It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ALL MEMBERS: Important Notice On Creating Threads - STOP THE MADNESS!!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Do you know what my number-one pet peeve with some new threads might be?

No? Well, I'll tell you.

It's threads that begin with something like this: "Mods, I searched and couldn't find if this was already posted, or even if I posted this in the right forum, so please feel free to move it or something."

Actually, I cringe and and my hands compulsively reach for the keyboard in a turrets-like spasm with a overwhelming urge to move the thread to the trash.

The most important thing to making your threads matter is that first sentence. It's what search engines index. It's what readers first see. And that type of thread-opener makes no sense.

The easiest way to see if your thread might be a repeat of what's been recently posted is to click the new button in the main menu. It delivers a chronologically sorted list of new threads.

But if you must put that type of "PSA" message in your opening post -- please put it at end of your post. Mrs. Overlord will thank you.

edit on 31-1-2015 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
But, are you certain this topic hasn't already been posted?

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
'Mods; I have vomited words all over this thread but have not checked to see if there is similar vomit already posted, nor have I bothered to decide which forum my vomit would best suit. As I have taken the time to share my precious vomit with you I now ask if YOU could perform these basic tasks for me.

However, I must make it clear that if you do deem my thread a duplicate and remove it or if you put my thread in a forum I happen to disagree with, I will bitch and moan.

In the event of my making another thread in which to bitch and moan about the unfair treatment of my original thread please note that my original statement above regarding Mods performing basic tasks also qualifies for this addition thread also.

Yours sincerely,

Annoying Member.'

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
It does bother a bit if you look at new its a quick 30sec scroll problem solved.. the laziness on ats has grown thats people skep that just want to throw more responsibilitys on the mods...

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I think the thread above maybe sarcasm

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 29-12-2014 by Denoli because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

THANK YOU! I always have to bite my tongue when I see these little announcements. It makes it look like the OP is just throwing crap at the wall hoping something will stick or they are too lazy to use the search. I mostly attribute it to newer members and just let it go. But damn is it annoying.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
This gets me too, and as if the mods need permission to do anything with the thread to begin with.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

On the upside, I just Googled "Mods, I searched and couldn't find if this was already posted, or even if I posted this in the right forum, so please feel free to move it or something" and ATS is in the number one spot.

How's that for stellar SEO?

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Hey skep what if anyone that starts a thread like that the mods close it asap kinda start teaching lessons

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
hahaha i randomly thought this would be a great rule today when I read a couple of threads with those eyebleeders. great minds... great minds...

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Has anyone thought it might be code to identify members of the secret societies? Like, "I have been a lurker here…" posts in the intro threads.

Both simultaneously irk and puzzle me. its the puzzle part I want an answer to.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Mods, I searched and couldn't find if this was already posted, or even if I posted this in the right forum, so please feel free to move it or something." 

I agree, most of the time I just roll to the next thread. It makes me fell the same way as "I'm from America and I'm here to help!!" My belly kind of turns.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
So Skeptic is your first name then?
What is equally annoying is the thread subject having not just one but several previous threads that pop right up when you do a search. I did a search just now using the phrase
" Mods I searched but didn't find anything" and I got hundreds of possibilities to choose from. . reply to: SkepticOverlord

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   

edit on 29-12-2014 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Wow talk about self centered, I think people do it because they are being genuine, but thanks for bringing it to light that it pisses you off.

What grinds my gears is ATS is spammed with NLBS but i don't start a thread about it.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I see the same thing and think the same thing exactly...

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Sounds like sound advice, that opener for a thread just plain sucks, really puts the reader off.

As mentioned above, the "I've been lurking for 30 years just decided to join" kinda suck too. Who cares? Why didn't you just join? It's not like it costs money. Sheesh

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
THANK YOU!

I have a sinking feeling that now anytime someone does that the first page of every thread is going to be people complaining about the mod disclaimer though.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I understand why people find the opening irritating, but I don't think it's laziness.
I think it's "I'm afraid of doing the wrong thing" rejection anxiety.
The same could be said of another popular opening, "This is my first thread".
The writers need to muster the confidence that having a thread moved to a different forum or even closed as a duplicate won't count as a "black mark" against their names.
In the words of the old story, "Be bold, be bold (but not too bold)".

P.S. And that point about being findable on Google is well worth considering. Even now, if you google "Silence in heaven", my five-year old thread on the topic can be found on the first page of results. There is a readership out there.
edit on 29-12-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I have seen it so many times I had come to imagine it as a standard boiler plate for threads here .who would have thunkin .

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join