel and Ul Qoma. These two cities actually occupy much of the same geographical space, but via the volition of their citizens (and the threat of the secret power known as Breach), they are perceived as two different cities. A denizen of one city must dutifully 'unsee' (that is, consciously erase from their mind or fade into the background) the denizens, buildings, and events taking place in the other city – even if they are an inch away. This separation is emphasised by the style of clothing, architecture, gait, and the way denizens of each city generally carry themselves. Residents of the cities are taught from childhood to recognise things belonging to the other city without actually seeing them. Ignoring the separation, even by accident, is called "breaching" – a terrible crime by the citizens of the two cities, even worse than murder.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Elementalist

Keyboard ruined, so this must short, but that was an exceptional post.

I don't believe they have any ability to entrap us though they may think this being so much in lower mind that they have forgotten what love is. We're not lone wolves trying to grow back home. We have a wonderful Family and Team pulling us forward. Everything is learning mode/gift (not excusing the horrific things here, this is a generalization), with different levels of falling short and consequences, but in Higher Mind, we see beyond consequence and karma and see more and more conditions here to be acting as yeast and catalysts so that in the end forgiveness and understanding to even the "elites" is possible.

In the end its an honor to be here. Everything allows us to grow, big and small and fine tune flaws within or deal with larger flaws. Now this isn't making light of some of the really bad things, or saying abuse of power is OK, harming others is deep shame and can be set backs, it can be like a two lane highway with many U Turns on the way, but what I don't ever want to do again is put myself in a box that believes it has to have harsh consequence.

Not succeeding in the task of overcoming the flaw and instead developing less consciousness and more illusionary matter beast impulses are in themselves, IMO punishment enough. Taking longer is punishment enough, since its really unpleasant to be in lower realms. If everyone was just dusted off, cleaned up, and added their understanding, what it takes to be a hero, what it takes to overcome low self esteem, what it takes to speak up, what it takes to be brave, what it takes to become a psychopath even, to the huge file and everyone, all downloaded it and grew bigger, I think that would be the most loving and merciful ending to this play.

Most important for me is to know, Love is watching over. Our own Soul is Love within and watching over. And not go in any boxes, I don't want to create something like that with others.

The seed or acorn may need to grow up and grow to higher levels. If it is that way, rather than simply being cleaned up, and waking up to who you are, and stepping into more growth and more sensing, tasks, abilities and levels, then still know We Have A Team that Loves us so much and will never let us down.

Let Go and Let Love.

What you wrote was really inspiring. We're more than this body, universe. But its not to me, a collective journey, oddly enough. Think its one by one. And I truly believe that one consciousness growing up makes it impossible to lower the frequency of this world enough to allow lower mind beings to achieve their goals fully. But it isn't one, its many. In infinity there is always levels like this, in frequency, so how could this level disappear? Wouldn't it just remain for those who need to grow past it?
edit on 21-2-2015 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Here's the thing, if my dream capabilities match what I can imagine in real life, then I can certainly attribute that to our subconscious playing a certain scenario out as we sleep. What I mean is that if I'm able to fly, smash thick walls with just one punch, date the most beautiful supermodel, be able to switch bodies at whim, etc. in my dreams, I'm also able to wake up realizing I can achieve the same things with my own imagination when I daydream. However, what differentiates some of my dreams from reality (or even imagination) is that in some instances I'm actually able recite a piece of poetry that I came up with during a dream, or sing a song with verses I've never heard in any song I've listened to before in my real life. For instance, no matter how hard I try to imagine myself writing a couple of sentences of poetry that rhyme, I hit a brick wall. On the other hand, I've been amazed that during a couple of lucid dreams I'm actually standing there reciting poetry with words that I actually came up with that rhyme. Don't get me wrong, the poems weren't exactly Edgar Allen Poe masterpieces, but how was I able to do this if I don't possess that gift even in my wildest imagination?!

The other odd thing is that I sometimes have Deja Vu while I'm dreaming (even if I'm aware that I'm still in a dream state). I know for certainty that I've been to a certain place before or even dreamt that exact same scenario multiple times in the past. However, when I wake up it feels like this was the first time I've ever had this particular dream (unlike other recurring dreams where I'm fully aware that I've had them multiple times).
edit on 30-3-2015 by Milwaukee50 because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-3-2015 by Milwaukee50 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join