It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia to Retaliate Against the US Over Sanctions, Troops and Warheads Ready

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   
According to this article, Russia is ramped up for armed conflict against the US over sanctions imposed on Russia by the US over its role in the Ukraine crisis.

In its bid to impose more sanctions on Russia for its actions concerning Ukraine, the US Congress approved unanimously a new set of provisions over the country. Russia warned the West previously that if it pushes through with the bill then it will retaliate accordingly. There are now concerns about Russia's next move.

The sanctions cover lethal weapons and similar aid for Kiev. The passing of the bill goes against President Barrack Obama's stand. Previously, the president clarified that he does not want to push for additional sanctions unless the rest of Europe is on board with it.

So, what does ATS think? Are the war drums beating just a little harder or is it just more talk?

au.ibtimes.com...-So

+13 more 
posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook
According to this article, Russia is ramped up for armed conflict against the US over sanctions imposed on Russia by the US over its role in the Ukraine crisis.

In its bid to impose more sanctions on Russia for its actions concerning Ukraine, the US Congress approved unanimously a new set of provisions over the country. Russia warned the West previously that if it pushes through with the bill then it will retaliate accordingly. There are now concerns about Russia's next move.

The sanctions cover lethal weapons and similar aid for Kiev. The passing of the bill goes against President Barrack Obama's stand. Previously, the president clarified that he does not want to push for additional sanctions unless the rest of Europe is on board with it.

So, what does ATS think? Are the war drums beating just a little harder or is it just more talk?

au.ibtimes.com...-So

I just read that article at the link provided, then did a control F search for 'armed' which does not appear in the article at all. Instead it says:

"Undoubtedly, we will not be able to leave this without a response."

What kind of response? Could be sanctions against the US and other countries as Russia has done before. Your OP is deliberately misstating the facts in that article.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Technically from military perspective they should not wait and let NATO build up...but on the other hand, that`s exactly what the West wants, a replay of the 80s/90s with the Afghanistan/Chechen Wars which will be economically costly for Russia.

The West is up to the same tricks as before.

If Russia really doesn`t want to suffer the same faith as the last two times, it needs to pair up with the BRICS quickly and back their currencies to gold or the other solution would be to throw a few nukes and take out Saudia Arabia.

edit on 16 12 2014 by BornAgainAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Sounds dangerous to me, but my vision may be clouded.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   

edit on 16-12-2014 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I really don't know # - but, I don't think Putin will put up with the American man child wannabe dictator. That's all I have to say.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   
An odd one here in some legislation.

H.R.5859

Sec. 4. (b) (3)

Contingent sanction relating to gazprom.

--If the President determines that Gazprom is withholding significant
natural gas supplies from member countries of the North
Atlantic Treaty Organization, or further withholds significant
natural gas supplies from countries such as Ukraine, Georgia,
or Moldova, the President shall, not later than 45 days after
making that determination, impose the sanction described in
subsection (c)(7) and at least one additional sanction
described in subsection (c) with respect to Gazprom.

So we are "forcing" Russia to sell gas to Europe?

Means nobody else can supply the volume?

Hmmm.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

This is a war of wills, not war of armies.

The big challenge here is: will the Russian Tsar be Uncle Sam's bitch.

The instinctive answer is no. Russians will overwinter this, and grow towards east rather than west. Basically the history is repeating events from 1700s, when Peter the Great ruled and his vision of westernized Russia did backfire. So, the Russia will arm the boarder, keep itself - and the west - alert, and focus on evolving relations with rest of the world.

In time, treaties in place with India and China, Russia might evolve at some point a secondary banking system. Not based on Euro, not based on Dollar, but something else. Perhaps a common BRIC accounting unit (BRIC referring here to BRIC countries), or then perhaps the Chinese Renminbi. This system could be resilient to the turbulence which both Euro and Dollar are currently suffering from.

Who knows. But I do not believe sanctions will make Russian political leadership to dodge an inch. The wealthy oligarchs in Russia might scream like pigs, but freedom has its price too.

+24 more 
posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Russia's response will not military, they are not going to start a losing shooting war.
To put things in perspective

The US Air Force alone is more than twice the size of Russia's

The US Navy alone dwarfs Russia's fleets

The US military alone has 1.3 million active duty members, Russia has over 700K. NATO in total has over 3 million active duty members.

The US is a member of 4 military alliances, NATO, Rio Pact, Treaty of Manilla, ANZUS and has mutual defense treaties several nations. All these treaties treat an attack on any member as an attack on all. In theory an attack on the United States would activate treaties with 50 nations. And that does not count many other US allies not covered by direct treaty.

So let us put the idea that a sane Russia would ever conduct any military action against the US. The results would not be good for Russia.

+13 more 
posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   
The threat of military action by Moscow is nothing more than a bluff. Its the same reason he talks about nuclear weapons. He is trying to worm his way out of the mess he made by constant bluff. He is hoping his saber rattling will be a deterrent.

The lies Putin used in Ukraine, Crimea, sanction sand the economy are coming back to bite him in the ass. Because of his ego Putin is not going to back down. All he has left is confrontation initiated by his actions and a massive welt on the back of his head from being hit by a boomerang.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   
ITAR-TASS (Russian) Supreme Court to try shutdown of Russia's oldest human rights organization

MOSCOW, December 17. /TASS/. Russian Supreme Court will try a Justice Ministry’s lawsuit on a shutdown of Russian Memorial human rights organization on Wednesday.

The lawsuit was based on the findings of the Justice Ministry’s inquiry conducted in 2012 proving that “the organization lacks an all-Russia status, did not confirm statutory activities in documents and did not observe provisions of its charter.” The Justice Ministry asked to rectify violations until July 30, 2013, but this was not done and the ministry had filed a lawsuit in the Supreme Court.

click link for remainder of article

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 01:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

I agree with these sentiments. I also believe that Putin will try to fight his way out of the corner he's backed himself into before the 2016 US Presidential elections. I think he figures now's his only chance to play his strategy. His opening moves haven't been on a genius level, to be sure, with almost all his pawns wiped off the board.

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 01:20 AM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

Honestly, who the hell gives a crap about troop numbers when we are talking both tactical and strategic nuclear weapons involved here?

And on that count, they are vastly better prepared in any number of ways. They realized long ago they already had the great equalizer. It just comes down to a willingness to use them. And if YOU want to test him on that, then maybe YOU should go over there and help install the missile "shields." Let me know once we're both on the other side how that worked out for you. Cause you'll get there sooner than me, that's for sure.

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
Russia's response will not military, they are not going to start a losing shooting war.
To put things in perspective

The US Air Force alone is more than twice the size of Russia's

The US Navy alone dwarfs Russia's fleets

The US military alone has 1.3 million active duty members, Russia has over 700K. NATO in total has over 3 million active duty members.

The US is a member of 4 military alliances, NATO, Rio Pact, Treaty of Manilla, ANZUS and has mutual defense treaties several nations. All these treaties treat an attack on any member as an attack on all. In theory an attack on the United States would activate treaties with 50 nations. And that does not count many other US allies not covered by direct treaty.

So let us put the idea that a sane Russia would ever conduct any military action against the US. The results would not be good for Russia.
how did nam and afghanistan work out even iraq was a mess

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 01:43 AM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

all those troop numbers and armory mean diddley squat in how modern warfare will engage.....the first thing that will happen will be a strategic attack like taking down communications and utilities ....lets face it alot of this stuff can be done via a laptop these days...when you couple in tactical weapons like nukes we are looking at a completely different type of war.....man power no longer holds the upper hand...

i am not so sure i would count russia out of the game at this point in time...especially if other brics nations get on board

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I don't know why the Russians are so fixated on the sanction arrangements by the US, considering Russia/US trade is actually comparatively low.

The killer for Russia is the EU sanctions.

Could it be that the focus on the US by media controlled or sympathetic to Russia is trying to paint a different picture. Essentially create a well-known bogey man in the US? The politics of the new Cold War, perhaps?

Regards

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 02:10 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

i am not so sure i would count russia out of the game at this point in time...especially if other brics nations get on board

AH yes, a five nation group that will help defeat the west. Do you think China really wants to fight with their cash cow?

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 02:12 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Essentially create a well-known bogey man in the US?

When you control the media you can control the bogey man.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 02:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h

AH yes, a five nation group that will help defeat the west. Do you think China really wants to fight with their cash cow?

tbh honest i have no clue why anyone anywhere wants to fight.....i was just putting forward that war as we know it is a thing of the past.....we know live in a world where bigger is not better.....

edit to add...
china is interested while the huge population of the U.S is buying.....as the populations grow china will have many other cash cows to work with...
edit on 17-12-2014 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   

china is interested while the huge population of the U.S is buying.....as the populations grow china will have many other cash cows to work with...

But none with the economy of the US, and none that will supply the monetary flow the US brings into China.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join