It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I could really use a little spiritual guidance

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I didn't know where to post this so I put it in general. If it should be moved please do so.

I have a problem. What I don't want is to get into any religious debates or have anyone insulting anyone or anything, including me. With that said, I'll continue. I'm a Christian by faith, maybe slightly gnostic with a little new age weirdness thrown in, but not much. I say Christian because I've read most of the Bible, it's my preferred spiritual book, and I've learned alot from it. I was also raised loosely to be Christian.

To expound a little, I think Jesus is great. He acts almost as a role model for me, not literally, but when it comes to dealings with people. I try to think in a selfless way (like Jesus would have) and I let it guide my overall personality. I try to relate on a personal human level with Jesus as he was when he was in the flesh on the Earth.

However, despite all of this, in my heart of hearts sometimes it truly feels like we humans are no different from insects in the sense that when we get squashed, we're just gone. That there's no true afterlife of any kind and that when we die we just cease to be, like we were before we were ever born. You can't remember back then because it didn't exist, just like the future won't exist when you finally die. Almost like going to sleep without the dreaming, forever.

Now that I've admitted this, I can say it truly makes me feel terrible. On one hand I find myself thinking of things that make me believe with certainty that there has to be a God and more to our existence than mere chance anomaly, that somehow some of the religious spiritual teachings of mankind are true. On the other hand I become filled with doubt and think that there's nothing, and it gets really hard to shake. Sometimes I shake it, but then end up feeling like I psyched myself out and was being a little loopy to begin with.

Then I think, if there really is a God (see?), which there very well may be, he must look at/think of me not the highest, here I am doubting like Thomas, except worse. This makes me feel kind of damned even when I do get peace in the thought of God existing. I truly hope for my sake and everyone else's that God is real, and my normal disposition is that God is real. I've argued for his existence on several occasions. I feel that without the Bible ever existing, without something equal or better in its' place, that people would be evil continuously and that there'd hardly be any morality in the world at all. I believe Jesus existed, and did/said what was written.

I don't know what to do about my two sidedness.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I'm not really a religious person, but my advice would be to continue to believe what you believe, but live every day like it's your last.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: r0xor

I try to think in a selfless way (like Jesus would have) and I let it guide my overall personality. I try to relate on a personal human level with Jesus as he was when he was in the flesh on the Earth.

Thats beautiful. Like you, I have no doubt thats the most important message we can take from the example Jesus set. Setting that example for others is the best thing we can do to transmit that message to others. It is all that is required of us.

Don't ever let your faith in that simple wisdom sway you from that path. You'll be fine. Here and in the after life.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   

I would say that I believe much as you do, but left the catholic church early in life because it's members didn't jibe with the way the bible taught. To much hypocrisy. So I left the church, but didn't lose my faith and I question it every day.

But when it comes to an afterlife? I rarely even think about it. Namely because I'll find out when the time comes.

And I wholeheartedly agree with Daas!

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Hi there.

Don't beat yourself up over it. Even Jesus had His moment of doubt; "My God, why have you forsaken me?".

I guess all we have to go on is what Jesus said that He would have told us so if there was nothing after.

As for the insects, well we read in the Bible what God spoke about that;

"Do not fear, you worm Jacob, you men of Israel; I will help you," declares the LORD, ... Fear thou not, for I am with thee: not only within call, but present with thee." Isaiah 41:14.

I've read so much the words of so many men and humble Jesus wipes the floor with every one of them. He is a wonderful role model.

Doubts will haunt us through our whole lives. It is a question of faith. I have not been able to find a better Way than this.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Reading your post I cant say I can put a finger on what you are actually looking for ,or where you may be at this time in your faith .After we become spiritually borne again two things start to happen . 1 we start to grow and mature .2 we enter into a spiritual battle .The war was won on the cross but the small and big battles we face helps us grow stronger in the faith . The word of God is sword of truth and is required in defeating the enemy . You may have some teachers that are not well equipped themselves and may not be able to help you . That was my experience and so I began my search . There are good teachers on the web and Chuck Missler , Chris White ,Micheal Heiser are only a few of the good ones . They have lots in vid forms on YT .along with pod casts .
this site firefighters.org... you might want to book mark and check out .I have found lots of helps for my Christian faith and one series of vids on youtube I think is a must watch to get a larger historical perspective of what we are actually up against . www.youtube.com... Best of luck to you and take care . a reply to: r0xor

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

I feel that without the Bible ever existing, without something equal or better in its' place, that people would be evil continuously and that there'd hardly be any morality in the world at all. I believe Jesus existed, and did/said what was written.

I wanted to address this first. What we frequently refer to as morals and ethics, are a societal construct. Not a religious construct, except to the degree that religion has influenced those constructs.
Morals and ethics are agreements made by a group so that they can live and work together toward the survival of said group. These "agreements" existed long before religion(the bible and others), and will exist long after religion has died.
Is there a god? If you need an entity referred to as "god" to exist, then there is a god for you. In my opinion only, there is no god/goddess. Though I would not rule out the possibility of a creator(s). Though that creator(s) could come in several forms. Flesh and blood, spirit, consciousness, and so on. I'm of the mind, I don't care if there is or isn't, but like most, I want the truth, whether I like it or don't like it.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   

You seem to be plagued with religious doubt and are feeling guilty because of that doubt. You already seem to live "right," but are yet troubled. Frankly, I think you are a good place from where you can strive to make your own way.

Living your life for promised rewards in an afterlife is not a healthy way to proceed through life if you have any true character. Live for today (and tomorrow) according to what you hold as your personal values and any afterlife will welcome you. --And if it turns out at lights out that there isn't any afterlife, then you lived your life as if there was. You can hardly ask for anything better.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
You described my feelings better than I could have. So, for me, when I have doubts about the whole God thing, I remember that I just choose to believe, because it makes me feel better. A certain amount of depression settles over me when I let myself doubt in a higher power. It might be a crutch or whatever, but I really want to believe there is a God that "provides" for his children. So, I pray to the Hebrew Yeshua. Because there are many masters or Teachers, but I follow Jesus because I have deep Christian roots. So, it wouldnt make sense for me to worship any other master.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Like the song goes..."the less I seek the source for some definitive, the closer I am to fine..."

Sometimes we can dwell on things too much, over think it. Really we just need to live each day in our best way and try to bring good to the world.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   

here I am doubting like Thomas

I think doubting is a sign of critical thinking skill. I'd rather doubt, and find evidence and data, than just blindly accept
something. I think Thomas demonstrates that perfectly. Thomas was the one who got to actually touch Chrit's wounds as proof that he wasn't being deceived.

Like you, I've felt almost despondent before when thinking there's nothing out there. When we die, it's over.
But something always seemed to say that isn't the case. Call it an intuition or my higher self.

There have been wise people who've said that the best philosophy regarding life is to do your best, then let go.
Over thinking the "why are we here" and "what's after this" can drive a person bonkers.

Best of luck in your spiritual quest!

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Christians are not called to a blind faith. In fact, 1 peter 3:15 instructs us to be prepared to give reason for the hope that we have (and to share that reason, when asked, with respect and gentleness!)

I think it is a positive sign of your spiritual maturity that you are asking questions and examining your doubt.

Continue on this path and trust that God reveals himself to those who seek him with an open heart (and mind)!

You might enjoy reading some christian apologetics. A classic is Mere Christianity by CS Lewis. Reasonable Faith is a robust ministry by William Lane Craig (www.reasonablefaith.org). I enjoyed his book "on Guard"

Don't fear your doubt and questions, my friend. pursue them!

(Sorry for typos , I'm on a phone!)
edit on 8-1-2015 by VegHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

I understand your battle and it is a common one. I am not judging you but maybe a little guidance or something to meditate on:

Don't let your thoughts confuse you - this is called double mindedness - this will always bring doubt. The first step in falling away from the truth. Everyone from time to time gets caught up in this but do not dwell on it.... move pass it otherwise you will walk away from your faith. Free will.

Your faith needs recharging

Have you possibly forgotten what faith is?

Faith is believing in what is true. Faith has two elements: 1) being convinced of the truth, being certain of reality, having evidence of unseen things, and 2) believing, hoping in, embracing, seizing the truth.

Heb 11:1 (KJV) Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

So we Christians HOPE and PRAY that we will be delivered and saved from destruction (and protected from evil) because of the faith we have in Yahweh, Yeshuah, and God's Holy Spirit.

The next step is waiting and being patient while keeping your Christian faith. Now here is the test! Not an easy thing to do. Can you be patient and wait for the Lord .... even if death comes first? Live a "Christ like" life and wait ..... because if you can..... you have shown faith. Many die and never the see the Lord while alive BUT their are many that do! Here is where Christian maturity comes into play.

You need to grow into your faith. It is obvious you do not attend the church. Some need the church ... others don't. Those of little faith or those with doubts need to attend bible studies and be around those who share the same faith....... Church. You need to find one - it will strengthen your faith. Good luck in finding a good church. It may take awhile. You will know when you find it - the Holy Spirit will be present and you will feel it.

A Christian is someone who believes in God the father, Jesus (Yeshua), son of God who died and was resurrected back to life on the third day. Someone who partakes in the Eucharist on a regular basis. Someone who does not doubt the existence of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit even when threatened with death. Daily communication through prayer with the Father, Son and Holy Ghost.

So are you a Christian?

Have you been baptized?

Have you ever fasted? Get the book Fasting and Prayer by Steven Brooks. Read through it and try to follow his guidance and the Lord will come to you.

edit on 8-1-2015 by DeathSlayer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
May i suggest that you read the Bhagavad Gita? It helped me alot on my search for knowledge and peace

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   

My advice is to develop your spirituality and drop the religion.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I pray every day.

You need to learn to stop struggling and leave it all in His hands. Ask Him to take your hand and walk you along the path; I know He never left you just like He never really leaves any of us, but sometimes, it's good to ask Him to make Himself known. If you are patient and open and quiet at heart, you should hear or feel Him. I often do or at least I think I do and that's what matters for me.

I figure that Heaven will take care of itself. If I am meant to be there, then I will be there. Only God knows, and only He can judge that. All I can do is take care of my life in the here and now and make it the best one I can for myself and for those around me.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
These "agreements" existed long before religion(the bible and others), and will exist long after religion has died.

I agree with that. I should've said that in the current western modern society many of us live in. There's so many evil people and it's so cut-throat. The thing is, alot of those people are simple people and do what they do to get by. Even in the back of their minds, many were probably raised with the idea of God, and I'd like to think it stops them from outright pure unbridled evil, but more of a controlled, guilty, 'neccesary' evil.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

You may have some teachers that are not well equipped themselves and may not be able to help you . That was my experience and so I began my search . There are good teachers on the web and Chuck Missler , Chris White ,Micheal Heiser are only a few of the good ones .[/post]

I don't really have any teachers, I've learned most of what I know from picking through material on the internet for several years, along with some reading of actual paper.
edit on 1/8/2015 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   

I think you already know what the problem is: you doubt.

Maybe instead of thinking of reality as a physical place where spiritual things sometimes happen, think of all of reality as a spiritual place wherein some of the spiritual things have images/physical appearances and some don't.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bleeeeep

Maybe instead of thinking of reality as a physical place where spiritual things sometimes happen, think of all of reality as a spiritual place wherein some of the spiritual things have images/physical appearances and some don't.

I want to do that, but I've been told that I'm weird my entire life by friends, family, even my girlfriends, so I have this personal issue with believing in certain stuff. I don't want to 'let myself go delusional' or crazy if you will.

If the bar is set by the median or average, so many people seem so simple, half the time I feel like an extreme minority for even mulling over the # that I do in my mind on my spare time. Admittedly I'm trying to fit in and get by so to speak so that I'm not alienated, so shouldn't I take an extra guarded, even skeptical approach? I've been told I'm easily impressionable, and although I don't like it, it does seem true.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join