It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians, are violent old testament verses relevant to your beliefs today?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Methinks the OP doesn't know much about the religion he is attacking.

First of all, he didn't get the idea that the OT was written by the Jews who lived then. My goodness, the Jews today aren't stuck in the ancient era.

But he didn't ask the Jews about their Torah, he asked the Christians about the Jewish Torah.

If the OP has read my pasts posts, he would know my views about God. I don't think God is ever fully nor can be fully known to man on this earth. I also believe that God has come to every nation and culture on the planet all throughout history. I also believe that some gods are not God, some are spiritual beings that have been deified.

And looking into ancient cultures, there is a reoccurring theme that is prevalent. For instance, from the ancient Tibetan monks to Ragnarok to the Book of Revelation, there is mention of a great cataclysmic war to end all. All of them say the say thing.

And I believe that Jesus has appeared throughout history to different peoples, because there are descriptions of Him that are too similar to be dismissed, it is just that not everyone called Him Jesus.

But we live in this time and space, so we can only know what to do to live in this time and space. Does this mean I agree that all religions are the same? No, they are not all the same, but at the same time, no one can dismiss the fact that all the ancients were talking about the same thing.

We are never, ever, ever, ever, ever going to know God really in this time and space, we can only have glimpses and that is what the Jews have said also, even though Moses saw God, Moses was given laws for that time and space for those people.

But I heard a rabbi talking about it and this is how he explained it, when God was going around to the ancients, He asked them if they would keep the mitzvahs, the Jews said yes. That's how they came by the mitzvahs of God. But not all people were expected to keep what they weren't offered.

While I do believe it is God in the OT, that same God has been present throughout all times, only that different people saw Him in different ways. The Jews saw Him in that way, the Christians see God in the way Jesus showed us.

But even the Rig Vedas talk about the ONE, the Supreme, and Hinduism was first founded on that. The ancient Chinese called Him Shang Di.

As we can never really know God as He is while we are here, then we should think that maybe perhaps there are more views about God than we have considered.

I will say that while I do know God, I certainly do not know ALL of God, I just accept that God IS.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: WarminIndy

First of all, he didn't get the idea that the OT was written by the Jews who lived then. My goodness, the Jews today aren't stuck in the ancient era.

But he didn't ask the Jews about their Torah, he asked the Christians about the Jewish Torah.

If the OP has read my pasts posts, he would know my views about God. I don't think God is ever fully nor can be fully known to man on this earth. I also believe that God has come to every nation and culture on the planet all throughout history. I also believe that some gods are not God, some are spiritual beings that have been deified.

And looking into ancient cultures, there is a reoccurring theme that is prevalent. For instance, from the ancient Tibetan monks to Ragnarok to the Book of Revelation, there is mention of a great cataclysmic war to end all. All of them say the say thing.

And I believe that Jesus has appeared throughout history to different peoples, because there are descriptions of Him that are too similar to be dismissed, it is just that not everyone called Him Jesus.

But we live in this time and space, so we can only know what to do to live in this time and space. Does this mean I agree that all religions are the same? No, they are not all the same, but at the same time, no one can dismiss the fact that all the ancients were talking about the same thing.

We are never, ever, ever, ever, ever going to know God really in this time and space, we can only have glimpses and that is what the Jews have said also, even though Moses saw God, Moses was given laws for that time and space for those people.

But I heard a rabbi talking about it and this is how he explained it, when God was going around to the ancients, He asked them if they would keep the mitzvahs, the Jews said yes. That's how they came by the mitzvahs of God. But not all people were expected to keep what they weren't offered.

While I do believe it is God in the OT, that same God has been present throughout all times, only that different people saw Him in different ways. The Jews saw Him in that way, the Christians see God in the way Jesus showed us.

But even the Rig Vedas talk about the ONE, the Supreme, and Hinduism was first founded on that. The ancient Chinese called Him Shang Di.

As we can never really know God as He is while we are here, then we should think that maybe perhaps there are more views about God than we have considered.

I will say that while I do know God, I certainly do not know ALL of God, I just accept that God IS.

sweet.

1. So now tell me, are violent old testament verses relevant to your belief as a Christian today?

2. if not, why haven't you purged your bible of the disgusting violent verses that have no place in the 21st century?

Thats all I want to know.

Thanks.

edit on 3-2-2015 by rokkuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick

originally posted by: rokkuman

Let me explain...

karma....the Law of Reciprocity, you reap what you sow. Universal law.

Karma is not "universal law".

Its a purely hindu concept.

Are you Christian or Hindu? because my question was aimed at Christians.

or have christians started adopting hindu concepts?

That is silly

It is like saying that air is a scientific concept.

Okay so then the hindus and christians are on the same page as far as the concept of karna is concerned?

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: rokkuman

Why haven't you purged school history books of disgusting violent war teaching?

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: WarminIndy
The old testament is needed as a tool for understanding the new, and vice versa. If one is going to be a biblical xtian, the two go hand in hand. As Paul said, "What was written before, was for our learning." Whether one likes the old testament barbarianism, or not, it's still integral to understanding the finer points of xtianity.

ETA: Oops. Sorry Indy. That wasn't supposed to be directed at you. I was reading your post, and clicked without thinking.
edit on 2/3/2015 by Klassified because: eta

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   

sweet.

So now tell me, are violent old testament verses relevant to your belief as a Christian today?

if not, why haven't you purged your bible of the disgusting violent verses that have no place in the 21st century?
Thats all I want to know.

Thanks.

Yes, they are relevant.

I would also not ask any other culture, like the Mayans in their Popol Vuh to expunge their violent verses, neither would I ask Hindus to expunge violence from the Rig Vedas the Mahabarahta or their other scriptures.

Neither would I ask the ancient people to expunge their rock art of violent images

All of it is a part of history that we must understand, because if you don't remember history, it has a way of coming back.

Relevance, because knowing history is relevant.

I'm sorry that you seem to have grown up in a world that has had little education regarding history, but perhaps we should also ban Tom Sawyer because of racial epithet?

But while we are at it, let's ban Batman because of violence also. Boom, pow, doink, thud.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Careful, OP probably has the PC version of Huckleberry Finn in a prominent place on his bookshelves.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
The old testament is needed as a tool for understanding the new, and vice versa. If one is going to be a biblical xtian, the two go hand in hand. As Paul said, "What was written before, was for our learning." Whether one likes the old testament barbarianism, or not, it's still integral to understanding the finer points of xtianity.

So have I ever said that it wasn't?
LEARNING, that's the key. And if you don't learn history, it will happen again. History has a funny way of repeating itself.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Go back and read the ETA. My mistake.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Careful, OP probably has the PC version of Huckleberry Finn in a prominent place on his bookshelves.

ROFL.

Too funny.

Yes, he probably does. And probably also A Clockwork Orange and Slaughterhouse Five

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Go back and read the ETA. My mistake.

No problem, just read it now.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   

ETA: Oops. Sorry Indy. That wasn't supposed to be directed at you. I was reading your post, and clicked without thinking.

I asked in the OP if Christians could at least admit that bible violence and genocide was a bad thing.
Instead I saw them justify the slaughter of babies and infants by comparing it to modern day abortion (check previous pages).

Have I stepped into a madhouse? Because even atheists know killing babies and children is absolute evil. What else can I feel for Christianity besides hatred?

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

So have you purged your history books of all the evil genocide and killing that humanity has done without the guidance of God?

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

www.learnthebible.org...

there are less violent passages in the bible than one would think... the above for instance, does not say what people accuse it of saying..

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   

ROFL.

Too funny.

Yes, he probably does. And probably also A Clockwork Orange and Slaughterhouse Five

Yes hilarious.....just get over the rape of young virgins and the slaughter of entire cities by the command of the christian god you wimp!

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Oh Ketsuko

You know that genocide has never happened anywhere else except in the Bible.

Next, I bet the OP will probably tell us that the Holocaust never happened. The Khmer Rouge, that was just a misunderstood guy. Rwanda, that's just a bunch of bad neighbors who couldn't get along. And that whole Stalin thing, just a little bump in the road that had nothing to do with atheism.

Sure, Stalin sure was invoking God while killing 25 million people.

Nope, I can't find a single bit of historical genocide anywhere else, except in the OT.

(maybe WarminIndy needs to eat something, she seems to be getting sarcastic)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

So have you purged your history books of all the evil genocide and killing that humanity has done without the guidance of God?

My history books = objective learning.

Is the Bible your history book? Do you read it in a non-spiritual way? Do you consider the commands to slaughter women and children and old people as recorded in the Bible as part of your spiritual learning?

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369

He is demanding to know why we don't purge the Bible, so does he only own books and similar media that is also purged of all objectionable violence?

I mean it seems to really bother him. I am concerned. If he reads those books, it might really upset him.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   

My history books = objective learning.

Is the Bible your history book? Do you read it in a non-spiritual way? Do you consider the commands to slaughter women and children and old people as recorded in the Bible as part of your spiritual learning?

I explained to you why they are there.

You found that explanation unacceptable. So I asked if you similarly purge all history you learn from of the things that might damage your tender sensibilities.
edit on 3-2-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Me? A wimp?

Thems fighting words, pardner.

(Really, WarminIndy needs to eat something, the snark is starting to show).

Yes, it is hilarious, so you wanna' discuss even more hilarious things?

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join