It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GW Murders the Environment Again

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Are you aware of a new dvice that is based on direct convertion (actually collection) of electricity from capturing free electron volts? There is no heavy sheilding. Containment is a magnetic field of superconductors from hybrid carbon "wires". The same "wire" collects the electron volts from the critical mass of the "reactor". As the reaction increases the magnectic field strengthens. In theory 1 pound of plutonium can produce several thousand mW of power.

E_T

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   
If you mean nuclear fission shielding is necessary, neutron radiation doesn't care much about electric/magnetic fields.
And superconductors exactly won't work in room temperature.

PS. Original power production rate of RTGs in Voyagers was ~470 000 mW.

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 10:50 AM
link   
MURDER of the environment is impossible.

People can harm the environment.
People can help the environment.

Murder ... NOPE.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by E_T

Originally posted by TJ11240
What would happen if a terrorist got their hands on spent nuclear fuel? NOTHING! Its called spent for a reason!
Actually it would be material for dirty bomb. Or you wouldn't even need bomb to distribute it, just put it to water sources or something like that.
Spent doesn't mean its safe... nuclear waste is radioactive thousands years. Otherwise nuclear power would be really good alternative for fossil fuels.

Thats always a possiblily, but I was referring to the ability to turn it into a bomb. Why re-enrich the material when you can purchase a shiny new one from N. Korea?

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by E_T
If you mean nuclear fission shielding is necessary, neutron radiation doesn't care much about electric/magnetic fields.

Sorry E_T but a thin Boron shield take care of the neutrons and superconductors are close to room temp these days.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Man there is alot of broad sweeping judgments in this thread...

Originally posted by DrHoracid

Originally posted by E_T

Sorry E_T but a thin Boron shield take care of the neutrons and superconductors are close to room temp these days.

But you said it would require no shielding. Boron shielding is still shielding, and it can fail. BTW We can destroy our biosphere right now, all it would take would be to detonate all the nukes on earth at strategic points(ie fault lines, volcanoes, close to the coast underwater to creat tsunamis of biblical proportions) As for damaging the environment with our current addiction to Black Gold, we gotta get off it soon. Heck even Bush realizes this allthough he wants it done in a way so his buddies in the Oil industry will profit either way.

superconductors are close to room temp these days.

According to who...you?
Please provide links and do not state facts you may or may not be able to back up. From all I have read about Room Temp Superconductors is that they are either Impossible, or far beyond us at this point. Carbon Nanotubes have been proposed as a potential material in which Room-Temp Superconduction may be possible, allthough it is theoretical and I have not heard of any peer-reviewed study that has showed it is possible. I have read some interesting theories but thats all they are theories.

[edit on 16-12-2004 by sardion2000]

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 06:12 AM
link   
High temp super conductors

www.ornl.gov...

[edit on 17-12-2004 by DrHoracid]

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 06:27 AM
link   
My brother went visiting a few of the nuclear plants looking for a job about 15 or so years ago, he said the way they were run was scary and wouldn't work in them....so he went back into the Navy instead. Nine Mile is build on a fault, and well, maybe things have changed but I think there is probably still room from improvement when it comes to safety issues. But, well, I was reading about a year ago some of the high ranking environmental activists were beginning to call for use to use nuclear more. The lesser of two evils I guess. But, well, it should tell you something about how big a threat they feel that the greenhouse gases are causing.

On a side note, did anyone see the newscaste a few weeks ago about the kid that brought the gyroscope power generate to the schience fair. It's designed to generate power from waves.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Look the cleanest, most environmentaly safe power production is Fuel Cells. Not Nukes, No fossile fuel "burning". Natural Gas Fuel Cells that provide electricity AND hydrogen for outside use is available NOW. Each home and car could be equiped. No more power lines or gas stations. Power your home, fuel your car from the same "box".

E_T

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
High temp super conductors

www.ornl.gov...

Oak Ridge National Laboratory is helping to make the dream of high-temperature (from 20 K up to 135 K) superconductivity a reality.
ROTF
Well... maybe if you call -140 C (~ -220 F) as warm.

Sorry to spoil your fun but 0 K is about -273 C and one degree is equal in both scales...

en.wikipedia.org...
www.convert-me.com...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join