It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FCC Chairman Announces Strong Net Neutrality Rules

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Sourc e

Tom Wheeler, the chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, just announced new regulations that will provide strong protections for network neutrality .
The proposal makes use of a controversial legal maneuver called reclassification, which opens the door to regulating internet access as a public utility.

This could be the beginning of some very good news regarding Net Neutrality. Wheeler would need two more votes (of the 5 commission members) to make reclassification a reality. But don't get too excited...

At the same time, the FCC will probably face opposition from the Republican Congress. They'll likely grill Wheeler on his new proposal, and they may also try to pass legislation rejecting the new rules. However, it can be expected that such legislation would be vetoed by President Obama.

Finally, everything could change again if a Republican captures the White House in 2016. The new president will appoint a more conservative FCC chairman who could set to work reversing Wheeler's decisions.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Who would have thunk?

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Good news, so far at least. So many things hang on the thread of new U.S. presidential elections, lots of change occurs when one party or the other takes office. Hopefully this policy can be cemented into place and not be tinkered with in the future.

Internet, that wonderful series of tubes, is too much of a "humanity" thing to become a political football.

edit on 4-2-2015 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   
This net thing is confusing.

So by opening the door to regulation, they can control content?
If so, isnt that what we dont want?

I want access to all the info out there, not just what they want us to see.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   

This could be the beginning of some very good news regarding Net Neutrality.

Don't bet on it.

Anything the feds touch. They destroy.

You can take that to any fiat currency bank.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: coop039

In reality, this FCC recommendation introduces no new regulations. They're using the same tried-and-true regulations that apple to phone lines, that ensures you can make a land-line call a Verizon customer in New York from your LA AT&T service with no issues or interruptions -- all content must be treated the same.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

You've been shown -- countless upon countless of times -- how your parroting of corporate/conservative misinformation regarding Net Neutrality is false, and dangerously so. Yet you continue to do it.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: coop039
This net thing is confusing.

If so, isnt that what we dont want?

I want access to all the info out there, not just what they want us to see.

Nothing to be confused about:

"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Reagan quotes

You understand quite well.

That is exactly what we don't want.

The mere act of government control. Government regulation makes it net authoritarian.

Net neutrality as it is suppose to mean is government keeping it's grubby fingers off.

That reclassification opens it up to regulation,taxation, and subisidation.

Just like public utilities.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord
a reply to: neo96

You've been shown -- countless upon countless of times -- how your parroting of corporate/conservative misinformation regarding Net Neutrality is false, and dangerously so. Yet you continue to do it.

The proposal makes use of a controversial legal maneuver called reclassification, which opens the door to regulating internet access as a public utility.

Because we both know how government really works.

There is nothing false about what I have said, and continue to say on 'net neutrality'.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I agree that this net neutrality clause is a good thing. It will be good not only for businesses that depend on the internet it will also be good for the general public who, in this age of interconnectedness and wireless social networking, could use the break on the stinkers that want to spread their destructive influence over the airwaves. In my personal experience I welcome net neutrality as it will rid the chance of that hassle in a more direct manner.

Also on my list regarding the internet is the new encryption coding that many programmers are developing to help shake off the spies and eaves-droppers. Knowing that essentially all governments will do their best to prevent large scale text and email encryption I think that truly the people are going to win out on this one. Nobody likes their privacy violated. In fact, ask any psychologist and they'll tell you that privacy is required to remain mentally fit.

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
Sourc e

Tom Wheeler, the chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, just announced new regulations that will provide strong protections for network neutrality .

This could be the beginning of some very good news regarding Net Neutrality. Wheeler would need two more votes (of the 5 commission members) to make reclassification a reality. But don't get too excited...

At the same time, the FCC will probably face opposition from the Republican Congress. They'll likely grill Wheeler on his new proposal, and they may also try to pass legislation rejecting the new rules. However, it can be expected that such legislation would be vetoed by President Obama.

Finally, everything could change again if a Republican captures the White House in 2016. The new president will appoint a more conservative FCC chairman who could set to work reversing Wheeler's decisions.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Very surprising turnaround. I really hope this goes through. I think this might the 1st time a former corporate big wig turned their backs on their former industry's demands.
edit on 2/4/2015 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Again, you're parroting the dishonesty of the opposition.

As I've laid out to you before, which you consistently choose to ignore, is that reclassification is the lease regulatory option for the necessary intervention by government.

Verizon has brought suit against the government, essentially demanding exponentially more regulation that reclassification.

Comcast and Time Warner have been lobbying hard and fast for exponentially more government regulation and intervention than reclassification.

The conservative and liberal lawmakers receiving money from the corporate interests, as well as the astro-turfing efforts of the corporate interests, have created the lie that reclassification is more legislation that could lead to fees and taxes.

It's a lie. You're parroting it.

I've told you before that the only "utility fees" involved with common carrier reclassification are to maintain the national network of copper land lines. You've ignored that. I've told you before that Verizon FIOS is nearly all governed by common carrier since Verizon enjoyed the rights-of-way to install the fiber lines -- and that Verizon FIOS customers pay no utility fees/taxes even though it's a common carrier service, but you've ignored that also.

And now it's out that typical broadband service in the US runs at a 97% Profit Margin, calculated by doing some simple math from corporate quarterly reports.

The lies of the "side" you've been parroting are dangerous.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Again, you're parroting the dishonesty of the opposition.

Where is the dishonesty ?

Which opens the door to regulating the internet.

Hell listen to what NPR said.

Today is the day net neutrality watchers had been waiting for, according to numerous reports. After months of debate, discussion and the culling of nearly 4 million public comments on the matter, the Federal Communications Commission appears poised to decide how it will regulate the Internet.

www.npr.org...

Of course this was already shot down for good reason.

"Given that the Commission has chosen to classify broadband providers in a manner that exempts them from treatment as common carriers, the Communications Act expressly prohibits the Commission from nonetheless regulating them as such. Because the Commission has failed to establish that the anti-discrimination and anti-blocking rules do not impose per se common carrier obligations, we vacate those portions of the Open Internet Order."

www.npr.org...

So the FCC does an end run around the law with that so called reclassification.

This net neutrality crap is not what it is being sold as.

Nothing the government sells is. Especially when it comes to their agencies.

edit on 4-2-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   
my only real concern: with reclassification, will the FCC now try to regulate content? will this regulation require a loss of anonymity on the web?

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord
all content must be treated the same.

Not only is this not how networks operate, the intended goal of this proclamation is actually impossible.

More importantly, by biting at this hook you are accepting a plethora of bald faced lies that are being propagated as the underlying motivation. The only viable complaint that I have heard seems to have to do with some crony capitalist swig horn maneuver to establish or extend an already low competition market.

If that is the fear then remove restrictions which are preventing new companies from competing. The damage has been done by legislation which produced a small number of bloated state sponsored near-monopolies, the relief will come from the removal of legislation not by creating new legislation.

The Communicators with Ajit Pai
edit on 4-2-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Just like public utilities

You mean public utilities that are reliable, well run, and affordable? The government is why they are, but you can keep trying to mislead everyone with your bogus right-wing propaganda.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

Just like public utilities

You mean public utilities that are reliable, well run, and affordable? The government is why they are, but you can keep trying to mislead everyone with your bogus right-wing propaganda.

Huh ?

Just pay no attention to the billions in subsidies.

The endless power grid blackouts.

Well run now that was funny.

You do know that REGULATION is RIGHT WING ?

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Im actually surprised how many members here are ok with a gov regulated internet.
ATS seems like the perfect sight for the gov to regulate. So many members here worry about gov shills posting and the gov lying to us, and not telling us everything, I would think the last thing we want is the gov to be involved with the internet.

Ignorance is bliss. I guess we will all just be blissful if this happens.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

You do know that REGULATION is RIGHT WING ?

This is the second time recently I have seen you confuse the VERTICAL of Authoritarianism VS. Libertarianism
..With
The Horizontal of Left vs. Right.

One can be either pro-regulation or anti-regulation on either the left or right.

Ralph Nader on the left...pro-regulation (Consumer Protections)
Ron Paul on the Right (Anti-Regulation)

See if this helps you sort out your understanding of the political spectrum
www.politicalcompass.org...

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Maybe a good step. At least (for now) it seems like they'll be clamping down on data throttling and random blocking by ISPs.

Net neutrality wins: the FCC will propose strong Title II regulation

The biggest revelation from the proposal is the decision to lump wireless networks in with wired broadband, something the FCC has avoided doing for years thanks to enormous pressure from Verizon and AT&T.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join