It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Is China Building Islands in the South China Sea?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
This is what I think China is trying to do:

In addition, Part VII of UNCLOS specifies that “Rocks which cannot sustain human habitation or economic life of their own shall have no exclusive economic zone or continental shelf.” Under this provision, even if China were to gain control over the Spratlys, its control would be limited to the 12 nautical mile territorial waters, without an accompanying exclusive economic zone.

If, however, China can create “islands” on top of previously submerged features and create conditions for these new islands to “sustain human habitation,” then China would have strongly bolstered its claims to the South China Sea. This is exactly what the Philippines objects to. In an interview for the BBC report, Department of Foreign Affairs spokesman Charles Jose called China’s claims in the South China Sea “outrageous,” “excessive,” and “without basis under international law.” He also accused China of trying to change the status quo to strengthen its claims before the arbitration court hands down its ruling on the Philippines’ case.When asked about the BBC report, Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying reiterated China’s position that “China’s activities on relevant islands and reefs of the Nansha Islands fall entirely within China’s sovereignty and are totally justifiable.”

look at a map at where the spratly`s and the Nansha islands are. if that is where they are building these islands, then that almost 800 miles from mainland china.Will china have a 12 mile territorial waters claim around these islands?

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Very smart words. I believe when the time comes they'll enter through the West Coast.

The Chinese are very patient, wielding power in front and behind the scenes. And for some reason I can imagine they have soldiers or trained people over here posing as regular citizens waiting for the right time.

What's 10, 20 years when the payoff lasts hundreds?

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Uh huh. And you dont think the NSA and CIA know about them and watch them like hawks? As long as they are good tax paying patsies they ar eleft alone. if there is a whiff of them trying something can you say chinese take out?

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex
All I can say is if WW3 prevails there will be no WW4!

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Little islands would be excellent places from which to launch land-based ship killer missiles. Better than space-based missiles in terms of cost, and they would always be in position. "Course, for the other guy, they would be tethered sitting ducks when push (button) came to shove (button).

(post by dr1234 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Could it be an underwater city of some sort around there?

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 03:39 AM
link   
The Chinese have a variety of territorial claims - virtually with all their neighbours - and have had a couple of shooting wars with India, doe example.

These developments are worrying for everyone in the South China Sea. They also give the lie to the opinion oft made on ATS that China is inoffensive and uninterested in expansionism. In fact, the reverse is true.

It is no wonder that countries in SE Asia are looking forward to the re-focussing of the US as a way to temper and balance the Chinese ambitions.

Regards

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Why Is China Building Islands in the South China Sea? To keep the US at bay thats why.

Paul Wolfowitz, the neoconservative who was Deputy Secretary of Defense under the Bush regime, declared:

“Our first objective is to prevent the re-emergence of a new rival, either on the territory of the former Soviet Union or elsewhere, that poses a threat on the order of that posed formerly by the Soviet Union. This is a dominant consideration underlying the new regional defense strategy and requires that we endeavor to prevent any hostile power from dominating a region whose resources would, under consolidated control, be sufficient to generate global power.”

Is Wolfowitz, when referring to “hostile power” referring to any power independent of Washington’s control?

Reference; Paul Craig Roberts

Whats htis got do with China? well they know that if the US gets Russia, they are next and last on the list

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I imagine building an Island out of a reef is no easy or cheap task. If China can do it shouldnt they get the credit for it? Not agreeing with them just playing devils advocate on the subject.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kukri
a reply to: OpenMindedRealist

Yeah so Russia ensured possession of some multi-billion dollar naval station on land that was originally theirs in the first place and China has always laid claim to those islands. Hardly expansionist intentions I would say. Unlike certain other countries who feel legitimized through their so called right to maintaining a "sphere of Influence".

Can you actually give me a legitimate recent example of these two countries expanding their borders (preventing secession doesn't count).

I think the Roman empire once owned Crimea...perhaps the Pope should own it?

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I would love to build my own island too, with an airfield, and a bird sanctuary, and a bevy of bathing beauties, and a garden of fine delights, and a.....and a....

As for China, why not build an island? If you can do it, go for it. ... And an elephant.....and a gold mine...and a....

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: noeltrotsky
China is building an airfield out of that little island, not a military base per se. Japan actually did the same thing to a relatively nearby island. It's really just to make it more affordable to patrol their claim to that part of the sea.

This would be no different than China building an island in the great lakes. They have no right to build an airport or anything else in territory that belongs to another country, without that county's permission to do so. And any airfield can be used as a military airfield, and in fact many countries do use their airports for both civilian airliners and as military airfields at the same time. There is also no need to patrol an area they have no real legitimate claim to. There have already been more than enough acts of aggression from China against fishermen from the countries that do have control and/or legitimate claims, no need to let them commit more.

Take a look at China's silly "nine dash line" map. First off look at just how far away from China the land they are trying to steal is (not to mention all the ocean, which is also a main area for shipping routes that it includes). Next notice that they seem to want to run their boarders pretty much right to the shores of other countries. How long till they decide that those countries must also belong to them? Heck it looks like it actually includes Malaysia within their "claim".

In all honesty China is behaving very much like Japan prior to and during WW2 and much for the same reasons and over much of the same territory.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: TiM3LoRd
I imagine building an Island out of a reef is no easy or cheap task.

China has never really bothered about their environmental impact on the world as they mindlessly pollute etc.

I have to wonder on the environmental impact of building new islands on reefs. Presumably, the material for the islands is being sucked up from the surrounding sea.

Some people are looking forward to a Chinese world! God help us.

Regards

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Good old BBC, always ahead of the game......

This actually started in the mid to late 1990's, when oil in abundance was confirmed under the Spratly Islands. And it wasn't just China, Japan and a couple of other regional neighbours were also involved. It started with the old game of "international marker bouys", whereby under international law uninhabited islands can be claimed by other sovereign nations by the simple expedient of placing marker buoys in your nations colours / marks around said islands and then going several months without them being spotted. If this is acheived, then hey presto, under International Law you now own those islands.

I realise this may seem rather crazy to some but check it out, all legal at the time (not sure if those International Laws have since been changed or not). It was actually Japan i believe that started this, but not fully sure. I do know the Chinese response was to start constructing floating platforms in the area to be manned by soldiers (can you imagine being sent on that job!) in order to spot sneaky neighbouring countries attempting the old "marker bouy" game.

Since then, China has clearly upped their game if floating platforms are now being replaced by artifical islands. In all though, i wouldn't worry - this has been going on for nearing 20 years now and it hasn't started war yet.....

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: learnatic

To keep the US at bay huh? I dont think so. maybe to grab resources actually. those islands will not have the ability to be outfitted with anything but surface weapons due to how its being created. cant really dig underground bases on them i think. Making them vulnerable.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   
They just need more land to pollute.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   

"With both Russia and China in expansionist moods I find this a worrying development"

This is news to me! Would you mind expanding on this "expansionism"

I have my issues with that, but at the same time a variety of countries in southeast Asia are complaining about Chinese encroachment on their fishing rights, water rights, etc. And the Chinese are legally too trying to claim more and more rights in those seas.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

They can't expess any power they are regional ONLY.
They don't have a BUTTLOAD of transportation for all those troops and let's see I DO seem to recall China was in a tussle with those superior numbers and got kicked back iinto their country...
IF one (1 ea) American life is lost and we say it's war then WE owe them BUPKISS.

edit on 19-1-2015 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-1-2015 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   

a reply to: OpenMindedRealist

Yeah so Russia ensured possession of some multi-billion dollar naval station on land that was originally theirs in the first place and China has always laid claim to those islands. Hardly expansionist intentions I would say. Unlike certain other countries who feel legitimized through their so called right to maintaining a "sphere of Influence".

Can you actually give me a legitimate recent example of these two countries expanding their borders (preventing secession doesn't count).

Now here is where it gets hard.

I lived in China for a bit, and tried to study history as much as I could while there.

Some of their claims to historical spots have validity, for example Taiwan was always part of China, or at least for most of history. SImilarly, China HAS had much control at various times over places such as Mongolia and Tibet. The Chinese gov, under Kublai Khan, has been involved with the Dalai Lamas since the very first one. Most people don't know that.

And, for thousands of years, they held sway over most of East/South Asia. Most societies in east and southeast Asia are said to have a Sinitic influence, i.e. deriving much culture, language, and so on from China. The only one that beats China on that historical influence in the area is India.

For thousands of years, China was one of the biggest and most advanced empires on Earth. A lot of people don't know this, but it's the oldest too. It was around since before the Roman Empire. It's still here.

It's only really from the late 1700's/early 1800's with Western Industrialization, expansion, and colonialism that the power of the Chinese was checked, including several interventions by Westerners.

One can look at Chinese power being flexed as a new thing, or them simply regaining their former power and catching up to the West slowly as they were before. For those versed in history, it's probably the latter.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join