It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Cuts Off Ukraine Gas Supply To 6 European Countries

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+24 more 
posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Russia Cuts Off Ukraine Gas Supply To 6 European Countries

Vladimir Putin ordered the Russian state energy giant Gazprom to cut supplies to and through Ukraine amid accusations, according to The Daily Mail, that its neighbor has been siphoning off and stealing Russian gas. Due to these "transit risks for European consumers in the territory of Ukraine," Gazprom cut gas exports to Europe by 60%, plunging the continent into an energy crisis "within hours." Perhaps explaining the explosion higher in NatGas prices (and oil) today, gas companies in Ukraine confirmed that Russia had cut off supply; and six countries reported a complete shut-off of Russian gas. The EU raged that the sudden cut-off to some of its member countries was "completely unacceptable," but Gazprom CEO Alexey Miller later added that Russia plans to shift all its natural gas flows crossing Ukraine to a route via Turkey; and Russian Energy Minister Alexander Novak stated unequivocally, "the decision has been made."

Source

Remember what is in the American war resolutions from December ?

Russia is forbidden to disrupt energy supplies or it could face consequences.

And Russia “withholds significant natural gas supplies from countries such as Ukraine, Georgia, or Moldova” and NATO members.

Source

Time to make some popcorn and see who will be more pissed, the elite or the civilians.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Man oh man things are picking up quickly in 2015!

It was clear that Russia was going to do this, to be honest I am surprised that it has taken this long.

I wonder what the next chess piece to be moved shall be!

And to think they just had old Soros over for a visit in the Ukraine!

Source
edit on America/ChicagoWednesdayAmerica/Chicago01America/Chicago131pmWednesday7 by elementalgrove because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   
War is on the brink

The U.N. will have to guard the pipelines !!

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: elementalgrove
Man oh man things are picking up quickly in 2015!

It was clear that Russia was going to do this, to be honest I am surprised that it has taken this long.

I wonder what the next chess piece to be moved shall be!

Both Rooks will move at the same time.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: BornAgainAlien

Wow. I am going to follow how this one plays out. I agree with your assessment...this cannot bode well. Depending on the duration of this cut-off, I can only imagine irreparable damage will be done to the stability of those nations.

Perhaps the contingent plan with Turkey is already in the works and the duration of this cut off (in winter no less)will be quite short, we can only hope.

Think about those folks in Eastern Europe right now without power

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: elementalgrove

I have said earlier, "wake me up when Russia is going to cut gas to Europe before I would say their economy is in a bad shape."

It still could not be because of that, but this is a big move to do now...Europe has no answer to this whatsoever.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Especially when you take into account that throughout all of 2014 NATO had been building up in Eastern Europe!

It makes one wonder, we may not see what moves Russia/China are making militarily, however to assume that they have not put a strategy in place in response to such clear aggression would be a mistake!

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Exactly, that is what is truly worrysome, IMO this is what the military industrial complex has been hoping for, it puts Europe into a situation of needing war, while ahving the excuse that it is all Russias fault.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Meanwhile here in Britain we've got energy companies raping the public with abhorrent prices. This won't get any better.
edit on 14-1-2015 by Boeing777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: elementalgrove

I don`t see how they would be going into war with the limited military they have at the moment in Eastern Europe, and even with the almighty forces it would end in a exchange of tactical nuclear weapons very quickly.

If Russia doesn`t back down (and they haven`t done that in the past), Europe will either be getting hurt really badly or have to cave in.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
War is on the brink

The U.N. will have to guard the pipelines !!

Like Russia is going to let the UN come in and guard the main valve in Russia?

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boeing777
Meanwhile here in Britain we've got energy companies raping the public with abhorrent prices. This won't get any better.

That would be the least of your worries, the economy of the EU can`t function without Russian gas.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Putin Is Russian and playing Chess.

The West Is playing Checkers .
.................................../

British PM Is probably checking under the bad at his country Retreat Checkers.
At this Momment .

Along with all the other alleged democratic leaders of the west.

Where are my balls at?
Did I lose them under the bed .
Im checking hear Im checking there Im checking every where.

+25 more 
posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   
WTF did Europe think was going to happen???

The mighty US comes in laying sanction after sanction.

Russia warned the EU.

You go and poke the big Bear and they are wringing their hands blaming Russia for the problems.

Just WTF did they think would happen, how can they be so damn thick!

This is mid winter too.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you, or in this case, provided warmth to prevent you from freezing your butt off.

P

edit on 14/1/2015 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   

In all honesty, war lowers the human count. Gives more to go around. Its no surprise that our dying world economies are heading toward war yet again.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   

On a scale of 1-10 how bad is this?
(...we dont need gas right?... Just asking here before i go check out the sensationalistic BBC)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: funkadeliaaaa

There are Eastern Europe countries which will be hit pretty hard, but as far as I know the whole of Europe is going to suffer economically hard because there`s a lot of industry which uses lots of gas. 30% of the gas Europe uses comes from Russia. I will see if I can find some more about it.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: funkadeliaaaa

I`m going to search some more, but wiki already has some information about the last time (15days)...

On January 2, a day after Russia cut off gas supplies to Ukraine, Hungary, Romania and Poland were the first countries to report that pressure in their pipelines had fallen. Bulgaria reported that their supply was also falling and that transit to Turkey, Greece and Macedonia was affected. Two days later the Czech Republic and Turkey reported drops in pipeline pressure. Starting on January 7, several countries began to report a significant drop in gas supplies from Russia. Throughout the crisis many countries were unprepared and had been left without supplies for days, leading to significant economic and humanitarian consequences; Bulgaria was forced to stop production in some of its important industrial plants, while one country, Slovakia, declared a state of emergency.The most severely effected countries were in Southeastern Europe, most of which rely completely on Russia for gas and at the time didn't have sufficient alternative energy sources. However North-West Europe wasn't much effected by the cutoff and none of Europe's major markets came close to cutting off customers. Many European countries had made investments since the 2006 crisis which put them in a better position.

Source

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: funkadeliaaaa

On a scale of 1-10 how bad is this?
(...we dont need gas right?... Just asking here before i go check out the sensationalistic BBC)

Europe are quite dependent on Russian Gas

source

Ahh well, Europe can just buy cheap oil now...

edit on 14/1/2015 by kloejen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join