It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians, are violent old testament verses relevant to your beliefs today?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: WarminIndy
Then maybe God is karma.

You reap what you sow.

wait what...so you accept karma, a hindu concept?

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: rokkuman

For Christians, that is the word of Jesus which counts. Old Testament is for Jews and alike, for Christians, the New Testament.

Jesus was teaching love, and accepting differences, strife for becoming a better person. He never ever accepted to kill anybody.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: deckdel

For Christians, that is the word of Jesus which counts.

So the old testament has no place in the Christian faith at all, correct?

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: deckdel

God killed Ananias and Sapphira in the NT over a little bit of money and a tiny piece of land. If Jesus didn't approve killing people then at least God did, but then again some people think Jesus is God.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Yes it is called history and it is happening all the time.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick

Yes it is called history and it is happening all the time.

yeah its history so why do Christians have those violent chapters in their bibles today?

please address the questions in the op.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: rokkuman

originally posted by: ATF1886
Just like any father punishing his children he stated the wages of sin is death how much more clear do you want it???

So what was the sin of the infants and babies that were slaughtered? Oh wait let me guess they inherited the sin from eating the fruit? give me a break.

Like I said in the op i expected that christians are going to justify it. Christians have no qualms with violence as long its their side doing it. The ultimate hypocrisy.

Tell me where the people in the OT were Christian?

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: ATF1886
Just like any father punishing his children he stated the wages of sin is death how much more clear do you want it???

So what was the sin of the infants and babies that were slaughtered? Oh wait let me guess they inherited the sin from eating the fruit? give me a break.

Like I said in the op i expected that christians are going to justify it. Christians have no qualms with violence as long its their side doing it. The ultimate hypocrisy.

Tell me where the people in the OT were Christian?

They weren't Christians.

So why are 21st century Christians using the OT?

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Please use some common sense.

It is the same reason the schools teach about past events in schools.

I hope you are here seeking answers and not just going down the same ole worn path all others take.

The old testament is much the same as the koran and other violent books. There is a real serious need in the world today for the muslim faith to go through reformation. Reformation is exactly what Jesus done for the old testament. If you lose track of your roots or mistakes then you are bound to repeate them. Jesus fulfilled the law not the ten commandments but he summed it all up nicely for us and that summation is love. Once a person is truely found with love in their heart then acceptence will come.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick

Please use some common sense.

It is the same reason the schools teach about past events in schools.

I hope you are here seeking answers and not just going down the same ole worn path all others take.

The old testament is much the same as the koran and other violent books. There is a real serious need in the world today for the muslim faith to go through reformation. Reformation is exactly what Jesus done for the old testament. If you lose track of your roots or mistakes then you are bound to repeate them. Jesus fulfilled the law not the ten commandments but he summed it all up nicely for us and that summation is love. Once a person is truely found with love in their heart then acceptence will come.

Yes.

I agree.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Your so called "holy bible" drips with the blood of men, women, children, infants and old people slaughtered by Old Testament warlords. Im sure you Bible experts know the verses Im talking about so don't ask me for citations. While I am most aware of the threat posed by radical Islam its most laughable whenever Christians point fingers at islamic violence. Its a complete pot/kettle moment.

"But biblical violence happened in the past"

If it is purely a "past" thing, then what are those nasty verses from the past doing in your Bibles in this age? Or do you retain then because they are somehow relevant to your theology? If so, then don't bother telling me the details because Christians and Muslims fall in the same category.

If those verses are not relevant to you then I dare you to rip out them out of the Bible since you don't need them anymore in the 21st century. Then, at least have the integrity to admit that bible violence and genocide was a bad thing. But nooo you're going to justify it or tell me that its a good thing because God ordered it or something.

I guess barbaric violence is only acceptable if your team does it, right?

Having a bad day are we?

Another bible hater regurgitating what has been said hundreds of time here on ATS.

I have been told to stop pushing my beliefs on non believers, OK no problem ......done.

So why don't you stop hating and keep your negative opinions to yourself.

I think there is an opening for you to join the IS. Send me a post card.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Let me explain...

karma....the Law of Reciprocity, you reap what you sow. Universal law.

And let me ask this, since you are of the agreement that everyone has the ultimate right to do what they want, then so does God.

So, ultimately, if He has that right, as you do, then you can't complain, because you allow ultimate rights for everyone.

You reap what you sow, which is what Jesus DID also teach.

Universal law that isn't changed.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Because of the parts of Christ's teaching that relate back to it. You know the parts about the 10 Commandments which would be the law that isn't abolished.

There is also useful history in the OT. It is the story of Christ's lineage. It is also an accounting of the OT prophets.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Let me explain...

And let me ask this, since you are of the agreement that everyone has the ultimate right to do what they want, then so does God.

So, ultimately, if He has that right, as you do, then you can't complain, because you allow ultimate rights for everyone.

My original question remains unanswered.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Because of the parts of Christ's teaching that relate back to it. You know the parts about the 10 Commandments which would be the law that isn't abolished.

There is also useful history in the OT. It is the story of Christ's lineage. It is also an accounting of the OT prophets.

stop beating around the bush.

I asked a direct question which the Christains have been dodging.

Lets try again....okay?

Your biblical God asked people to kill babies and women and old people.
Do you condemn it? Or Not?

Yes or no.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Let me explain...

Everyone has the right to do whatever they want, just as long as it doesn't affect anyone else........whereas your god drowned everyone else when he wanted to.....

That's the actions of a murdered, plain and simple.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Let me explain...

Karma is not "universal law".

Its a purely hindu concept.

Are you Christian or Hindu? because my question was aimed at Christians.

or have christians started adopting hindu concepts?

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   

I have. Some of it makes sense. So why not?
Many of my Christian friends are open to reincarnation as well.

I do not believe that was God but instead were people claiming to speak or
act for God. We see it all the time today. I'm sure it was the same back then.
The OT god and Jesus are direct opposites.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   

stop beating around the bush.

I asked a direct question which the Christains have been dodging.

Lets try again....okay?

Yes or no.

No i do not condemn the acts in the old testament. Everything happened just the way it was supposed to happen or we would not be here today. I condemn such acts in todays society because of the new testament and the law of the land is not the same as it was.

Do you condemn the baby killing going on today by planned parent hood?

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Let me explain...

Karma is not "universal law".

Its a purely hindu concept.

Are you Christian or Hindu? because my question was aimed at Christians.

That is silly

It is like saying that air is a scientific concept.

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join