It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Your Eye is Sound

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   
'But the lamp of the body is the eye; therefore if your eye shall be sound, your whole body also will be illuminated.' Matthew 6:22

What is deepest in a creature is present in its eye. It seeks for food, shelter, warmth and the eye portrays it when it does and when its content. If it is secret it still shows. If its forgotten it remains. And if it is diseased, the creature walks in darkness, for within it is darkness.

We need not look into our eyes to examine them, for we already know what they say. It portrays who we are and our deepest intentions, although that is not to say that it cannot change

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: backcase
'But the lamp of the body is the eye; therefore if your eye shall be sound, your whole body also will be illuminated.' Matthew 6:22

What is deepest in a creature is present in its eye. It seeks for food, shelter, warmth and the eye portrays it when it does and when its content. If it is secret it still shows. If its forgotten it remains. And if it is diseased, the creature walks in darkness, for within it is darkness.

We need not look into our eyes to examine them, for we already know what they say. It portrays who we are and our deepest intentions, although that is not to say that it cannot change

I prefer the KJV.

The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light. 23But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: backcase

The word used for "sound" in Matthew 6:22 is "aplous" which means simple/single. The verse should read like this:

Matthew 6
22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

If your eye is single, your whole body will be full of light. The single eye or third eye is the image your two eyes create, which is full of light and illuminates everything. It is what you see right now, it is the "mind's eye" because the image is created within the mind. If your eye is single, your body will be full of light, the universe is our body, we came from it and we will return to it. The universe is full of light and our single eye is as well.

This is why Jesus is called the "image" of God, because he is the light of the world. Your image is the light of the world and you are created in it.
edit on 2/5/2015 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

you said it should be made 'simple'. Your explanation seems to me to be very complicated.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   
totally incorrect .
the passage means your eye doesn't belong to you . the passage means your eye is your ears . your face tells the story of who you are . eyes have nothing to say .

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   

How so? It's a very simple concept. The eye is the light of the body, our two eyes create one image which is the single eye Jesus speaks of, that image is full of light. "if your eye is single, your whole body will be full of light. The image reveals your body with light, hence your body being full of light.

If you can't understand that but claim to understand what the bible from OT to NT is about, in and out of every chapter and book, then I don't know what to tell you. Four sentences vs. thousands of pages in the bible, take your pick. Jesus' words are the best thing in the bible, they are simple and concise and ooze truth. Everything else? Not so much.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   

I understand what you are talking about, but I feel you missed the mark. It's okay, it's an idea that is talked about often, but seldom understood, and even more rarely explained properly.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   

How have I missed the mark? I think it's right on the mark, it's the simplest explanation. There's a reason the word used means simple as well as single, because the simplest answer is usually the truth.

What do you think it means?

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   

What I think it means is explained best by the scripture itself. That's why I didn't attempt to explain it in depth.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   

So basically don't draw any meaning out of the words and just read them without trying to understand them? Not a good way of doing it. The bible requires interpretation of some sort.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Much of what Jesus said was fully coherent and comprehensible, and he also mentions that it is given to the children to understand.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 11:25 PM
link   

So when someone asks you to explain something in a different way in order to understand it a little more clearly, you just repeat the same thing over to them?

Jesus was obviously conveying some sort of concept with his words. What is that concept? The image of light your two eyes create. Jesus doesn't make this apparent to those who don't understand, you have to have eyes to see.

Jesus said he spoke in parables, this is one of them.
edit on 2/5/2015 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   

'What is that concept? The image of light your two eyes create.'

Now this needs some explaining. You took the whole idea and made it something incomprehensible.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   

What is incomprehensible about it? Are there two images you see or just one? Your two eyes make a single "eye" or image that is full of light. Jesus is called the image and light of the world, he represents the image we see.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   

How do you think Jesus would have liked it if after everytime He said something an apostle came up on the side of Him and said 'what Jesus means is that...'?

Jesus is the Word of the Living God and is therefore the most suitable to speak about God.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 11:36 PM
link   

So why all the other books?

And I agree, Jesus is the most suitable, he speaks flawlessly.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   

St. John said that if everything were written the world would be filled with books, the others are few and are also His words.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Only a couple of days ago, some of us were looking in Proverbs and came across the expression " a bountiful eye". We decided it was thinking of the eye as an "outlook on life". The "generous eye" was to be contrasted with the eye that "hid itself" from the sight of the poor.

"Singleness" of eye can be contrasted with the "double-minded man" in James. It implies soundness, sincerity.
I have a commentary (R.T. France) which says the word is used in the Septuagint to translate the word for "complete" or "perfect", so "the single eye is primarily a metaphor for a life totally devoted to the service of God". But he thinks this should be combined with the "generous" meaning, which is also used in the New Testament.
So the idea combines undivided loyalty with detachment from material concerns.

edit on 6-2-2015 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Amen.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

would 'generous' need to be added to 'life totally devoted to the service of God'?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join