It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fraternities/Secret Societies

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by GLeamer

All agreed that the Skull and Bones did not exist on aprons and had no meaning to masons

Nope. In fact, the skull is an important symbol in Freemasonry. And we've already pointed out the fact that a skull and crossbones are on aprons of the French Rite. And, like, I said, there are no skull and crossbones on any apron in the Scottish Rite, S.J., USA. Whether the N.J. have skulls and crossbones on the aprons, I neither know nor care.

Manley Hall became a leading proponent for the Bruton Vault as being the location of this sacred repository. His quest to protect it from falling into the wrong hands cost him his life, because he was strangled to death by two members of the Skull and Bones Society - Morgan Brandt and Daniel Fritz.

Jesus H. Christ, son, what kind of fools do you take us for anyway?

Manley Hall was not "strangled"; he died at his home in Hollywood, California on August 29, 1990 from a stroke. He was 89 years old.

[edit on 7-1-2005 by Masonic Light]

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by 99CentsStore
I believe it is time ot ignore gleamer

99CentsStore,

How ironic. I was just about to post pretty much the same thing. His silly rantings are certainly not productive. I'm in!

Regards

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
how many diffrent rites are there in freemasonry?

[edit on 8-1-2005 by svcadet32]

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I know of
York
Scottish
freemasonry.bcy.ca...

In certain parts of the world...
Swedish - freemasonry.bcy.ca...

On a more historical note,
Memphis & Mizraim - users.erols.com...
which is NOT practiced by Regular Masonic lodges
There have been others but were either produced by charlatains pretending to be Masons, or Rites that were to convoluted and just ceased to be.

[edit on 1/8/2005 by cotwom]

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   
svcadet32...

Just look though this site for a while.
freemasonry.bcy.ca...
It's very informative There's enough info to choke a pig. It's an awesome site maintained by the Grand Lodge of British Columbia and the Yukon.

Even though I'm in Oregon, it's my fav site for Masonic info.

[edit on 1/8/2005 by cotwom]

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   
thanks for the good info

that is a really good site. most interesting to me was the section on lord baden-powell. i am a boy scout and he is one of my greatest heros.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I thought this was quote profound:

from dcsr.org...
To add to the symbolism, the two aprons are, in fact, the front and back of the same apron, and the jewels are the front and back of the same jewel so that one is easily transformed into the other. In both cases, the compasses carry their usual Masonic interpretation of spiritual awareness and self-control. The compasses are crowned to symbolize the fact that the Mason highest in rank or Degree is only the highest among his equals.

That is awesome. "... the Mason highest in rank or Degree is only highest among his equals." Brilliant. If you are equals, then no one is highest; so if you are "highest among your equals" then you are higher than no man. I love it.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
You've got to wonder about some of the older guys in the Craft though, haven't you?

Although a very clever man, couldn't he have put that in the simpler terms that you just did?

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Yeah but you have to admit that someone who wasn't very sharp probably wouldn't pick up on that, they would say "See, I told you there are "higher" and "lower" degrees! It says it right there!"

You and I get it, as would the majority of people here, but there are those... *ahem*

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Axeman
Yeah but you have to admit that someone who wasn't very sharp probably wouldn't pick up on that, they would say "See, I told you there are "higher" and "lower" degrees! It says it right there!"

That is without a doubt the most misconception among non-Masons. Even the friends of Masonry usually believe this.

The fact of the matter is that there is one initiation, which is divided into three stages ("degrees") for convenience. After one has completed his degrees and become a Master Mason, he can receive additional degrees in the Scottish and York Rites, which elaborate on the first three. There's absolutely nothing in the so-called "higher degrees" that the Mason can't find in the first three, if he looks hard enough. Even Pike conceded this, and he laced "Morals and Dogma" with many lines praising the superiority of the Scottish Rite. It may true that the Scottish Rite does a better job of interpreting symbols philosophically, but the informed Initiate can do this for himself in any Rite, in any degree.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I was looking through my universities' library and came upon some books on masons published. One in particular had a bit of the so called ritual in it. It said that the inductee has to get on his knees and open up his shirt and place his hand over his heart. After saying an oath,I presume, a badge which consists of the masonic symbol is pressed into his skin drawing blood reminding him to keep the masonic secrets. Is this in anyway true. You can u2u me if you want.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by klooney
I was looking through my universities' library and came upon some books on masons published. One in particular had a bit of the so called ritual in it. It said that the inductee has to get on his knees and open up his shirt and place his hand over his heart. After saying an oath,I presume, a badge which consists of the masonic symbol is pressed into his skin drawing blood reminding him to keep the masonic secrets. Is this in anyway true. You can u2u me if you want.

No this is not true. I have enough Masons in my family and enough Masons and anti-Masons talk about their [insert family member here] having been in Masonry and I think they would even agree there is no branding/pierceing involved.

Plus as I'm a Mason hand have a VERY LOW TOLERANCE OF PAIN, I would never agree to that.

[edit on 1/10/2005 by cotwom]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by klooney

Just to re-state the above, no, it's not true. Candidates for Masonry do take an obligation, but nothing is pressed into anyone's skin drawing blood.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   
just wondering guess the book was false thanks a lot for the clarification I appreciate it. I was kind of apprehensive considering all the lodges do here is drink and hang out.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I would presume it is the same book they used in part for research for the film "From Hell", the candidate is caused to bleed in the film, although from watching it you can see how this would be caused by accident, rather than as a part of the initiating requirement.

What was the title of the book, you will probably find that soemone on here has also read it and will be able to give a greater opinion on it's contents.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Here are the two books
Handbook of Secret Organizations by William J. Whalen. Published in 1966
and
The History of Freemasonry, with the history of its introduction and progress in the U.S, the history of the symbols of freemasonry, and the history of the A.A scotish rite. By William R. Singleton Published 1898

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I am trying to become a mason and I am already in fraternity, but you have to get someone to sponser you right...well how do you know who a mason is and isn't...anyone with any helpful ideas would be appreicated...

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by BoonePanic
I am trying to become a mason and I am already in fraternity, but you have to get someone to sponser you right...well how do you know who a mason is and isn't...anyone with any helpful ideas would be appreicated...

Lodge meetings are listed on the sign outside of the lodge. I'd guess, show up and intro yourself. I'm not a Mason though so if I'm wrong, someone point this fellow in the right direction.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by svcadet32
thanks for the good info

that is a really good site. most interesting to me was the section on lord baden-powell. i am a boy scout and he is one of my greatest heros.

Hey awesome a fellow scout! I made it to Eagle but i'm not in OA. Its good to see a another scout here on ATS!

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   
well I have looked into it and I know you have to have 3 masons vouch for you on the application...but I don't know any and its not like they have signs on their back...oh well...anyone wanna vouch...haha

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join