It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio shopper shoots teen dead outside mall for trying to steal newly bought Nike Air Jordans

page: 51
<< 48  49  50    52 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

originally posted by: DrJunk

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

The likelihood that you will shoot yourself or a member of your family with a gun is greater than the likelihood of your saving them from a criminal.

Since I have no intention of committing suicide, a criminal act or cleaning my firearms while loaded (the leading causes in your link) I think the likelihood is that I will not be injured by my own weapons.

And yet, the likelihood that you will is still greater than the likelihood that you will save your family from a criminal.

Rectal extraction of false probability argument to justify limiting how one can protect oneself.

It is 100x more likely you'll be killed in a car accident than murdered by a gun. Should we ban cars?

Please cite your source, as I have cited mine, or your claim means nothing.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eunuchorn
This is a very stupid statistic to argue about.

I agree. It is a very cut and dried piece of computing that speaks for itself, yet people will not heed it's advice and drop their precious guns because they need them to protect themselves from people that less likely to kill them than they are.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
(off-topic)
Now I don't wanna hear you two gettin' all "huckleberry" on is here.

I would like to add a thanks for a great final thread of the year for me. Great discussion, thoughts and opinions from both sides were clearly stated, and (for the most part) kept civil for over 50 pages.

Cheers and Happy New year to all...
edit on 12/31/2014 by Krakatoa because: Fixed spelling and other fat-finger errors

(post by Eunuchorn removed for a manners violation)

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

The likelihood that you will shoot yourself or a member of your family with a gun is greater than the likelihood of your saving them from a criminal.

Since I have no intention of committing suicide, a criminal act or cleaning my firearms while loaded (the leading causes in your link) I think the likelihood is that I will not be injured by my own weapons.

And yet, the likelihood that you will is still greater than the likelihood that you will save your family from a criminal.

Rectal extraction of false probability argument to justify limiting how one can protect oneself.

It is 100x more likely you'll be killed in a car accident than murdered by a gun. Should we ban cars?

Please cite your source, as I have cited mine, or your claim means nothing.

1,2400,000 deaths by car per year. How many are killed by guns? Shall we outlaw cars now?

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   

This is a very stupid statistic to argue about.

I agree. It is a very cut and dried piece of computing that speaks for itself, yet people will not heed it's advice and drop their precious guns because they need them to protect themselves from people that less likely to kill them than they are.

It's cut and dried factual data that you are far more likely to die when you get into a car, but people will not heed this advice and drop their precious cars which are far more likely to kill them than guns.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   

1,2400,000 deaths by car per year. How many are killed by guns? Shall we outlaw cars now?

From your own source:

36,116 road fatalities in the United States in 2012.

Now for gun deaths:

32,163 gun fatalities in the United States in 2011.

www.gunpolicy.org...

If the current trend continues, guns will overtake cars in 2015.
edit on 31-12-2014 by DrJunk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   

From your own source:

36,116 road fatalities in the United States in 2012.

Now for gun deaths:

32,163 gun fatalities in the United States in 2011.

www.gunpolicy.org...

If the current trend continues, guns will overtake cars in 2015.

From this source, there are 3 homicides per 100,000 people in the U.S.

Total murders and non-negligent manslaughter in the U.S. - !4,748 in 2010 according to the FBI.

That's total murders and manslaughter of all types, not just from guns.

FBI

So do you want to ban cars or not? Many more people around the world die from car accidents than gun accidents.
edit on 31-12-2014 by Jamie1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

Keep reaching. You make less sense with each post.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Keep reaching. You make less sense with each post.

I've shown your deaths by gun stats is false and the best you can come up with is that I'm reaching?

Deaths by cars FAR outnumber deaths by guns. Would you like to ban cars?

Guns are tools. So are cars. Why should anybody forbid me from owning or using either?

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   

I'm sorry. I can't take you seriously anymore.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Dr.Junk, this thread stopped taking you seriously a long time ago.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Dr.Junk, this thread stopped taking you seriously a long time ago.

You alone are not this thread, so speak for yourself. I take him seriously and enjoy reading his posts.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: th2356

So you really think personal gun ownership should be abandoned because of the low chance someone might accidentally hurt themself or a family member or need to protect themselves or their family against an outside threat?

Both of these reasonings seem pretty stupid. Continue voting.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Eunuchorn

Of course I will continue voting. I don't live in the US, I live in Norway, so my vote actually counts for something.

And we do very good here without arming ourselves to go to the store, thanks. We don't live in constant fear like so many Americans seem to do.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
The human existence is truly pitiful, puny, & pathetic. Voting doesn't exist. Anywhere.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: th2356
a reply to: Eunuchorn

Of course I will continue voting. I don't live in the US, I live in Norway, so my vote actually counts for something.

And we do very good here without arming ourselves to go to the store, thanks. We don't live in constant fear like so many Americans seem to do.

Norway? You mean where one of the largest mass shootings in history took place?

Maybe you should think about protecting yourself.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Don't worry about us, we're doing just fine without an armed and paranoid population. Two gun related homicides in total in 2013, one of them was a hunting accident.

You can look at the murder stats for 2013 here, try Google translate:

www.politi.no...

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: th2356

Don't worry about us, we're doing just fine without an armed and paranoid population. Two gun related homicides in total in 2013, one of them was a hunting accident.

You can look at the murder stats for 2013 here, try Google translate:

www.politi.no...

I've visited Norway many times and love it.

Maybe you should visit the U.S. before making racist comments about the entire population.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   

I've visited Norway many times and love it.

Maybe you should visit the U.S. before making racist comments about the entire population.

I've looked over the post a few times and I can't seem to find the racist comments, and you KNOW I get offended over racist comments... so, would you care to point it out?

top topics

<< 48  49  50    52 >>

join