It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hockey Fans Pour Beer On Native Kids, Tell Them To 'Go Back To The Rez'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Stumbled across this despicable act of barbarism in Uhmerica.

- Hockey Fans Pour Beer On Native Kids, Tell Them To 'Go Back To The Rez'

- Fans at a minor league hockey game reportedly pour beer, hurl racist insults at Native American children

- Suspects Who Hit Native American Kids With Racial Slurs, Beer Identified, Police Say

Justin Poor Bear, one of the parents who chaperoned the group of kids from the American Horse School in Allen, South Dakota, described the ugly incident on Facebook:

“There were 15 or more (people) inside of the suite, most of them men. [T]hey were getting drunk and around the 3rd Quarter they (started) talking crap to our kids and throwing down beer on some of them including our staff and students… (They were) telling our students to back to the rez.”

The 57 children who attended the Rush hockey game on Saturday were students at the American Horse School and were invited to the game as part of a program with the hockey team, KOTA reported.

“I didn’t go to fight, after all I represent American Horse School,” he wrote on Facebook. “I (want) to see all our kids have fun, and for the most part they did until a group of drunks did this to our kids tonight.”

“I’ve never seen anything like this before. Some of the things being said to the children were racially charged. I don’t know how to perceive people who would behave that way,” he said. “We have to bring these kids back to have a good experience.”

"They were targets of a hate crime because of their skin color, because they were from the rez and they were told to go back to the rez,” she said. “Why do we have to explain that they're hated just because of their skin color? We as parents, we struggle with that, what do we tell them? You know, it's hard.”

* It takes a Real Big Uhmerican To Pick On Native Kids - -

You won’t see Al Sharpton or Jessie Jackson coming to their defense. Natives have gotten an under-played stereotype placed on them. Yet, I’ve seen on ATS some despicable comments towards them, such as: “They’re whiners”

* - I believe this is a great opportunity to open our eyes to how Natives get treated & make sure that we use our position of ‘privilege’ to make sure other don’t act this way towards Natives.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   
and people on ATS & on the outside want to tell Natives how to feel when it comes to their identity used for mascots & other representation?

Don't the Natives have the right to say 'Hey, I don't appreciate you using our image in that manner'

These are the issues in which they live through, witness, undergo, suffer & are fighting against - - Drunk white Uhmericans saying to the Natives "Quit whining & you can't do sh*t about it".

Disgusting.

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: APT1Yksnidnak

S & F for bringing this out into the open. The racism for Native American's, First Nations is rampant and blatant yet never discussed. It's great this looks to be pursued as a hate crime on the federal level and also as child abuse which it is.

Just who the heck do they rent sky-boxes too anyways???

+10 more 
posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I don't know anyone from the USA who looks down on Native Americans or calls them whiners.

A group of drunk idiots can happen anywhere, not just the USA.

EDIT: from one of the linked articles...

Rapid City Mayor Sam Kooiker told reporters the incident is “gut wrenching” and said “apologizing simply isn’t enough.”

“We need to have a full investigation of what took place,” he said.

Rapid City police are looking into assault charges. Hate crime as well as child abuse statutes are also being considered by police.

Shame it happened but it sounds like it is being handled correctly to me.

edit on 1-2-2015 by Elton because: fixed

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

You aren't kidding.

It's cool for H-wood to make movies about them but NOT cool to listen their viewpoints.

* These Native issues HAS to be brought to the fore-front of Uhmerican policies & decisions. Because foolishly the Uhmerican govt placed Natives on valuable lands & then proceeded to use their identity for their sports.

If Uhmerica can't swallow their pride & compromise w/ the Natives - - then there is the HIGH probability that Natives will take an armed stance. They don't play around!

- - Which side will you take?
edit on 1-2-2015 by APT1Yksnidnak because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Elton

You're right. Seems like it is being handled correctly, for the moment.

There's SOOOOOoooooo many other instances that occur daily/yearly in 'Indian Country'.

* You would be ashamed to know what kind of things Natives go through while being hassled by the 'white community'. Hell, the Affordable Care Act is mirrored from the Native Health Care System. Crazy! but don't tell anyone, sssshhh!

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Maybe these kids shouldn't get offended by actions and words so easy.
Probably just a bunch of race baiters anyway.

/sarc

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   

I don't know anyone from the USA who looks down on Native Americans or calls them whiners.

There's been a few on ATS. I'll leave it at that.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

LoL.

Shut up kids while I dump beer on you.

- Whats that? Please stop? - - F*ck you, you savages!

Appalling.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   
How people behave when drunk exposes some things about them though, including if there's a lingering disdain for native Americans. Certain groups get attacked by drunk idiots way more than others- such as non-white people while on the other hand there're groups who don't get bullied or insulted in a specific, to that group related way.

Not nice to see what's under the surface there. It's a shame the mayor had to respond correctly in the first places you already said... but I just mean: the event on itself, by having happened several times shows something.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
My mom lives and works on the pine ridge reservation, she tells me about this kind of thing all the time.

It's really sad that people still act like what happened to the natives was no big deal and we need to just get over it.

And yes it is very prevalent here on ATS.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Sad to say i but live in a small town in western canada close to 2 reserves, the crap people can say for no reason towards the natives happens way too much, its sad how there looked down and treated, im ashamed of behing a human behing when someone is put down for there different culture.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Most people don't, but in locale's close to Reservations or Reserves it's common. You won't hear it in the Mainstream news either. However listen to a local news cast in Canada about a protest, like Idle No More, or other protests and things are said by the news anchors that would curl your hair.

Here in the States a news anchor would be outright fired.
All you have to do is read the comment section of the CBC under Native news articles FFS!!!

Elton if you were keeping up with Native issues you'd be exposed to many unwarranted racist comments. I'm guessing you don't or you wouldn't have made the above statement. Maybe it's time you did?
edit on 1-2-2015 by Caver78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I didn't realize that there was still so much anti Native sentiment in USA.

I sincerely hope we move beyond it.

@Caver78 surprisingly my best friend growing up is Native and works for a reservation now, I'll ask him about his experiences... :/

edit on 1-2-2015 by Elton because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   
It is heartbreaking to hear of these types of horrible things occurring in our Homeland. I have nothing but the utmost respect for the Indigenous Peoples of the Americas. They have always been the most Human Beings I have ever had the good graces to meet during my travels on this little planet.

I've met some Native gentlemen who are easily 7' or taller with hands so large they could probably crush an average sized skull were they so inclined, but they have the most gentle spirits and biggest hearts and smiles I have ever seen. Not to mention wonderful storytellers!

I know this is somewhat horrible to admit, but instances and reports of rude behavior against Native Peoples is the one thing that really sets my fires running and blood boiling wishing for the day when a larger, more brutal and indomitable race of beings finally makes it to our little world and they just happen to have an affinity for serving a big dish of comeuppance on those types of drunk creeps exclusively and with great impunity.

I really hope these kids don't let that type of jerk dim their bright and beautiful souls.

My heart definitely goes out to them.

edit on 2/1/15 by GENERAL EYES because: formatting clarity

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   

I read about this and was thoroughly disgusted. I also read that the excuse was that they didn't stand for the national anthem. So, the a holes try to blame the victims for something in order to make what they did look okay. I saw somewhere else that one of the guys that did it.

Source

Source

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Quick question, what is a "uhmerica"?

What does a name of a continent have to do with drunk idiots?

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Natives, First Nations People, are the ancient and beloved races who lived for thousands of years without banks, money and real estate agents, and they were preserved through cycles that wiped out civilizations. Think we should be honoring and listening to them alot more. Even in our small community, my crystal angelic very shy son, is treated with prejudice by doctors and teachers.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   
The bozos are trying to say they didn't stand for the stupid anthem & that makes dumping booze on the kids ok? I could care less if the kids had mooned the flag, you don't pour alcohol on them. It's as tasteless as throwing water in someone's face, or food. Adults doing it to kids is downright abusive no matter how you cut it. That's going to leave long-lasting emotional scars on them, having to deal with alcoholism predispositions anyway & the ensuing harsh stereotypes.
edit on 2/1/2015 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Unfortunately, that's not just a problem in the US (and Canada, apparently?), it's also pretty bad here in Brazil.

We have lots of natural resources, as everybody knows, so they keep getting more and more explored. Which means the Natives keep losing more and more of their land. They end up being left in what I can only call a limbo. They are thrown out of their own world, but there's no room for them in the so called "civilised" world either.

What happens is pretty obvious. They start selling handmade stuff on the roads and small towns, but it's all very cheap, cause nobody cares. Usually, it's kids on a school field trip that end up buying their stuff. When I was a kid, I loved taking money to those and getting a bunch of stuff, and I obviously didn't have a lot of money with me when I was ten.

And many others just get... lost. They have no future, so they end up being victims of this cruel system, homeless and without a way of changing that.

But, of course, the reason why they're homeless and hopeless is because they're too lazy to do something about it, right?

I remember when I was a child I read an article on the newspaper about some teenagers who set fire on a Native who was sleeping on the street because they thought it'd be funny.

Sick people.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join