It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harvard WTF?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Just giving the facts.

Harvard's endowment is at $36 billion. If they generated just a 10% ROI (their 40-year historical ROI) on this money, that would be $3.6 billion per year.

They could finance the tuition of 3,000 students at $1,2 million per year for all eternity and STILL have $36 billion in the bank. That's full tuition, room, food, and a Mercedes and BMW, and a condo in Vermont to go skiing on winter break.

Instead, they charge students about $60,000 a year and send them into the world with $100k in student debt.

But wait... it gets better....

Harvard got $656 million in Federal funding in 2012, and protested, and defeated, a proposed reduction in funding.

And wait... it gets even better....

Harvard has tax exempt status.

Basically, Harvard is a tax-exempt hedge fund fronting as a University.

Source

www.hmc.harvard.edu...

Of course, Harvard grads like Obama and Harvard professor Elizabeth Warren demonize greedy corporations, and their loyal and misguided followers get the torches and pitchforks ready.

Let this sink in.

$36 BILLION endowment.

Tax exempt.

$656 million in Federal funding from our tax money GIVEN to Harvard, not loaned.

But hey, they're good guys because 47% of their students' ethnicity is not European and they are zealously politically correct.

During the next election when you hear people talk about corporate welfare, remember Harvard, and the word "hypocrisy."

No wonder they desperately try not to offend anybody.

edit on 3-1-2015 by Jamie1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   
This is better from you Jamie...
Definitely worth a Star & Flag.

That's a hell of a lot of money in the coughers.

What the hell would they need that much money for exactly?

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
This is better from you Jamie...
Definitely worth a Star & Flag.

That's a hell of a lot of money in the coughers.

What the hell would they need that much money for exactly?

Thanks.

They've turned into the equivalent of a tax exempt hedge fund.

Nothing illegal. Maybe unethical depending on your viewpoint.

Definitely not polite to talk about in politically correct circles.

Now you know why the government took over the student loan business. Harvard IS the government.

Who do you think started the U.S.A.?

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Cause this is America and cash rules everything.

School is big money.

Jamie do you want to have the conversation on tuition at schools and what they could do to lower them or is this just about warren and barry?

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

tax exempt

Those two words are a pleasure to the Devils.

Now it makes sense.

Student Loan Sharking is the educational equivalent of Big Pharma.
# them.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

It truly is the Land of Opportunity.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Hi OP. Just so you know, your first link brings me to an error page.

However if what you say is correct, then there is plenty for people to be upset about. My kids are still paying off student loans and I share your outrage that deserving children should be penalized with such loans while the institution itself is reaping and reaping at the expense of taxpayers.

I wonder how many other universities exist with such a scheme?

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1
Just giving the facts.

Harvard's endowment is at $36 billion. If they generated just a 10% ROI (their 40-year historical ROI) on this money, that would be $3.6 billion per year.

They could finance the tuition of 3,000 students at $1,2 million per year for all eternity and STILL have $36 billion in the bank. That's full tuition, room, food, and a Mercedes and BMW, and a condo in Vermont to go skiing on winter break.

Instead, they charge students about $60,000 a year and send them into the world with $100k in student debt.

But wait... it gets better....

Harvard got $656 million in Federal funding in 2012, and protested, and defeated, a proposed reduction in funding.

And wait... it gets even better....

Harvard has tax exempt status.

Basically, Harvard is a tax-exempt hedge fund fronting as a University.

www.bostonglobe.com... T0Mc8MQZihFVNs5gNK/story.html

www.hmc.harvard.edu...

Of course, Harvard grads like Obama and Harvard professor Elizabeth Warren demonize greedy corporations, and their loyal and misguided followers get the torches and pitchforks ready.

Let this sink in.

$36 BILLION endowment.

Tax exempt.

$656 million in Federal funding from our tax money GIVEN to Harvard, not loaned.

But hey, they're good guys because 47% of their students' ethnicity is not European and they are zealously politically correct.

During the next election when you hear people talk about corporate welfare, remember Harvard, and the word "hypocrisy."

No wonder they desperately try not to offend anybody.

The University of xxxxxxx is the same and I would bet they have just as many skeletons in their closets. As you say, huge tuitions and costs resulting in equally huge student loans for young adults between 18 and 30 who are going into a 48% unemployment situation with a 50k to 250k debt hanging over their heads. Canada is just as bad as the US in this department. Saying more than that might breach our injunctions. We do have to protect the innocent and even more so, shield the guilty in government, banks and the "higher" education system, right ;-)

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Cause this is America and cash rules everything.

School is big money.

Jamie do you want to have the conversation on tuition at schools and what they could do to lower them or is this just about warren and barry?

Harvard could pay the tuition of every student for the rest of time and still make $1 billion a year from their endowment. Not sure what else they would need to do.

It's not just about Obama, et al. It's about Bush, Kerry, Clinton, you name them. It's a ruling class that controls the media, education, banks, and government. They've partnered with corporations and unions, and anybody else who will help them perpetuate the status quo.

Not saying it's good or bad. It is what it is.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: aboutface
Hi OP. Just so you know, your first link brings me to an error page.

However if what you say is correct, then there is plenty for people to be upset about. My kids are still paying off student loans and I share your outrage that deserving children should be penalized with such loans while the institution itself is reaping and reaping at the expense of taxpayers.

I wonder how many other universities exist with such a scheme?

Sorry, fixed now. It's a long ass link!!

Almost all private universities have large endowments. I think Yale's is $23 billion or so.

To me the worst part of the scheme is they're getting Federal money AND not paying any taxes. Plus, they're overcharging on tuition.

It's fu$#ed up.

Estates are taxed at 50%. Harvard gets to keep all their profits in perpetuity and still gets Federal cash grants. Totall bullsh!t. Maybe that should be NLBS #31.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Well shoot we can agree almost entirely in this thought.

I would say it is a very bad thing, so that is where the almost comes in.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
The tuition fees are probably tiered, advantage probably not American per se. Some sympathy with the OP. As for student loans,

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   

When you put it that way... it's not all that different than the church, is it?

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Isn't it amazing? The bastion of liberalism doesn't even practice what they preach. Where's the redistribution of wealth? How about give back some of those profits earned from investing the endowment. If I recall correctly, the portfolio manager of the endowment was making like $50 million a year.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   
We can label the rulers of academia anyway we want. In the end they are of the same ilk as Wall Street and they don't care what we call them.

Enough is never enough. Cash flow has to be on a positive trajectory, always gaining. The corporation/university has to be always expanding and consolidating the competition.

The quality of education? They are as concerned about that as fast food conglomerates are concerned about the nutrition in their food. A hamburger or a piece of paper, all just means to an end.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
Isn't it amazing? The bastion of liberalism doesn't even practice what they preach. Where's the redistribution of wealth? How about give back some of those profits earned from investing the endowment. If I recall correctly, the portfolio manager of the endowment was making like $50 million a year.

It will be fun to watch Elizabeth Warren continue to attack Wall St. while staying silent about Harvard.

I don't know how much the Harvard portfolio manager makes. Typically it would be about 1% of the assets under management if it was a private fund. That would be $360 million a year, so $50 million is not unreasonable.

Where the real money is being made is by the firms who get the money allocated to them by Harvard. This is where the old boy's network comes into play. There are a small handful of elite, connected people making a lot of money from that $36 billion every year.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 12:31 AM
link   
As an amateur conspiracy theorist I'm sure most of the high tuition is for behavior modification.

High tuition gives the University a means to select who will attend, and a means of coercion once the education process has begun.

Similarly, the degree has become a screening mechanism for employment. To get the high paying entry level career job, whatever it is, the job seeker must first undergo several years of indoctrination.

If college was only about knowledge, every job would require passing an examination, and perhaps a background check--and nothing more.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Good contribution, thank you. One has to wonder what their plans are for all this money.

These educational 'institutions' are transforming themselves into education busiensses funded by corporate welfare and their own private tax at an alarming rate, all over the world. _javascript:icon('
')
edit on 4-1-2015 by learnatic because: typo

edit on 4-1-2015 by learnatic because: typo

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1
Not saying it's good or bad. It is what it is.

Okay I'll say it, it's bad. Education which should be a basic human right is a business, exploiting students into debt slavery.

The university degree system was deliberately set up to keep the wealthy in power positions. Impoverished people were told they needed a degree to get the rank, which of course, required expensive courses.

7 countries where foreigners can study tuition free
Oh look its my country, and by coincidence, we just happen to be consistently ranked Number One

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   
And yet you see more and more free online courses from universities and websites like Coursera. There is a way out, educate yourself OR study abroad like I did. My classes in Civil Engineering, which is the same # anywhere, was $100 a class and that was the most expensive uni!
ETA I have a friend who payed his way through that same uni by tutoring in maths and physics!
edit on 4-1-2015 by Emeraldous because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join