It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's Over - Congress Quietly Ends Federal Government's Ban on Medical Marijuana

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
This is Ground breaking......This is a wonderful Christmas present, now all the other states that were worried about Federal retribution vs states laws can now sit down and seriously consider passing medical MJ laws in their respective states. The main thing here that makes me happy is now hopefully more children with aliments like that "Charlotte's Web" girl that was having like 300+ seizures a month!! That's no quality of life for anyone especially a toddler at the time when I first saw that documentary it was heart-breaking to me to see a child suffering like that..... No medicines helped her really and some almost killed her, then her family gave up on Modern Med and took a leap of faith hoping maybe MJ could help as there were no other opinions. They found some CBD rich plant through these awesome brothers in Colorado with huge hearts(God bless you guys for helping that girl and so many more) and now that girl has less than 1-6 a month and can talk, eat normally(before she had to be feed with feeding tubes) and play like any other normal child now. After that documentary and allot of research it became clear MJ really does have many benefits health-wise, food,clothing,paper,rope,building materials, etc it truly is a amazing plant and healing and changing lives daily. I look forward to more states passing MMJ laws now and hopefully many people can be helped young and old and that is touching especially in an era controlled by pills that don't really cure root causes but mask symptoms of the aliment and in most cases have many side-effects....Is that not crazy. Pills kill globally daily and I've never heard of anyone dying on MJ overdose even to ancient times......Thank you D.C. for at least something I hope you guys get two extra strippers this weekend for passing this article.

Now I have a question, how long til it's not schedule 1 now:
Schedule 1 means no health/medical benefits but now that can't stand if appealed as this article above now proves health/medical benefits of said plant. As wording in bill even states "states with medical marijuana laws" which now admits"states that pass these laws admit medical benefits of MJ" so that in turn shows admittance at a Govt level of medical benefits of MJ now so schedule 1 should be erroneous now. What do you guys think and merry Christmas to all!!!

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I would almost believe that it would have to be declassified as a schedule 1 drug now.

Would this mean that now individual states that want to keep it criminal would have to foot the bill on it wouldn't they?
Kinda forcing the hand of the states isn't it?

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: shaneslaughta

Would this mean that now individual states that want to keep it criminal would have to foot the bill on it wouldn't they?
Kinda forcing the hand of the states isn't it?

That would be financial suicide for the most part, and watch neighboring states rake in 100's of millions of dollars.

I'm sure that would go over real well with the tax payers.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

That was my point entirely. If they do in fact decrim on the federal level then it would leave them no recourse but to follow suit without big brother to pay the way.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
a reply to: shaneslaughta

Oh god now we have the states to mess things up. All one has to do is look at NY state and their history of inaction on this issue and they'll realize we still have an uphill battle.

NY is a government-nanny state. You cant even buy a Big Gulp there anymore can you?

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesmokingman

Oh god now we have the states to mess things up. All one has to do is look at NY state and their history of inaction on this issue and they'll realize we still have an uphill battle.

NY is a government-nanny state. You cant even buy a Big Gulp there anymore can you?

It certainly is a protectionist nanny state.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: thesmokingman

No idea I haven't had one in years. NY is ridiculous. All knee jerk laws, "for the benefit of the people" nonsense. Sadly the populated areas dictate the rest of the state it seems. The city people, at least the ones I've known, have often said the rest of the state doesn't matter, should follow the city, etc. Personally I think it's oppressive and backwards.
edit on 25-12-2014 by Yeahkeepwatchingme because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
If hemp becomes just another taxable commodity then it's true purpose is destroyed. Hemp has the power within Her to free the world from it's shackles. But she will not be sold as a Harlot. A society must be developed that will exploit her goodness without the pollution of Trade.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: HarryJoy

My main worry with the legalization movement is that the corps will end up poisoning the materials and become even more influential in the political world. I wish people could be free to use whatever they wish as long as they don't hurt anyone but the prospect of a corporate "marijuana cigarette" scares the hell out of me.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: HarryJoy
If hemp becomes just another taxable commodity then it's true purpose is destroyed. Hemp has the power within Her to free the world from it's shackles. But she will not be sold as a Harlot. A society must be developed that will exploit her goodness without the pollution of Trade.

I'm confused as to your meaning. Does that mean we shouldn't exploit hemp oil for bio-fuels and other resources?
Undoubtedly if help oil production arises out of this then it will be taxed and it will be traded.

In the end, isn't that what this is about?
Edit: Aside form the medical benefits i mean.
edit on 12/25/2014 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: IceHappy

I went to the doctor two days ago he said when I asked about the progress of medical MJ he said that he does not want pot heads for clients and that if I am in more pain.... take more morphine

LOLZ!!! "I refuse to associate with THC addicts, I much prefer to deal with heroin addicts." And that is why I never visit doctors.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
What he means is that if any of us in the United States actually valued true freedom, we could just grow and use our own plants without having to pay Uncle Scam a tax that he doesn't even deserve, and will not responsibly spend anyhow.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: centhwevir1979

If that's what he means then i 100% agree.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   

a reply to: HarryJoy

My main worry with the legalization movement is that the corps will end up poisoning the materials and become even more influential in the political world. I wish people could be free to use whatever they wish as long as they don't hurt anyone but the prospect of a corporate "marijuana cigarette" scares the hell out of me.

That may be true but remember that MJ is a weed that can easily be grown. Corporate influence may impact that fact but it would be a tough row to hoe. Sorry for the corny references and outdated idioms.

I wonder if all the poor people popped for possession will be cut lose?

edit on 25-12-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I can see them being released so people don't get angry. But I can also see the gov laughing and forgetting they're in jail. Weed can be grown in backyard gardens and many people with practice can produce, however what I forgot to add to my post was my fears that corporations will introduce seeds of poor quality, gmo, god knows what else and that will hinder the grow it yourself market.

Corporate weed frightens me. Weed used to be the result of great devotion, patience and skill (I don't mean the large scale illegal growers of today who produce vast quantities of good stuff in limited space). Controlling the plant is wrong imo. Controlling the seeds and the sources is true dominance.

The desire for "heirloom" strains and truly organic, safe, quality plants will always exist, luckily. To me it's worth the extra time and money spent on establishing decent plants, better than getting seeds from Walmart or Home Depot.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   

The desire for "heirloom" strains and truly organic, safe, quality plants will always exist, luckily. To me it's worth the extra time and money spent on establishing decent plants, better than getting seeds from Walmart or Home Depot.

Hear, hear...but as you well know...

The subculture of growers is huge with it's own science, language, media, marketing, music, accessories, fashion, art and devotees well established. Will this trend grow or be taken over regulation, taxation, and BS. Hopefully it's already out of corporate control but we shouldn't discount corporate power either. I hold as an example the military/industrial complex and their corporate war machine. Thats real power!!
edit on 25-12-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   

I believe that the practical/good uses of hemp should be fully developed. But if hemp only serves to further us down the same road that we are on now...then it will become corrupt along with all the other commodities. The proper setting for the free use of hemp (and it should be free in any setting) imo is a moneyless society where the tremendous potential of hemp can be displayed to the fullest extent by providing many of our basic necessities such as fuel,building materials and clothing. Hemp has the ability to be the underpinning for a whole new type of societal infrastructure.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: HarryJoy

I believe that the practical/good uses of hemp should be fully developed. But if hemp only serves to further us down the same road that we are on now...then it will become corrupt along with all the other commodities. The proper setting for the free use of hemp (and it should be free in any setting) imo is a moneyless society where the tremendous potential of hemp can be displayed to the fullest extent by providing many of our basic necessities such as fuel,building materials and clothing. Hemp has the ability to be the underpinning for a whole new type of societal infrastructure.

Awesome response and thanks for your clarification.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Mostly likely there will be some states that tax more than others, but if people don't think that hemp, or the related will not be taxed then they are just kidding themselves.

Also corporate control is going to happen sooner or later, just like all the dairy farmers were bought out.

Where there is big money, large corporations will soon venture.

Peace,

RT

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Don't get too excited just yet, it appears this has been misinterpreted a bit.

Congress Did Not Repeal the Ban on Medical Marijuana
reason.com...

The Rohrabacher amendment is a welcome indication that many members of Congress, including a sizable number of Republicans, are inclined to let states set their own marijuana policies, and it may indeed deter federal prosecutors from targeting patients and suppliers who comply with state law. But it clearly does not end the federal ban on marijuana, which makes no distinction between medical and recreational use. Even if the rider affects enforcement of that ban in the 23 states with medical marijuana laws, it has no impact in the other 27. Nor does it necessarily end tension between the federal government and states that let patients use marijuana for symptom relief.

First, the rider expires at the end of next September and may or may not be renewed. Second, federal prosecution of particular growers or dispensaries does not, strictly speaking, prevent states from implementing their medical marijuana laws, since it does not force states to punish activities they have decided to stop treating as crimes. Third, even if we read the rider as prohibiting raids, arrests, prosecutions, and forfeiture actions aimed at people complying with state law, who those people are remains a matter of dispute in California and other states that do not explicitly allow dispensaries. In those states, where the rules for supplying medical marijuana remain fuzzy, people do still "need to worry about federal drug agents raiding retail operations."

Also, the Reddit thread on the matter:
www.reddit.com...

It's still federally illegal and, for now, still Schedule I.

All this means is that the feds are prohibited from spending funds in an effort to raid/shutdown medical marijuana dispensaries in states that already have medical marijuana programs established, as long as those facilities are in compliance with state law
If a marijuana shop is not in compliance with state law, then the feds could still shut it down (as could the state).

Curiously, with the way things are worded in the spending bill (specifically repeated use of the word "medical") I would imagine that recreational facilities would not be exempt from federal intervention.

This is another step in the right direction, but it's most certainly not over.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join