It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Netflix currently down in numerous countries....hackers?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   
So...I tried logging on to netflix to watch a couple shows and it is down. I tale to looking into it and it appears it is down in numerous countries. Wondering if this is an internal glitch or some type of attack. They have been down for about an hour now I believe. Their Twitter page shows the following:

Source

They are saying they are back up, but they are not.

Anyone else able to log on right now?

I am only wondering because Netflix would be an odd company to hack unless someone was trying to release something on a very wide public venue.

I just called them and spoke to customer service and, while the twitter says they are back up, customer service says they won't be for another 25-30 minutes.

Just find it odd.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Maybe they want them to add new shows

My guess would be hackers. I hope they don't completely damage the site, it's good for rewatching Star Trek

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Whats your experience with complex networks or really any network?
Things break, that's why people in the IS/IT world get paid well.
When a website, network, PBX, machine breaks it doesn't have to indicate something nefarious.
Without a single piece of info to indicate some attack I'll go with what Occam would say on this.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Servers go down and experience issues just like any computer. Temporary outages are not very uncommon and are rarely associated with "hackers".

I believe that a large number of normal outages due to technical issues are scooped up by supposed "hackers" who claim responsibility even though they had nothing to do with it.

It will be back soon and a week from now most will have forgotten about the temporary outage all together.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Why take down XBOX Live or PSN like they did in December? These hackers aren't so much hacking anything as they are obstructing and interfering with people's outlets for entertainment. It's almost like somebody knows the fastest way to get the people to demand sweeping regulations is found by negatively impacting their entertainment venues. Hmmmm....

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

Normally, I'd agree, but this isn't a normal network by any stretch of the imagination. The systems that have gone down recently have been networks with significant redundancies and alternate pathways, in theory assuring an uninterrupted stream from the source via a detour around whatever piece of hardware needs fixed or reset. Netflix isn't compartmentalized on a single server, nor are the various gaming platform networks.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   

probally just a outage when they add new shows,but they did add the interview a few weeks ago so i guess it could be disgruntled north Koreans its down for me right now i had been watching a show it ended so i went back to browse and cant log back in sure they will get it figured out in a bit though

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Exactly. Like how if they want legislation passed on other topics they create problems and introduce "solutions".

Order from chaos.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
Normally, I'd agree, but this isn't a normal network by any stretch of the imagination. The systems that have gone down recently have been networks with significant redundancies and alternate pathways, in theory assuring an uninterrupted stream from the source via a detour around whatever piece of hardware needs fixed or reset. Netflix isn't compartmentalized on a single server, nor are the various gaming platform networks.

Their isn't a network anywhere beyond home users that is compartmentalized on a single server in the past 15 years or longer. For example the network that I am one of the engineers on is geographically spread between two remote data centers. With multiple redundant links across different providers using different types of transports. I guarantee you that any corporate network worth it's weight is a similar setup.

Things break when humans are involved. Things break when humans aren't involved.
Someone didn't set up BGP right, networks can go down.
Someone didn't setup STP blocking correctly and a loop forms which breaks down a subnet.
A router dies , HSRP doesnt kick in an now a site is off line.

The point is networks, complex or other wise, break.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   

maybe they're getting de-throttled.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   
MIne was down for an hour tonight, but is now bck up and running.
I checked one of those 'is netflix down' sites that had a map with a large red patch over my area.
It was a bit of a relief when it came back up.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   
why not blame the latest boogy man taking over the world clearly this was done by the ever reaching arms of isis

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I'm watching Netflix right now!

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA
Whats your experience with complex networks or really any network?
Things break, that's why people in the IS/IT world get paid well.
When a website, network, PBX, machine breaks it doesn't have to indicate something nefarious.
Without a single piece of info to indicate some attack I'll go with what Occam would say on this.

Its back up.

And my experience with networks and technical architecture is far beyond most. I have been in the biz for a LONG time. Worked with secret clearances for government, on Google projects, Dell projects, Lockheed Martin projects, wrote white papers with IBM Top Guns, and I could go on and on. The last thing I am looking for is some network admin to ask what my experience is. My guess is more than most, and likely anyone on this site. But hey....just like you I happen to be on this site.

Netflix is not some fly by night network set up between a couple datacenters. The redundancy within their systems is well beyond what you have likely ever worked on or seen. They don't just go down in multiple countries for over an hour.

Netflix is on a 5-6 nine uptime, which means there had to have been multiple points of failure to cut it in multiple countries for that long. Thanks for your "lesson" though.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
And my experience with networks and technical architecture is far beyond most. I have been in the biz for a LONG time. Worked with secret

Their is actually no point in the response I had..if 25% of what your response was is true then you would know that their is no such thing as a 5 nines network when humans are involved.

As a side note since it is the last thing you want nothing to worry about as I am not a network admin..

edit on 3-2-2015 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 05:13 AM
link   
good netflix is nothing more than an attempt to make the internet PAY PER VIEW .
WHEN THE INTERNET STARTED THE FIRST PEOPLE HERE GAVE YOU FILE SHARING WAY BEFORE CORPORATIONS MOVED IN HERE ,IM TALKING PRE-GOOGLE.

we gave you the free world and minds and opinions ,in short a new world ,where we are one.
long live anonymous down with corporations .

peace and love xxxxxxxxxx the fight continues.....................
edit on 4-2-2015 by stuthealien because: for puntuation

edit on 4-2-2015 by stuthealien because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: stuthealien
good netflix is nothing more than an attempt to make the internet PAY PER VIEW .
WHEN THE INTERNET STARTED THE FIRST PEOPLE HERE GAVE YOU FILE SHARING WAY BEFORE CORPORATIONS MOVED IN HERE ,IM TALKING PRE-GOOGLE.

we gave you the free world and minds and opinions ,in short a new world ,where we are one.
long live anonymous down with corporations .

peace and love xxxxxxxxxx the fight continues.....................

What do you do for a living?

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Shakawkaw

Probably works at Wal-Mart.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Could have been something completely outside their control, like this Youtube outage

"Once a pretty big network gets an error like that, it propagates to most or all of the Internet very quickly," Underwood said. As he put it, Pakistan Telecom was impersonating YouTube to much of the world.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 04:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Shakawkaw

what i do for a living has no bearing on my thoughts,or on my ability to reason and process information,unless your suggesting it does and that would just call you out for personally attacking me ,as everybody lies has used the exact same tactic as you and gone for a guess as to my job i guess you are both suggesting you are somehow better .

top topics

<<   2 >>

join