It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 New Particles Discovered in Large Hadron Collider

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Sorry but that still does not explain what space the electron is in between orbits.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dabrazzo
Sorry but that still does not explain what space the electron is in between orbits.

Like any other particles, the electron has a wave property.

When it jumps between orbits, it becomes a wave spread across the space between the two orbits.

When it is done jumping, it settles as a point-like particle on the new orbit.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Dabrazzo

You are probably wondering, "then if electrons don't dissapear, how come that guy on TV say they do? "

To which the answer is, it's TV. It's meant to entertain, not educate. Saying to the dumb masses that electrons are tiny Houdinis is a good way of attracting ratings.

Anyway, I gotta run. I hope my replies were helpful. I'll be back in a few.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped
a reply to: Qumulys

Sadly the person they're quoting is real who's fallen off so far into the deep end of woo it's saddening. He's a quack and people shouldn't take what he says at face value.

He may well be a real guy - but I was just pointing out that we should not be using that particular website that;

Waterford Whispers News uses invented names in all its stories, except in cases when public figures are being satirized. Any other use of real names is accidental and coincidental.

Those quotes may be complete satire, or taken out of context, or maybe even close to the guys senility? But it's surprising how many people get taken in by these websites. What's worse is people believe and perpetuate the bulltish as facts when ats prides itself on being against that stuff.

Kind of sad though about this Dr. Amit Goswami, but he kind of has a point that quantum physics is pretty out there. But that glosses over how much has been discovered and understood, even if they don't fully quite know the why or how the fact remains that some basic quantum computers have been built.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Could our manipulations with the Quantum at CERN and other place screw up reality? What I am asking is since we don't know exactly what might happen with all these tests could one of them trigger an event in the quantum that might destabilize current physical realities? For instance what if something we did made gravity in the entire universe BURP for a moment. Planets would fly off their paths if not fall apart for a moment. All matter might become unglued for a moment.

Even worse what if it cause some sort of chain reaction in the quantum similar to a nuclear reaction. They admit spooky action at a distance so something we do locally could have ramifications through the entire universe could it not?

When I drop poison in a pond, the fish die. The first person who dropped poison in a pond did not know it was poison but the fish did die.

I think we should be much more careful.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
But if what you say is true then Neil Degrasse Tyson is a godamn liar and a fraudster of the highest order. Surely it would have been no trouble to credit Bohr and explain an electron can act both as a particle and a wave, unless that is contested?

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Its pretty much a standard human reaction to fear the unknown but without a working understanding of how our universe functions whats the point of our science and technology? Machines such as the LHC are an obvious requirement to further our understanding of particle physics.

Possible generation of Strangelets and mini/micro black holes aside humanity will always feel the need to further our knowledge regarding our reality. If "They" were not actively pursuing this type of technology openly at CERN it would simply be done in some-other black budget facility most lightly with less or even no regard for the safety concerns that go hand in hand with the operation of such a machine.
edit on 14-2-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xeven
Could our manipulations with the Quantum at CERN and other place screw up reality? What I am asking is since we don't know exactly what might happen with all these tests could one of them trigger an event in the quantum that might destabilize current physical realities? For instance what if something we did made gravity in the entire universe BURP for a moment. Planets would fly off their paths if not fall apart for a moment. All matter might become unglued for a moment.

Even worse what if it cause some sort of chain reaction in the quantum similar to a nuclear reaction. They admit spooky action at a distance so something we do locally could have ramifications through the entire universe could it not?

When I drop poison in a pond, the fish die. The first person who dropped poison in a pond did not know it was poison but the fish did die.

I think we should be much more careful.
Good ques, but imo reality does get messed up only if you play with time itself and at cern, they are not altering time in any way, so at least cern is safe as far as our reality is concerned.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dabrazzo
But if what you say is true then Neil Degrasse Tyson is a godamn liar and a fraudster of the highest order. Surely it would have been no trouble to credit Bohr and explain an electron can act both as a particle and a wave, unless that is contested?

(*shrugs*).

Maybe there's a simpler explanation. There are plenty of reasons which could explain why Neil omitted the info. Maybe the show producer told Neil to stay concise, and omit the gradient wave functions part. Maybe someone wrote the script for Neil, employing Neil as nothing but a high-profile actor. Maybe Neil himself was not aware of this particuliar atomic electron transition information - even physicists can forget things.

In any cases, it hardly matters - scientific models are there for a reason, one need only to check them out for oneself.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Xeven

Particles with much higher speed collide with our atmosphere with much higher force on a regular basis. The universe hasn't unraveled yet.

That's something most people don't get about the LHC. It isn't doing anything novel. It's simply recreating processes that already occur in a laboratory setting.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

"2 New Particles Discovered in Large Hadron Collider"

well, surely not discovered ! ...invented to fit into the model

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: Xeven

Particles with much higher speed collide with our atmosphere with much higher force on a regular basis. The universe hasn't unraveled yet.

That's something most people don't get about the LHC. It isn't doing anything novel. It's simply recreating processes that already occur in a laboratory setting.

Absolutely, 1 TeV protons hit our upper atmosphere all the time, at a reasonably high rate also, but the energy spectrum spreads right out to 10^20 eV (1TeV is 10^12) which is why all this stuff regarding blackholes and the universe unravelling is just so so so wrong. It is like we have proved just through observation of nature that nothing bad is happening at those energies, yet no one cares to see that.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I look forward for this... create a black hole...end in a bad bad way....

Link

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join