It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bizarre Twist In Sony / NK Situation: Was The Sony Attack Internal - Made To Look Like NK Did It???

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Exactly what how i read it, an inside job. FBI does not care about the truth. When have they when they can use a cover for war and profit. Not sure if it was from outside Sony or inside though. Bet they make it a blockbuster out of the controversy. I will boycott the movie and their products.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   
We can spin this a little further, and this is where it gets REALLY interesting.

Let's just look at some facts, for a start.

1) Today SONY made indeed history in releasing a movie ONLINE at the same time as the theatrical release.

2) Nothing can be worse if a company wants to make money from online releases than file-sharing sites. Because as we have seen, the movie, not even a minute or two AFTER the online release, was found on file-sharing sites. This is yet another, but a SIGNIFICANT reason why SONY would want pirating sites shut down. It would be extremely bad once companies realize that the time of "movie theatres" is over, which it definitely is with people having home-cinema systems and high-speed internet AT HOME today.

3) SONY was trying to push changes to how the internet works, but this was rejected with SOPA.

4) It was leaked that SONY is nevertheless pursuing those changes (in simple words: They want control over the internet) DESPITE the rejection SOPA.

5) If in some months file sharing sites are miraculously vanishing off the internet, SONY could claim it's a revenge of those alleged "North Korean Hackers" who got angry that the movie was shared. Wouldn't that be brilliant?

6) The majority of people would actually BELIEVE that it was "angry North Korean hackers" bringing file sharing sites down.

7) SONY profited on many levels: Made good money with the release of this movie and people paying for it "in solidarity with SONY and freedom of speech". Got files-haring sites shut down and has the most brilliant excuse as to WHY. Can now continue releasing movies online at the same and charge money for them without the fear they'd lose most of it due to piracy.

Edit:

SONY could also pursue that internet changes are being made because they are forced "by terrorist hackers who blow up movie theaters" to release more movies online, rather than in theaters. This could convince some in control that those changes are indeed necessary to curb privacy. (The more a company is reliant on online business, the more dangerous piracy obviously is. In the past, they STILL had the advantage with movies first shown in theaters and quality digital copies appearing online many weeks, sometimes months later. With "terrorists who blow up movie theatres", their only edge they had is now gone. From that point of view, "terrorists who blow up movie theatres" are actually something very convenient to happen.
edit on 12/24/2014 by NoRulesAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
There are even more twists that I will try to write about tonight or tomorrow ( probably tomorrow as my families Xmas actually was tonight - tomorrow people all go out of town to visit other relatives, I am staying home ). I have to take a few hours to connect some dots but the newer info might end up here or even in a new thread - as there is quite a bit of information seeping it's way out. Information that could potentially change the tone of the entire narrative.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

They honestly could not make it anymore obvious!

Kinda like race baiting in Fergueson. Hindsight being 20/20, im a little disappointed knowing the playbook. Takes all the fun out of it. A part of me wishes they'd change it up a bit.

Is it just me or was the Chenney, err I mean Bush Administration much better at this?

Time to wake up, it bigger than that. Bush,Chenney, Obama, Hillary = same thing, same team, not like it used to be. Don't vote 2 party system anymore if you want things to be different. Value our heritage and the constitution. Vote constitutionalists or libertarian. Though it is only temporary until NWO. That is our fate, it is just a matter of when. Water, food, resources, and jobs will be shared. As there won't be enough to go around as population grows and jobs decrease due to automation. There will be too many without work and no way to live off the land. Gov will have to provide and share. Forget about big profit corps. Unless we kill enough in wars and poison enough with food and false cures for diereses. Oh already happening. That should slow it for a while. But the future is still written. Time will tell.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Their suggestion that someone needs any inside knowledge whatsoever to identify vulnerable systems is completely false. I've personally watched a whitehat hacking group infiltrate a network they knew nothing about that literally spends in excess of $10M a year on security. So I discount that statement in the article entirely.

I'd be interested in seeing what evidence they have if they decide to hand it over for public scrutiny. Until they do that, this is a company of 50 people looking for some press and if we're weighing invisible evidence, I at least know the reason the FBI/NSA aren't going to talk about how they know the things they know because it would expose their capability to tap international internet. I can't really say that Norse has that capability or reason for not turning over evidence. Thus far, the burden is still on them to present the details of that compelling evidence. They may, but until then, the needle hasn't moved.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   

You really can't beat free publicity. Nuff said

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: okachobi
Their suggestion that someone needs any inside knowledge whatsoever to identify vulnerable systems is completely false. I've personally watched a whitehat hacking group infiltrate a network they knew nothing about that literally spends in excess of $10M a year on security. So I discount that statement in the article entirely.

From what I read they used internal servers and had all the IPs (and passwords of course) for example to seed the leaked documents as torrents RIGHT FROM SONY SERVERS. Someone commented that it would require either inside information about those systems and IPs...or at least A RATHER LONG TIME to acquire all this information.

There was another indication about an inside job (trying to remember), that they used ONE email address in their communication which actually belonged to a real, former employee. (All other emails were random, fake emails). They pointed out that this email, the information about this employee was NOT found in any of the leaked information which otherwise listed 10.000s of SONY employees.

So or so, and just looking at the "100s of Terabytes" supposedly stolen, the information which was taken, the complexity of the malware used etc... this was a hack of truly "majestic" proportions which would require long and careful planning as far as I can judge that.

Some blogger summed it up nicely. He said something like that they could have sold this information and made FORTUNES yet they didn't. The hack looked like a revenge hack by someone who was raging in anger about SONY, also something which would more fit a former employee.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: NoRulesAllowed

That's one of the loose strings. Certainly, from the narrative given, Sony does, indeed know who Lena is. They've referenced her tenure, how long she worked there, etc. This would imply that not only the FBI but Intelligence agencies worldwide should also know the real life information of Lena as she has caused quite the little global mess...

And yet nobody is arresting Lena...

As mentioned earlier much, much is going on. In fact it's enough that Google ( evil giant that it is ) has once again taken up the mantle of opposition to Sony. Google only makes these stands when it's profitable for them to do so - and they always do so waving the flag of "free and open Internet".

This was no publicity stunt. IMO this is Watergate / The Kennedy assassination with the twist that, for the first time in modern history it is all involving private players with Governments being sucked in through all of the graft and legal bribery that we've allowed to happen over the past few decades.

It goes much deeper than that, but the above is a shorthand thesis.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Not much would surprise me.

North Korea wouldn't surprise me. It also wouldn't surprise me if they farmed out the job and just payed to have it done.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was an ex-employee. That actually seems pretty logical.

OK I guess two things that would mildly surprise me would be any actual involvement by the US govt. or Sony before the hack took place. Not saying this won't be used to either's advantage. I don't think it would actually be beneficial for this to have been orchestrated by Sony for a number of reasons. There is a tried and true method of getting the most $ for a movie, and it isn't releasing it online first and basically saying screw the ticket sales. I highly doubt an increased number of at home purchases are going to outweigh the loss of revenue from theaters. Even if all the theaters said f# it and played the movie, I'm betting a LOT of people wouldn't go. I was cautioned tonight not to go see it.

I suppose if you're conspiracy minded and into false flags then yeah, it makes sense to think the govt. Good excuse to roll out some new rules. Again, I think we very well may see a push and have this used as the catalyst for butt plundering internet freedoms, but I have a little more faith in our governments ability to do this kind of thing right and make it appear 100% the act of whoever they want to pin it on. Perhaps I shouldn't have that level of faith, but I do.

One thing that has me sort of confused (OK one of many things that has me confused) is the information about the group seeming to have initially wanted to blackmail, and making no real mention of being offended at first. So if it was a former employee, and she was trying to make N.K. look responsible (and it sounds like there are some telltale signs of N.K.) why would that former employee wait to say they were outraged? I suppose I could answer my own question (writing makes brain work more good) and say that former employee initially believed Sony would cave. Then when they didn't decided to play up the N.K. angle even more as an ass saving measure (you should totally type as an ass it's super fun and fast).

I don't think Sony is going to make more money because of this, I don't think the govt. would be this sloppy with such a potential PR nightmare, and I do think NK is batpoop crazy and that a former jaded employee is very plausible.

I don't get why this is such a big deal honestly. If anything, I think it's rather amusing (save for the whole the govt. may use this as an excuse). Really other than that potentiality, what is the big deal? The only thing that really chaps my beautiful, buxom behind is that Sony and the Theaters made us all look like a bunch of pussies. Which is also kind of amusing. I don't care if Sony loses money due to their own incompetence.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Hmm... Honeydicking themselves? Or would that be like a reverse false flag? Interesting...

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I still believe Sony and the U.S. government colluded on the whole thing. We know from the emails that were leaked that the State Department had at least some influence over scenes in the movie, and that a full cut of the film was screened for at least two government officials in late June, though some bits were re-filmed later (remember, it was originally intended to be released in October). So if there was a near-final cut that was screened in June, how long before that would the bulk of the filming have been done? And at what point did the State Department begin to get involved? I'd say the whole rotten deal has been in the works for at least a year...

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Yet another person intimately familiar with cybersecurity is calling B.S. as well:
No, North Korea Didn’t Hack Sony

All the evidence leads me to believe that the great Sony Pictures hack of 2014 is far more likely to be the work of one disgruntled employee facing a pink slip.

I may be biased, but, as the director of security operations for DEF CON, the world’s largest hacker conference, and the principal security researcher for the world's leading mobile security company, Cloudflare, I think I am worth hearing out.

As I and other members have mentioned previously - it smells. The 'evidence' that North Korea did it is not really evidence. The motive (the movie) was not originally what was communicated by the attackers (they wanted money).
edit on 0Thu, 25 Dec 2014 00:38:02 -0600America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago12 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   
This is not the thread I spoke of earlier, but I felt that this dialogue needed some grounding regarding just what North Korea is capable of - so I have added this thread to the tapestry to address that singular issue.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Ok so how does this disgruntled woman former employee pull a global denial of service army out of her ass?

Which begs the question, Heff...do you have one on speed dial incase your boss pisses you off? Is it that easy?
edit on 25-12-2014 by TinfoilTP because: (no reason given)

(post by IlluminatiTechnician removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 01:19 AM
link   

I thought that was common knowledge at this point. I read about it days ago. Why two threads? Can't you just have it added to the OP? No snark, just wondering.

People are going to hop in this thread, miss your 3rd page post and continue with the whole N.K. is super obsolete thing. Why not just add it to the OP and knock out the other thread? Mods should totally be allowed to add relevant things to an OP without worrying that they are somehow trying to manipulate. Let another mod make that action. Be open about it and state that you were unaware but that it's VERY relevant. It's one of the reasons why N.K. being involved wouldn't surprise me.

I feel like otherwise this thread is going to go to crap because not everyone is going to read three pages in (and let's face it many skip the OP).

Oh and Hefficide I hope you know that wasn't intended to sound disrespectful.

It has been pointed out to me that I lack a certain finesse when posting. Working on it. I'm actually very impressed you took the time to do another thread. It's always a pleasure to read your posts.
edit on 2520141220141 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 01:19 AM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

That's the entire point of the thread and several others I've posted... No, not even the most popular person in Anon's #warroom chatroom would be able to pull that sort of botnet out and use it.

What we saw was a global Cyberbattle. IMO very few entities could pull it off. A few Governments and a handful of Mega Corporations - and even then what we saw suggests that both categories were involved. Sony's admitted to hiring a botnet alreaady but that's just the tip of the spear.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 01:40 AM
link   
At first I thought that this was a self-hack by sony to promote their film, too, but then I looked into the extent of the damage done. There is no way in hell sony wanted this to happen. The damages far outweigh what the film will make them. They got, for lack of a better term, rekt.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 01:48 AM
link   
So apparently its being released on itunes you tube and google play just a name a few today.

Looks like the hack didnt stop anything.

Im still not sure why they go out of their way to make a comedy about killing a leader of a state regardless of how insane they may be.

Imagine if north korea made a movie about killing a western leader........maaaaaaaaan it would start world war 3

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 01:58 AM
link   
In an interesting although somewhat dismissive article from Gizmodo, it is discussed why it's probably not I the interests of Sony to hack themselves.

www.gizmodo.com.au...

The Sony hack is a terrible, awful thing that’s going to leave thousands of everyday employees dealing with the repercussions for years to come. But! At least there’s a crazy, ranting, sheeple-slaying silver lining. Friends, allow us to introduce you to the Sony hack truthers. There are a lot of them.

Their theories inhabit a wide range of crazy — from maybe-something’s-up scepticism to jet-fuel-can’t-melt-steel absurdity — but each is beautiful in its own, special way. Is it all just one big PR stunt? Did Obama orchestrate the Sony hack with the FBI to reintroduce SOPA legislation? Is this the same Big Brother group that went after Donald Sterling? Can we get Michael Jackson involved somehow? Sure! All of the above. Let’s take a tour.

Ok, fairly dismissive so far, but also showing a lot of 'tweets' from people who support the idea of a possible Sony hack.

This however makes me question if it was in Sony's interest;

It’s important to keep in mind that, in reality, all this leaked data was devastating, both to Sony and its employees. Thousands of social security numbers were plastered up for the world to see. Sony may be releasing The Interview in a few hundred US theatres now, but that’s nothing compared to the thousands that they had been slated to previously. Plus, Sony is going to be dealing with the residual lawsuits for years.

Not to mention the fact that this isn’t a movie that Sony Pictures even likes very much! There will be no Oscar buzz. In any other scenario, the movie would have premiered to ok-ish box office numbers and immediately been forgotten about. There is absolutely no reason for Sony to risk its own livelihood — not to mention committing a federal offence or two in the process — on such a dumb, unspectacular, mediocre film.

I am personally suspicious regarding the involvement of North Korea, but there are valid reasons suggesting why it is not in Sony's interest either. It seems Sony have little to gain, and a lot to lose.

Another player perhaps?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join