It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

13 year old may be The First Human to land on Mars

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 01:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
She's been working with NASA for 9 years, so I think she is owed this trip.

Brave? Yes. A pioneer in the making? Without a doubt. Had a childhood? Extremely doubtful.

She has had her childhood stolen, so she is due a payback. Fair play to her, I say.

What's with the childhood story that people think is so important?

I had a supposedly good childhood. Other than having a raging dad I had many friends, played football outside all day, went to night clubs ever since I was 14. I had such a "good" childhood that I didn't cared about studies, friends were the important things in life.

Now where are they now? lol, after almost two decades, childhood is long gone, and what's left is the same haunted dreams from childhood. Doing something meaningful. Innovative. Extraordinary.

She's experiencing real life since a very young age, I believe it's better than the mediocre illusion we were having as kids of wasting our minds with pointless games and activities. Life should be fun, but nobody got enlightened by playing catch or throwing a ball so many times.

Sorry for the harsh words, I wish I was a 13 years old Astronaut.

edit on 16-2-2015 by Shuye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 02:38 AM
link   
I bet she hits her stride in puberty and forgets being a astronaut in favor of boys. ALmost bet she gets pregnant and her future goes down teh toilet before 25

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Doubtful she'd be the first, there are many others interested, as well as growing up changes things. Plus their could even be a change in requirements by then, needing younger people, as she'll be near 30 then. Best of luck however.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: MojaveBurning

As for Your last statement, as long as She doesn't read this Thread, She will be fine!
LOL!! Ok, most of the posts are on Her side and congratulatory,

but a few would not be cool for Her to See! LOL!!!

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: SyxPak

Thats because the majority of ATS are downers and VERY negative in my opinion....

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
...Plus their could even be a change in requirements by then, needing younger people, as she'll be near 30 then. Best of luck however.

I would think older would be better. People going to Mars (and astronauts in general) would need a certain maturity level that is usually gained through life experiences.

For example, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin were both 39 years old when they landed on the Moon. It's no coincidence that they both had these years of experience -- and not just technical experience, but life experience as well, which could lead to a calm demeanor under pressure. Granted, experience is not the only way to learn how to be calm under pressure, but being relatively older and experienced helps. An average 35 year old is more likely to have the calm demeanor than and average 25 year old.

There may be some younger people among the crew (30 to 35 years old), but I bet the mission commanders will be 40+.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: HomerinNC

I hear Ya Homer! There are an awful lot of negatives here at ATS. Sorry and would have replied sooner had I received a message in My U2U's! Nothing arrived. I was closing tabs and noticed You had replied!
Later Bud, Syx.
edit on 16-2-2015 by SyxPak because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

I'd say You are most likely right in Your last statement's assumption!! ("There may be some younger people among the crew (30 to 35 years old), but I bet the mission commanders will be 40+.")

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: HomerinNC
a reply to: SyxPak

Thats because the majority of ATS are downers and VERY negative in my opinion....

Ignorance is bliss, enlightenments a bitch, & reality really blows.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Eunuchorn

Ummm, I'm not sure how to take this. Did ya just rag on Us, or are You agreeing with Us, or, ??????
If It's just a general statement, that's cool and I get it. But if Ya called Us Ignorant, that sucks! LOL!!

ETA:
Nevermind. I remember seeing some of your posts and they were in positive fashion...

My Bad for askin for explanation! LOL!!!

edit on 16-2-2015 by SyxPak because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
double post
edit on 16-2-2015 by boohoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: HyphenSt1
a 13 year old takes an early interest in Mars and suddenly she's the FIRST person to attend all THREE space camps? THE FIRST to do so?? How is that the case?? Not one other person has had the time (or money?) to attend three 5-day camps??? I know I would have done that in a second, were I given the chance.

my point: just because she is young and has had a good education (I do wish I had parents that exposed me to multiple languages early-on), in what way is this person suddenly supposed to be a possibility for the FIRST PERSON ON MARS..??

I'm sure there's only a billion (or so) other people upon the planet which are just as (if not moreso) qualified.
sorry to be a downer haha

What a nice daddy, with deep enough pockets, to send her to the program.

Also I'm not sure why the are saying "first", with this particular girl. Someone already beat her to it, attending space camp in 1990 and is the ONLY person, EVER, to attend Space Camp, going on to become a real astronaut.

Dottie Metcalf-Lindenburger

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Sometimes I wonder why I come here. I suppose it's for the few decent threads that are not littered with anger, angst, hate, disbelief, jealousy, etc.

This is not one of those threads.

Great story, and already picked apart for umpteen reasons. My strong advice to the parents.. do NOT let your clever, smart, wonderful child come to ATS.. ever.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I don't see anything from NASA that confirms she will be the first person on Mars. It's all made up!

So what, she went to NASA camps, anyone can do that.

The way current generations are, I wouldn't doubt she accidentally becomes a single mother before the year 2030, and can't go. Sad right.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAre0ne
I don't see anything from NASA that confirms she will be the first person on Mars. It's all made up!

So what, she went to NASA camps, anyone can do that.

There was an article a few years ago talking about how Dottie Metcalf-Lindenburger is likely the ONLY Space Camp attendee whom will ever become an astronaut. NASA ran the numbers and realized that the program wasn't worth supporting, like they did in the 1980's, because the odds of making the transition were slim to impossible (specifically the Camp Kennedy Space Center program). I don't know what NASA's currently involvement is with this iteration of Space Camp, but there was a time when they turned the whole thing over to the private sector and let them slap the "NASA name" all over everything, despite having no real involvement in the camp (in 2002 Space Camp Florida could only fill 14 of 276 spots and closed shortly after).

Former Space Camp Florida dorm demolition

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Little spoiled bratty rich kid trying to get famous..

/puke

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I'd say the dad is a little bit overbearing if I was to hazard a guess. Anyway cute kid, but id never encourage my kid to do a suicide mission.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Why is it a suicide mission?

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus hazard a guess....

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

No clue. I think by 2030 we will have safely determined a way to travel to mars, land and return safely.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join