It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Darwin Award: Celebrity Trainer who filmed himself on train tracks dies, hit by train

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 04:27 AM
link   
What to say to this?

gawker.com...

Greg Plitt, an actor, model and Bravo TV personality, died Saturday after he was hit by a train in Burbank, CA. According to reports, he was shooting some sort of fitness video at the time.

Plitt was reportedly a West Point graduate who appeared on Days of Our Lives, and the Bravo reality shows, Work Out and Friends to Lovers.

In a statement from CNN;

edition.cnn.com...

Police have ruled out suicide, Burbank Police Sgt. Chris Canales said. Plitt, 37, was shooting video with a small crew on the southbound track of the Burbank Metrolink station when an oncoming train struck him.

Witnesses told police the train horn was blaring at the time of the accident, Canales said. It is unclear whether the crew captured footage of the incident.

Indeed, if one looks at one of Plitt's prior videos (don't worry, no gore), it's hard not to nominate Plitt as being a definite candidate for a Darwin Award.

Seriously, not to take away from the fact that this is a tragedy, but what a stupid self-inflicted one.

Indeed, what to say except dumb, dumb, dumb?

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I've always wonder how people (in most circumstances) manage to get hit by a train. I used to hang around the railroad tracks all the time as a kid...you can see and hear them coming from a very far distance. I just don't understand how you can actually get hit by one unless you're:

A. Being an idiot and trying to drive across the tracks to beat the train
B. Committing suicide
C. Tied to the tracks by a curly-mustachioed villain in a cape and top hat.

Sad, but you'd think people would know better..

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 04:38 AM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold
It's sad and a horrible way to go. Awful for his family, friends and the film crew as well. And the unfortunate train driver, who had no hope of doing anything about it.

Maybe Plitt didn't understand that "training" doesn't actually mean you need to work out on a train track...

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 04:38 AM
link   
I had a long ago relative who was killed by a train while he was picking up coal that had fallen from a coal car. This was standard practice at the time (and a not uncommon result), as coal was needed for heat and there was usually plenty laying around the tracks.

But exercising on train tracks while an onrushing train is barreling down on you? Not only stupid, but....well, ok, only stupid.

Full disclosure: For years, as I walked near train tracks, I'd walk on top of the rail (good balancing exercise), or on the tracks themselves while stepping on every second railroad tie (the wooden planks). But not once did I challenge, play dare, or get close to an oncoming train. Learned the lesson from my relative, and keep well away from taking my life in my hands over an unstoppable large metal speeding object on a predetermined set course.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 04:42 AM
link   

I just wonder...was his death cleverly planned by some unknown enemies? It could be. I suppose most will believe it was just a freak accident.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 04:45 AM
link   

why the hell exercise on a train track at all? what's wrong with just about any other place?
this guy was addicted to adrenaline or suicidal

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Ringknockers never were the brightest crayons in the box .. he upheld the tradition ..
edit on 19/1/15 by Expat888 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 05:17 AM
link   
i am not a conspiracy nut and i don't doubt it happened as described ...but most active tracks i have ever seen (make that all of them i have seen) have no rust on the upper portion that makes contact with the wheels. why are those tracks in the picture in the op rusty on top? in my experience a track that sees regular use will be kind of shiny on top and not rusty.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 05:53 AM
link   
should of upgraded too Direct TV

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 06:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Charizard

I'm a train driver and a close calls happen weekly. People just don't pay attention or think they can beat the train. I have had some real close ones. It happens in slow motion and all you can do is wait for the thud. Sometimes we have eye contact and the terror in their eyes is scary. I probably look the same to them.
Its called a "near miss" when it happens.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 06:13 AM
link   

just to point out :

the vid you link , that section of track is clearly unused

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: stormbringer1701

That rust can happen overnight. Where I work Last train 11pm next train 5am and track all rusted over

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Crazy...but that's how it goes.
People, get ready. There's a train a comin'.
Don't need no ticket. You just get on board.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   
In my little town, trains are a big part of our economy... with that being said; stay off of the tracks. Pretty simple.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Maybe they were told that the track they were on was not in use and thought the train they heard was on another track? Maybe the small crew looked or walked away for a minute? Who knows. Tragic in any case.

edit on 1/19/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: ZeussusZ

Its called a "near miss" when it happens.

...yeah, about that...

...just sayin'.

More like, what happened to this guy. Now THAT is a "near miss".

Still don't know how one doesn't notice a train coming. Not hearing it isn't really an excuse because you generally FEEL it, especially as it gets closer. It rattles your insides.

Idk...I won't assume.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Dear Greg Plitt, I'm reading the article and I see you like to use railroad tracks as a backdrop in your videos. Perhaps for safety's sake, use a green screen and super impose the tracks later, in editing. Oh wait. Never mind.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: stormbringer1701
i am not a conspiracy nut and i don't doubt it happened as described ...but most active tracks i have ever seen (make that all of them i have seen) have no rust on the upper portion that makes contact with the wheels. why are those tracks in the picture in the op rusty on top? in my experience a track that sees regular use will be kind of shiny on top and not rusty.

The videos we see aren't necessarily the same as what he was killed on.. And sometimes trains aren't active that often, there's a track that runs not that far behind my house but it can literally go months without use.

They also have a special train car that they run occasionally if it's been a while that they run specifically to clear the rails of rust if it's too badly rusted... it used to be a much more active line, running cargo 3-4 times a week.. but it sees MUCH less use these days.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I would say this is tragic but it's really not. The reality is a complete moron addicted to himself and his looks got so out of the real world and so far into his own that he actually thought a active train track would be a good place to work out. Thats not tragedy its pure stupidity fueled via self absorption. No story here but there is a moral. Don't let your ego get too ahead of reality. It's often fatal.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Guess he had a train to catch.*subglasses* yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!! Man it sucks when you get railroaded. Someones going to get choo choo d out for this i am sure.
Maybe he was a david alan coe fan? remember his momma got out of prison and got ran over by a dang ole train. So ill hang around as long as you will let me

OK. enough punning. I do feel bad for the family though. condolences. Oh look at the time. got a train to catch.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join