It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flordia To Vote For Concealed Carry On College Campuses

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Saw this tonight on the local news.

Since the Florida State University campus shooting many people have asked what if one of the students had been carrying a concealed weapon? Would the shooter still have opened fire in the library? A proposed bill making its way to Capitol Hill next week would allow students and faculty to carry concealed weapons on campus. It would also allow for an open carry law.
Proposed bill would allow students and faculty to carry concealed weapons on campus

a bill was shot down back in 2011 but it didn't have a open carry attachment. you know they could drop the campus part and just pass the open carry and i would be happy.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

more guns in schools what could possibly go wrong

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Since you have to be 21 years old to own a handgun legally, then conceal carry would only be available to graduate students or professors.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   

I seem to remember quite a few people had your attitude when the castle doctrine and then stand your ground law went into effect.

People wailed it was going to be the wild west... Despite the press giving 24 hour coverage to any incident... It was not the shoot fest so many feared.

I doubt there would be many incidents in this case as well.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   

They already allow concealed carry in Texas and everything has been fine. The only person who doesn't want citizens armed and able to protect themselves is the criminal.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

we have concealed carry here also, but not on campuses there is a attachment to open carry on your hip any where, not just to hunting fishing, camping, gun range, your home or your own place of business or traveling to and fro.

edit on 16-1-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

I seem to remember quite a few people had your attitude when the castle doctrine and then stand your ground law went into effect.

People wailed it was going to be the wild west... Despite the press giving 24 hour coverage to any incident... It was not the shoot fest so many feared.

well to me the US already seems like the wild west...the more shootings that occur the more people want to carry guns....its seems like a self perpetuating cycle

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Well to me the US already seems like the wild west...the more shootings that occur the more people want to carry guns....its seems like a self perpetuating cycle

I can tell you for certain these shootings aren't being done by law-abiding concealed carry permit holders because criminals don't give a crap about being licensed. I know...hard to believe.

edit on 2015/1/16 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Well to me the US already seems like the wild west...the more shootings that occur the more people want to carry guns....its seems like a self perpetuating cycle

I can tell you for certain these shootings aren't being done by law-abiding concealed carry permit holders because criminals don't give a crap about being licensed. I know...hard to believe.

i have no doubt it is the criminal element that is causing the most problems...

i have a hard time wrapping my head around "more guns = less violence"

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Idaho there's been no issues, being the seventh state to allow this, this past year. Passing the law locally seems to have some support from a more recent event of a stalking on campus then ended in homicide(RIP), where it may have potentially saved a life because the person wasn't being helped(by the PD), or had no help to stop this otherwise.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Wait until a female student shoots a guy for hitting on them- then we'll see how smart this is, or drunk frat kids accidentally shooting each other.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Crime always flows to the path of least resistance.

Ever wonder why people rarely ever walk into a police station and try to commit mass murder?

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

i have no doubt it is the criminal element that is causing the most problems...

i have a hard time wrapping my head around "more guns = less violence"

Link

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

Wait until a female student shoots a guy for hitting on them- then we'll see how smart this is, or drunk frat kids accidentally shooting each other.

Well, how often does that happen in the other half-dozen states that allow people to carry on college campuses?

This isn't a new concept.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: NOTurTypical

Ever wonder why people rarely ever walk into a police station and try to commit mass murder?

right back at ya....ever wonder why there is so much gun violence in a country where everyone can carry a gun ?

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   

right back at ya....ever wonder why there is so much gun violence in a country where everyone can carry a gun ?

Few errors:

1. Everyone cannot own a gun. The mentally ill, people with a restraining order, and convicted felons cannot own a gun. They oftentimes acquire them ILLEGALLY though. And no law you could possibly ever pass would prevent them from doing so. Just as how making drugs illegal doesn't prevent people from getting high who desire to.

2. There isn't much gun crime per capita.

3. Did you know violent gun crimes have been decreasing since 1990 even while gun sales are hitting all-time highs?

edit on 16-1-2015 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   

1. as there are more guns it is easier for criminals and those that are not allowed to get them....

2.there is more gun crime per capita than a country that has made guns illegal or at least harder to get

3.this may be the case but there is also a reason law enforcement are getting an itchy trigger finger and that would be because everyone they encounter could potentially be packing heat

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   

We allow concealed carry in schools in Utah. I am a student and carry daily to class. We have no school shootings.

Criminals don't want to shoot up a place where people are armed. You know, because people would shoot back.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   

1. as there are more guns it is easier for criminals and those that are not allowed to get them....

2.there is more gun crime per capita than a country that has made guns illegal or at least harder to get

3.this may be the case but there is also a reason law enforcement are getting an itchy trigger finger and that would be because everyone they encounter could potentially be packing heat

1: Criminals are going to get guns regardless, even if they are illegal. That's because criminals don't give a $^#^ about the law.

2: Yes, and there are more auto accidents in countries with cars than there are in Inuit tribes in the far north. Comparing rates of gun crime only gives a very distorted view of what happens to overall crime rates when you take guns from law abiding people.

3: No. In fact guns are less common than they were historically in the USA. Law enforcement is made up of individuals, and there are both good and bad individuals in nearly every organization. The vast majority of incidents where law enforcement discharge their weapons is for very good reason.

edit on 16-1-2015 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

Someone has girl troubles!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join