It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DOJ Wanted to Scan License Plates of Gun Show Attendees

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
The department of injustice had this hair brained idea. Install license plate readers at gun shows. To supposedly track 'illegal' guns. The glaring hypocrisy of this is not lost on anyone paying attention. From the DOJ's failure on illegal immigration to Fast and Furious. The DEA. The Drug enforcement agency working in conjunction with the ATF. To spy on people breaking no laws.

As guaranteed by the second,fourth,fifth,sixth,seventh,eighth,ninth, and tenth amendments. Gun shows are private to private sales. Not subject to idiotic regulations.

The April 2009 email states that “DEA Phoenix Division Office is working closely with ATF on attacking the guns going to [redacted] and the gun shows, to include programs/operation with LPRs at the gun shows.” The government redacted the rest of the email, but when we received this document we concluded that these agencies used license plate readers to collect information about law-abiding citizens attending gun shows. An automatic license plate reader cannot distinguish between people transporting illegal guns and those transporting legal guns, or no guns at all; it only documents the presence of any car driving to the event. Mere attendance at a gun show, it appeared, would have been enough to have one's presence noted in a DEA database.

Source

What does the DEA have to do with anything ?

And just by the mere act of going to one is enough to end up on their snip list. That's basically any gun owner these days were all 'criminal's. Even the DOJ's own surveys say by prison mates say criminal's do not obtain their firearms from gun shows.

The author summed it up better than anyone could:

Isn't it telling how ATF (specifically the Phoenix office in partnership with DOJ headquarters in Washington D.C.) had zero interest in tracking more than 2500 weapons they purposely gave to Mexican-narco terrorists through Operation Fast and Furious (which were used to killed hundreds of people, including U.S. federal law enforcement officers), but thought tracking law-abiding, innocent gun show attendees might be appropriate.

Yes it sure is telling. When a group of people have become a clear and present danger to the public neurosis. Here comes government, and their doing things right.

I wonder when the department of injustice, and the rest of the anti gun crowd is ever going to stop willfully violating gun owners civil liberties.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Yep, saw this yesterday.

Get your guns while you can.

Land of the free, what a joke.

Be thankful you don't live in NY. I couldn't get the rifle I wanted because it had 2 'EVIL' attachments. One was threads on the end of the barrel.

Not quite what our forefathers envisioned.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

If you think that's overly intrusive or overtly totalitarian try living in the UK, there are licence plate scanners/readers mounted on the entrance and exit to every dual carriageway and/or motorway we have.

edit on 2-2-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Profiling is wrong...

Unless it's racial...

*not an accusation to anyone currently in the thread.

**don't agree with either profiling attempt.

***explaining to avoid the knee jerkers.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
All of the gun shows i have gone too, all of the sellers were usually local gun dealers. It not like anyone can just go in there and setup a table and start selling guns. Im sure some under the table business goes on, but I would think if it does occur, then its happening behind the scenes. away from gun shows

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

Our fore fathers didn't allow all men to have guns either, so it is debatable to what they wanted.

And oh well, our lovely PD's already scan the joe public license plate when ever they want so what is different here?

Sounds like they are getting treated just like everyone else

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Our fore fathers didn't allow all men to have guns either, so it is debatable to what they wanted.

No it is not debatable.

They did not use harsh words to win their independence.

They used the end of the gun, and to ensure American's would have the capacity to fight absolute despostism.

They wrote the second amendment.

The sword to protect the word.
edit on 2-2-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
*memo to self .... next gun show I go to make sure I cover the license plate while the car is in the parking lot. Mud it up while it's there. It's not illegal to do that. (as far as I know).

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
your license plate is on public display any time you use your vehicle, any LEO can call in and have it checked legally. so, what's the problem?

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   

I'll be honest with you: my point of view on topics here are generally the exact opposite of yours in most cases. That's fine, different stroke for different folks- I learn a lot by having the world explained from a different perspective. But just because our vantage points are different, doesn't necessarily mean what we view as the fundamental problem and thus the end-game solution should be different as well.

I am and will always be a proud gun owner and gun supporter- it's in my Appalachian blood. I consider myself a true liberal, in that I feel there exists a fundamental obligation to protect our civil liberties. All of them. That includes the right to keep and bear arms, assemble freely, and not have big brother breathing down our necks. We should have the right to hold and form our own opinions, to mind our own damned business, and be free from others' opinions being rammed down our throats. Obviously, I believe we can agree on that. I'm sick and tired of how the U.S. constitution, the document that outlines our identity as a nation, has been defecated on the past 20 years (especially) by the pricks in Washington.

That said, I wish more of us coming from opposite ends of the political spectrum could find more common ground and prevent the implosion of what we, as a nation, stand for. Dare I say it, when it comes to the really important topics, most everyone, if they could muster an ounce of common sense/sanity, swallow their pride and set partisan BS aside, would probably agree. Where we come from is different, where we ultimately want to go is the same.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   
So they scan the license plates of cars at a gun show... the guns show is located at a huge multi-venue convention center. They scan all of the license plates and link a lady that is attending a flower show to being a domestic terrorist....
what a bunch of morons.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
A phrase keeps popping into my head, it's not paranoia if it's true...

I will happily eat crow if someone can explain how this would help track illegal guns in any way shape or form.

As far as I can see its sole purpose would be to track legal gun owners..

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Gave you a star for that one but hmmm have a better idea that would also help the waistline!!!!

Park the car three blocks away and walk to the event. If you bought anything there you can still carry it to the car.... better still if you have a CCW permit you can carry it under cover...

@ Jimmyx yes you are right, however, being on a public highway does not label you like parking in a lot for only visiting a gun show.... That is placing a target on your back....

I am ashamed how America has changed since my departure 30 years ago... Everytime I want to come home I read things like this and shake my head. I live far from cities and our village does not even sport a cop shop!!!! Its hard to leave a place like this on the channel!!!

I keep forgetting why any of us served our country even bothered.....

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: FatherStacks

That said, I wish more of us coming from opposite ends of the political spectrum could find more common ground and prevent the implosion of what we, as a nation, stand for. Dare I say it, when it comes to the really important topics, most everyone, if they could muster an ounce of common sense/sanity, swallow their pride and set partisan BS aside, would probably agree. Where we come from is different, where we ultimately want to go is the same.

Cheers for saying this If it was regular people in elected office, well, in Washington, I have no doubt common ground would be found and advancement for the populace would happen.

My step daughter is polar opposite of me, yet we can sit down and compromise and find a lot of common sense solutions.

These 'officials' we have, only get where they are because they have sold out. They are bought and paid for puppets of their bankster masters.

Look how McCain was groveling at the feet of Kissinger in that other thread.

The people in selected office could give a rats ass about us little people.

They feed the illusion of 'divide' between the parties to keep us distracted and deter us from looking behind the curtain.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx
your license plate is on public display any time you use your vehicle, any LEO can call in and have it checked legally. so, what's the problem?

So then you would have no problem with putting license plate readers at gay pride parades.

Since it is acceptable to target American groups.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

originally posted by: jimmyx

So then you would have no problem with putting license plate readers at gay pride parades.

Since it is acceptable to target American groups.
If you're in public, chances are you're being monitored. License plate readers have been around for a long time. At nearly every major intersection in the US. A person with a camera can take a picture of your plates at any time.

That being said, I don't think this is necessarily illegal, but it sure does seem shady.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

It is NOT the same thing.

Not EVEN CLOSE to being.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: IceHappy
a reply to: FlyersFan

I keep forgetting why any of us served our country even bothered.....

I think that often.

I was able to visit the US cemetery in Normandy a few years ago.

I am glad at least they never saw what was done with their sacrifice.

Even the current vets, from Iraq and Afghanistan, the vast majority went in with good intentions.

My heart goes out to them, to see these new vets talking about what a waste it has all been.

Pisses me off to see people blame the vets. That's for another thread, hope wasn't to off topic.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Except it isn't just monitoring the public. It's targeted monitoring of a specific group... Gun Owners.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

It is NOT the same thing.

Not EVEN CLOSE to being.

I did say it seemed really shady. I'm agreeing with you here!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join