It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British troops sent in to help Jordan fight Islamic State

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   

An initial batch of around 60 military planners will join a new coalition headquarters that will co-ordinate support for Iraqi and Kurdish troops.

The increase in British involvement follows Jordan’s decision to extend air strikes from Syria to Iraq.

Royal Artillery drones and electronic jammers from the Royal Signals are among units that will be in place by April.

The RAF Sentinel R1 spy-plane will be deployed to hunt down Islamic State commanders.

We will shortly be in a position to deploy as many as 2,000 troops mainly in a training capacity
Senior military source

British troops sent in to help Jordan fight Islamic State

Mission creep anyone? Doesn't sound like a lot just now but 2000 men as quoted is a couple of battalions worth about half a brigade.

While it states they are in a training role it touches on force protection. Which can be taken in its literal meaning or it can be mean 'ground troops that we won't admit to'

Time will tell.

(Before I'm accused I'm not trying to sensationalise the headline it's a copy and paste)

Also there is a link on that page regarding the falklands. Be a good time for Argentina to cause problems when the UK has her back turned. They've leased bombers from Russia which will have some eyebrows raised.
edit on 0641642 by sg1642 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1741642 by sg1642 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: sg1642

About time.
We need to wipe these bastards out.
WW2 To me was a just war..This is also.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   

I hate war.

Hated iraq 2, hated afghanistan, hated libya and opposed our goverments attempts to bomb assad.

But I think this needs to be done.

What pisses me off is the mission creep.

our mp's should not have promised no mission creep back when the air strikes begain.
They should have left options open.

But ISIS violence is starting to spill over to europe so these dogs need putting down.

Plus this is not about conquest or nation building. Its simply to kill isis and the ME countrys seem to want our help this time.

And isis is partly our mess from the iraq war. Usa needs to face up to that responsibility too.
edit on 8-2-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

About time.
We need to wipe these bastards out.
WW2 To me was a just war..This is also.

I'm not sure the knock on effect of an illegal invasion can be classed as a just war my friend but regardless of their origins ISIS do need dealt with in one way or another.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   
One thing the British Government are keen on (or have been in the past) is making ties under the nose of America to strengthen foreign opinion. It has led to trade deals and military contracts in the past (which rarely made the light of day). Could be a case of our government trying to make an impression from below the giant wing the UK can usually be found under.
edit on 1841642 by sg1642 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: sg1642
One thing the British Government are keen on (or have been in the past) is making ties under the nose of America to strengthen foreign opinion. It has led to trade deals and military contracts in the past (which rarely made the light of day). Could be a case of our government trying to make an impression from below the giant wing the UK can usually be found under.

Well uk and jordan have very close ties.

There king was educated in the UK and even served as a officer in our own army for a time.

So we are quite freindly allys.

Id rather to be honnest nurture our relastionship with jordan than saudi arabia as they are alot more progressive in nature, far from peferfect by any stretch but makeing progress in the right direction.
edit on 8-2-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   

America seems keen to not be seen as leading this. Jordan is a "safe" option for troops on the ground being the country is not under threat from an insurgency.

Also Prince Charles is over there so that's nice, perhaps we can make friends with an Arab country which seems slightly more progressive than Saudi.

So the US operate from Iraq and we support operations from Jordan. Plus, do you want to buy typhoons? Them F16 are looking a bit tired....

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Forensick

America seems keen to not be seen as leading this. Jordan is a "safe" option for troops on the ground being the country is not under threat from an insurgency.

Also Prince Charles is over there so that's nice, perhaps we can make friends with an Arab country which seems slightly more progressive than Saudi.

So the US operate from Iraq and we support operations from Jordan. Plus, do you want to buy typhoons? Them F16 are looking a bit tired....
that's exactly it. People aren't aware of the financial advantages the Iranian embassy brought for instance. Countries and heads of states were falling over themselves to get their own military and personal security trained by us. None of it was ever made public. We have form for making sly little jaunts in the Middle East and capitalising on any successes we had, especially in the 60s and 70s, and this could just be a double edged sword. 'Let's be seen to be doing as much as possible and perhaps gain something out of it while we are at it'. It's very British.

I wonder how long it would take ISIS to attempt a strike on a British contingent in Jordan if they were close enough to the border.
edit on 3851642 by sg1642 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: sg1642

Well uk and jordan have very close ties.

There king was educated in the UK and even served as a officer in our own army for a time.

So we are quite freindly allys.

Id rather to be honnest nurture our relastionship with jordan than saudi arabia as they are alot more progressive in nature, far from peferfect by any stretch but makeing progress in the right direction.
yeah I agree. It would also suit the white house. They can back Israel and we can back Jordan next door.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

One point. "Nation building" sucks. Yet, the failure to succeed at that very undesirable job left an opening for Isis.

Wiping out Isis is all well and good. Just leaving without a permanent occupying force, at the least, almost assures another version takes it's place...

Damned if you do and damned if you don't......

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Oh don't worry also about the Falklands.
Our destroyers can handle anything the Argies throws at them...plus the UN would back us up plus If needed the French are obliged to help us If one of our territory's is invaded.

www.gov.uk...

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   
This smacks of scheduled escalation.
The Brits after all taught the US how to do this dirty underhanded double speak diplomacy.....its where the CIA learned all its dirty tricks....
After all, they ran an empire for a century or so already......

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: stirling

Britain are the masters of divide and conquer...as said they have been at it longer than most nations....the US are still in kindergarten compared to the UK...so great...all the Zionist bastards are gathering for the push and well....the people are eating it up...hook...line...and Sinker.

Welcome as the totalitarian world becomes more and more a reality

When are the people going to wake up to this made up war on terror....oh right...they are not.....more innocent people to die....as we are push into complete slavery and we the people say......OHHH.....YESSS.
edit on 052828p://f51Sunday by plube because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   
The west should all unite in delivering jointly composed ultimatum to IS: Quit with the extreme extremism: the murders, tortures, executions, en-slavery of innocents, don't threaten/harm our civilians, etc, and let's talk on how the west can accept and recognise your status, like civil human beings. Give them a deadline to comply or the west will all jointly intervene with our combined fullest force to restore civilised treatment towards human beings.

It's disappointing that it has to come to this but we can't just stand by and do nothing whilst knowing thousands of innocent terrified civilians are being gruesomely tortured and executed, and the rest living in absolute terror including the west. It we don't do something, not just to help those people, how long will it be before it finds it's way to our shores.

We have an obligation to humanity to help each other and to protect all humans from wanton barbaric treatment and from being forced to live in utter terror. Tell IS they either sit and talk with the west about how they're going to practice their faith and culture and rule peacefully and humanely, or all Holy Hell will let loose. Promise. Guaranteed.

I don't like the idea of the west wading in with all guns blazing - but if we don't, we might live to regret it. Two evils. Choose one.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
they vote for us to go to war instantly, but none of their kids serve in the infantry

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: plube

What you don't understand is that one: the people in enough numbers will never wake up, and two, even if they did you still have to destroy Isil.

A monster is a monster however created

Learn to think on different levels not one dimensional then you'll get above the fray and truly understand whats happening.
edit on 8-2-2015 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   

“We will shortly be in a position to deploy as many as 2,000 troops mainly in a training capacity,” one said, “though a proportion will be ready for force protection purposes if that decision is taken.”

How does 2000 troops train anything

Isn't that too bulky?

I think "training" is a euphemism for a Praetorian Guard for King Abdullah

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 04:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
a reply to: plube

What you don't understand is that one: the people in enough numbers will never wake up, and two, even if they did you still have to destroy Isil.

A monster is a monster however created

Learn to think on different levels not one dimensional then you'll get above the fray and truly understand whats happening.
I agree with that. It's a situation you need to think about from all angles. It is possible that Isis have been helped along their way by the west, but that doesn't change the fact they are there. Going by the numbers of people mentioned and what their role is, it looks like the emphasis is on intelligence gathering and then breaking that information down so it can be put to good use. It wouldn't surprise me if a proportion of that force will be used to set up training programs for the likes of the peshmerga forces. Not sure if Jordan would allow that to happen on their soil but stranger things have happened so you never know.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Weren't British "Trainers" already out there, training the "Moderate Rebels" to fight the Syrian government forces? That was reported way back as they were stationed in Jordan, along with other trainers and planners from the US and Saudi Arabia.

Great plan though, train and arm the rebels who all then go back into Syria and join ISIS. Stellar Job, well done, Rule Britannia.....etc!

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 04:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Actually I understand what is happening very very well...Isis is a mossad/CIA/US/suadi created Arny to destabilise the ME then the SOR(state of Rothschild's)../Israel....so as for people rising up...as I see over and over here they are doing exactly that....rising up against Moslem's...and as I stated earlier...divide and conquer...Moslem against Moslem...Britain are experts in the game.....and by public response it is working a treat...so please in your infinite wisdom....tell me who needs to wake up......because I know I am awake....and I have been presenting the real perpetrators to this conflict from the the start....only the sheep actually believe ISIS is not a Zionist ploy to divide the ME and soften the actual expansion of the SOR so please again...think before you just say or assume someone does or does not have an idea of what is going on....your statement was great until it turns into assumption.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join