It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hockey Fans Pour Beer On Native Kids, Tell Them To 'Go Back To The Rez'

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 02:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Leonidas

When the culture in a position of dominance identifies another group of people as "other", it is a very small step to convert the term"other" to "lesser". Historically it is done most fervently by the less successful members of the privileged group.

Any White Male in Western society that cries "racism" is calling themselves out. It is still "our" world and if you can't make it in a culture that STILL puts you first based solely on your gender and skin colour then the problem lies in the mirror alone and not the "other". Whatever that "other" is, be it race or gender.

Errr ya might wanna be careful there Leonidas, the above sounds suspiciously like , "White Privilege"..you might get pelted for that... this is.. Sparta??..

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Everyday run of the mill occurrence that Natives have to endure. It's not hidden, it's not apologized for.
When was the last time YOUR doctor pulled something like this?
(see link)

Making excuses for the people who sprayed beer on those kids, by saying they were "just drunk" minimizes the actual action. Yeah.....stop doing that. They knew EXACTLY what they were doing & saying, they just didn't think anyone would have the balls to come forward and complain. That if someone DID take issue with it, they didn't imagine it would go viral on the internet.

The doctor wrote her a prescription, and told her she was good to go. When she got home, she discovered all the doctor had scribbled on the prescription form was a crude drawing of a beer bottle, circled with a slash through it.

"It just blew my mind, what they put on it. It's discriminating against natives, I'm pretty sure," says Labrecque. She complained to the hospital, who told her the doctor was disciplined, though she never found out what happened to him.
www.cbc.ca...

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

originally posted by: WarminIndy

a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

But like with some bullies maybe its born out of frustration at a world where they seem they have lost control over. Unemployment, jobs being exported, useless wars taking much needed taxes...I am in no way defending their abhorrent actions. I just wonder what with all the nervousness about US/Russian relations at the moment, the EU fragmenting, I wonder if this is one of the clues that we are heading for dark days ahead?

Are hemlines trending shorter or longer at the moment?

I respectfully disagree, this type of bullying existed when times are good or bad and yes bullies come in all forms, colors and shape, all that is needed is a perception of weakness be it physical, economic , numerical or political if you are perceived to be all four you are in for a world of hurt.

Earlier I used the scenario that if these kids were placed in L.A the sympathies of many here would drop..for out there, their Hispanic speaking cousins are in no way a small number and might well be a majority by now, matter of fact it is doubtful if the incident would have taken place in certain quarters.

I am well a where the census separate Latinos and Native Americans, but the reality is, while most Native Americans are not Hispanic,most Hispanics are Native Americans or carries a heavy doze of Native American genes.

Well, to be fair, Hispanic is a culture based on Spanish. While Native Americans are Native American because they are Native American, their Hispanic "cousins" who are Native Central Americans, you have to consider those who are actually not from Spanish influence.

Many Aztecs and Mayans today have very little Spanish influence, but they are MesoAmerican. While you might call them cousins, they are only slightly genetic and you might as well say that Russians are their cousins also, because they were said to have come from Siberia.

But there are unique haplotypes among Native Americans, making them a unique genetic group, isolated from their "cousins".

The thing is here, in the US, the Native Americans have been given treaties that were continually violated over the many centuries of European/American governance. But Hispanics still recognize the Spanish language and culture. That's the difference.

If they are "cousins" then you should say the Siberians are their cousins also, but 12,000 years of Native American culture, of the Anzik and Clovis Point culture, I would have to say that Native Americans in the US are a unique genetic group. MesoAmericans are another unique genetic group.

And yet we know that Atztlan lay north of Mexico where the Aztecs came from , trade and movement flowed both ways, and they may not be so unique that's like saying R1b and H are not equally European.
Yes there is an overlay of Spanish language but culture?? on a surface level that maybe true but on a deeper level they are in no way Spaniard,not unlike their northern cousins most of whom English is the first language and on the surface pop culture is what is practiced, but in their rural setting they may go deep roots.

You are talking specifically about the Southwest, correct?

Native American are from Greenland to Alaska and on all the entire North American continent that have no shared culture,language or traditions with Azatlan.

Language, Geography and Haplotypes of Native Americans and Asians

Genetic drift and bottlenecking of haplotypes have occurred throughout history on the continent. While you could say the Southwestern Natives are "cousins" of Hispanics in Mexico, I should remind you that Hispanic is still the Spanish word for Spanish peoples. A person of all Spanish descent in Puerto Rico and Cuba are still called Hispanic and there was an island called Hispanola.

Anzick boy

You might say they are "cousins" in the same way you might say we are "cousins" to the chimpanzee or bonobo, but given that we have genetic evidence of a people 13,000 years ago, and this found burial is recent, we don't have evidence yet of older samples, does not mean there aren't older peoples.

I would not say they are related to Hispanics, as it was said by the poster that I commented to, because Mexico has a large influence of Spanish, and not only Spanish but Sephardi Jewry, then it can only be those Aztecs and Mayans that are extremely distantly related, still making the continental North American Natives unique, culturally, by language and genetically. I highly doubt there was much trade between Greenland Inuits and Aztecs at Mazatlan.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   

You might say they are "cousins" in the same way you might say we are "cousins" to the chimpanzee or bonobo, but given that we have genetic evidence of a people 13,000 years ago, and this found burial is recent, we don't have evidence yet of older samples, does not mean there aren't older peoples.
Except for the fact that chimps and bonobo aren't human...or does that, either intentionally or ironically, feed further layers to this topic?

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

Except for the fact that chimps and bonobo aren't human...or does that, either intentionally or ironically, feed further layers to this topic?

Notice that I used the " and " for "cousins"?

The point is, I was simply pointing out about the idea that someone said "Hispanic cousins". That was what I was referring to. And I have given links to support my stance that Native Americans are a unique population that has resided in North America for a very long time.

I was not implying that they are not humans, only that as a human population, they are very old. I don't know if you thought I was implying something else.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   

But like with some bullies maybe its born out of frustration at a world where they seem they have lost control over. Unemployment, jobs being exported, useless wars taking much needed taxes...I am in no way defending their abhorrent actions. I just wonder what with all the nervousness about US/Russian relations at the moment, the EU fragmenting, I wonder if this is one of the clues that we are heading for dark days ahead?

Are hemlines trending shorter or longer at the moment?

I respectfully disagree, this type of bullying existed when times are good or bad and yes bullies come in all forms, colors and shape, all that is needed is a perception of weakness be it physical, economic , numerical or political if you are perceived to be all four you are in for a world of hurt.

Earlier I used the scenario that if these kids were placed in L.A the sympathies of many here would drop..for out there, their Hispanic speaking cousins are in no way a small number and might well be a majority by now, matter of fact it is doubtful if the incident would have taken place in certain quarters.

I am well a where the census separate Latinos and Native Americans, but the reality is, while most Native Americans are not Hispanic,most Hispanics are Native Americans or carries a heavy doze of Native American genes.

Well, to be fair, Hispanic is a culture based on Spanish. While Native Americans are Native American because they are Native American, their Hispanic "cousins" who are Native Central Americans, you have to consider those who are actually not from Spanish influence.

Many Aztecs and Mayans today have very little Spanish influence, but they are MesoAmerican. While you might call them cousins, they are only slightly genetic and you might as well say that Russians are their cousins also, because they were said to have come from Siberia.

But there are unique haplotypes among Native Americans, making them a unique genetic group, isolated from their "cousins".

The thing is here, in the US, the Native Americans have been given treaties that were continually violated over the many centuries of European/American governance. But Hispanics still recognize the Spanish language and culture. That's the difference.

If they are "cousins" then you should say the Siberians are their cousins also, but 12,000 years of Native American culture, of the Anzik and Clovis Point culture, I would have to say that Native Americans in the US are a unique genetic group. MesoAmericans are another unique genetic group.

And yet we know that Atztlan lay north of Mexico where the Aztecs came from , trade and movement flowed both ways, and they may not be so unique that's like saying R1b and H are not equally European.
Yes there is an overlay of Spanish language but culture?? on a surface level that maybe true but on a deeper level they are in no way Spaniard,not unlike their northern cousins most of whom English is the first language and on the surface pop culture is what is practiced, but in their rural setting they may go deep roots.

You are talking specifically about the Southwest, correct?

Native American are from Greenland to Alaska and on all the entire North American continent that have no shared culture,language or traditions with Azatlan.

Language, Geography and Haplotypes of Native Americans and Asians

Genetic drift and bottlenecking of haplotypes have occurred throughout history on the continent. While you could say the Southwestern Natives are "cousins" of Hispanics in Mexico, I should remind you that Hispanic is still the Spanish word for Spanish peoples. A person of all Spanish descent in Puerto Rico and Cuba are still called Hispanic and there was an island called Hispanola.

Anzick boy

I would not say they are related to Hispanics, as it was said by the poster that I commented to, because Mexico has a large influence of Spanish, and not only Spanish but Sephardi Jewry, then it can only be those Aztecs and Mayans that are extremely distantly related, still making the continental North American Natives unique, culturally, by language and genetically. I highly doubt there was much trade between Greenland Inuits and Aztecs at Mazatlan.

mexicanfood1.wordpress.com...
I am talking about the south west but south east coast as well, and yes all native Americans do not share the same culture or language or even sprang from a single source, no large continental mass of people do, but even among the cultures north of the Rio Grande differed among themselves but that still do not make them any less first world people.
The Hispanic like Anglo sometimes African were thrown in the mix with cultural and genetic influences from and to these folks north and south, and from the Islands to a lesser extent were present.
I think most people when the think Native Americans, reservations come to mind and not urban, but most Native Americans do not live on reservations .

Despite a common assumption not all the American Indians live in reservations. Actually the American Indians living outside the reservations make up the vast majority: between 64% and 85% of the American Indians do not live in one of the reservations or Indian communities in the USA but in rural areas or in big cities.

en.wikibooks.org...
In Brooklyn you can't eye ball one as especially separate from an Hispanic.
edit on 3-2-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   

I was not implying that they are not humans, only that as a human population, they are very old. I don't know if you thought I was implying something else.

No, I didn't. I see it as an accidental inference. But I do note that there is a history of the First Nations being as regarded as sub-human. Makes it easier to kill them for their land. Certainly, examples such as this thread show that to many, they are still 'lesser-than'.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   

No, I didn't. I see it as an accidental inference. But I do note that there is a history of the First Nations being as regarded as sub-human. Makes it easier to kill them for their land. Certainly, examples such as this thread show that to many, they are still 'lesser-than'.

Oh well in that case, no, there is no inference from me that they are "sub-human". Maybe I should reiterate my statement.

I descend from the Monacan tribe of Jamestown, Virginia (yes, the same as Pocahontas). Maybe it is just a little bit but still those are my distant ancestors, just as I am also 2.9% Neanderthal.

Maybe because I have Colonial American ancestry that makes a difference in my perspective?

I would not want anyone to think that inference has been made, accidental or otherwise. I think Canadians don't have the same idea when it comes to Metis, perhaps not so blended.

But these people who did this at the hockey game, they are racist. They obviously don't care about anything else except their own warped sense of racial superiority.

There is no racial superiority, only some people who think they are.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

I think Canadians don't have the same idea when it comes to Metis, perhaps not so blended.
Trust me, Canada doesn't have the best record as a colonising power, either. Here, the Brits were more inclined to cheat the FN out of their land, as opposed to out-right killing them as in the American West. Metis today are fighting for their rights as many of them are regarded as non-status and fall even further between the cracks. Yes, improvements are being made, but as with any societal change, the pace is glacial. Go to any on-line news account of the accidental disinterment of an Indigenous burial...the check out the comments section. That's a good barometer of how far we still need to go.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

mexicanfood1.wordpress.com...
I am talking about the south west but south east coast as well, and yes all native Americans do not share the same culture or language or even sprang from a single source, no large continental mass of people do, but even among the cultures north of the Rio Grande differed among themselves but that still do not make them any less first world people.
The Hispanic like Anglo sometimes African were thrown in the mix with cultural and genetic influences from and to these folks north and south, and from the Islands to a lesser extent were present.
I think most people when the think Native Americans, reservations come to mind and not urban, but most Native Americans do not live on reservations .

Despite a common assumption not all the American Indians live in reservations. Actually the American Indians living outside the reservations make up the vast majority: between 64% and 85% of the American Indians do not live in one of the reservations or Indian communities in the USA but in rural areas or in big cities.

en.wikibooks.org...
In Brooklyn you can't eye ball one as especially separate from an Hispanic.

That is true, and some reservations have many more members. Some Native Americans might not ever have tribal affiliation, even though they are Native American. But they are still indeed Native American.

But that is a political issue that isn't going to be solved by people outside, it is an issue that they are coming to terms with themselves.

I would not presume to tell the Western Band of the Cherokee just who should be considered Cherokee, because they have their own constitution and legal system that identifies who is Cherokee, to them. So let them deal with that issue.

But the many who may never get tribal affiliation or live on reservations, the BIA has been lax in helping them and in some cases discriminating against them. It stems back to Walter Plecker and how he had it forced into law to deny Native Americans in Virginia their rightful identity. So it is not an easy issue.

I don't know how to solve the problem of the political issues but I cannot deny them their right as a Native American to be Native American, they are Native American by virtue of being Na Dene, the First Peoples.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   

I think Canadians don't have the same idea when it comes to Metis, perhaps not so blended.
Trust me, Canada doesn't have the best record as a colonising power, either. Here, the Brits were more inclined to cheat the FN out of their land, as opposed to out-right killing them as in the American West. Metis today are fighting for their rights as many of them are regarded as non-status and fall even further between the cracks. Yes, improvements are being made, but as with any societal change, the pace is glacial. Go to any on-line news account of the accidental disinterment of an Indigenous burial...the check out the comments section. That's a good barometer of how far we still need to go.

And that is why I am opposed to the Keystone pipeline, because it does affect the First Nations of Alberta, which means once again the American government is screwing the First Nations, this time in a different country.

Sorry for anyone who agrees with Keystone, I don't think we should applaud this at the expense of First Nations in Alberta.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: WarminIndy

I don't know how to solve the problem of the political issues but I cannot deny them their right as a Native American to be Native American, they are Native American by virtue of being Na Dene, the First Peoples.

Can't argue with the above.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   

And that is why I am opposed to the Keystone pipeline, because it does affect the First Nations of Alberta, which means once again the American government is screwing the First Nations, this time in a different country.

Sorry for anyone who agrees with Keystone, I don't think we should applaud this at the expense of First Nations in Alberta.
Interestingly enough, the Keystone Pipeline is all about tar sands oil, and the Koch brothers are the largest foreign lease holders in the patch. No wonder they are flooding the GOP with cash...but I digress...

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: BerenstEiner

I'm getting pissed at word uhmerican also I think it's a slur against us Americans. Truth is most native Americans are treated rather well In the United states . There will allways be a few a holes around but I dont think a whole country should be judged because of it. I have noticed a lot of anti american sentiment on this site lately and it's getting rediculous. The United States is huge its composed of 50 states some states bigger than most countries so trying to throw all Americans into one basket and use slurs like uhmerican a or merica is silly! A lot of us Americans have Indian blood running through our veins and would stand up for our Indian brothers in a heartbeat I know I would!

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Interestingly enough, the Keystone Pipeline is all about tar sands oil, and the Koch brothers are the largest foreign lease holders in the patch. No wonder they are flooding the GOP with cash...but I digress...

Also interesting is that the Koch Bro's (as well as their subsidiaries) have not leased any space in Keystone XL, nor does Keystone XL go anywhere near their owned refineries...nor is their any current plans for tie ins to get the product made from Koch owned facilities to TC pipelines.

If the Koch's are backing the GOP, it probably has more to do with poking Buffet in the berries than it does with getting access to Keystone.

They appear to be making their money from the leases (buying low, selling high) not from actually producing product or shipping it.
edit on 3-2-2015 by peck420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: peck420

Also interesting is that the Koch Bro's (as well as their subsidiaries) have not leased any space in Keystone XL, nor does Keystone XL go anywhere near their owned refineries...nor is their any current plans for tie ins to get the product made from Koch owned facilities to TC pipelines.

If the Koch's are backing the GOP, it probably has more to do with poking Buffet in the berries than it does with getting access to Keystone.

They appear to be making their money from the leases (buying low, selling high) not from actually producing product or shipping it.

Aren't the Koch Brothers also affiliated with Goldman Sachs, who was Obama's largest contributor?

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Aren't the Koch Brothers also affiliated with Goldman Sachs, who was Obama's largest contributor?

They are.

I don't think they (or Buffet) have any sort of political leaning. Just, the preferred option, and the hedged bet.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
The bigotry is pretty pathetic, but if you mention the "3rd quarter" while at a hockey game you really don't belong there.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanKeizer
The bigotry is pretty pathetic, but if you mention the "3rd quarter" while at a hockey game you really don't belong there.
Or you need to spend more time there...we are talking South Dakota, not Toronto.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   
You think it's bad in the US? Come to Canada. Native women go missing every other day and the government hardly lifts a finger.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join