It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio teen refuses to do homework until school brings back Ten Commandments plaque

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
The kid obviously wasn't that great of a student in the first place so let his grades drop. Had he been a good student then he would have known that plaque has no place in a public school that is funded by the government.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Yea I guess the keeping religion out of public school thing doesn't matter either? Again, they could easily display the Bill of Rights and it would be a MUCH better symbol for the students of the school.

Do any schools do that?

That plaque was on the wall since 1953. He thinks its important and unlike you made it clear that his protest wasn't about religion.

That's because teenagers can't see beyond their noses.

Thats subjective. Maybe kids hear you say that and would rather "look at their noses" than listen to anything further. In fact kids aren't being taught anything they can apply to everyday life.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

he will soon realize that high school did not matter in the big picture of life.

Only morons think that.

Everyones life matters, and every part of it is important. I give him kudos for being the only kid to try and teach the other kids something they will never learn in "public school".

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Do any schools do that?

Who knows? Does the answer to that question change the fact that it would a be decent thing to display or not?

That plaque was on the wall since 1953. He thinks its important and unlike you made it clear that his protest wasn't about religion.

Appeal to tradition fallacy.

Thats subjective. Maybe kids hear you say that and would rather "look at their noses" than listen to anything further. In fact kids aren't being taught anything they can apply to everyday life.

Apparently you don't have teenagers of your own and have forgotten what it's like to be one. It is common knowledge that teenagers are incredibly short sighted. This is affect of their maturity, which we all know is lacking. The fact that you are arguing this is baffling to me.

To be honest, I think you are just mad that I slammed the Ten Commandments. But at the end of the day, it is a religious artifact and secular and non-Christian students don't need to see it. If the kid was TRULY looking to display a document for the kids to learn by and exemplify, then there are plenty of good secular documents to display, like the Bill of Rights or the Constitution. Almost half of the Ten Commandments don't apply to non-Christians, so it is unimportant to them.

Maybe if the kid actually STUDIED those documents instead of religious documents like the Ten Commandments, he'd know that the Ten Commandments are a religious artifact, with the Bill of Rights outlining that religion and government need to be separate (yes I know it doesn't specifically spell out separation of church and state, but the wording definitely implies it).
edit on 15-12-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
His problem. If he wants to fail then so be it. If he wants to go to a school that focuses on open religion, he should transfer schools. Up until then, he's being a waste of space within the classroom. If he's not doing his homework, he's not doing his part to learn. People need to take their education more seriously.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

You fail, thanks we need gas station attendents and burger flippers too.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I support him. Just like I'd support a Jew or Muslim doing the same thing. And I commend him for actually doing something other than whining. Whining is a sign you should get off your ass and become effective.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
I support him. Just like I'd support a Jew or Muslim doing the same thing. And I commend him for actually doing something other than whining. Whining is a sign you should get off your ass and become effective.

This IS just whining. He isn't going to change anything and all he is going to do is shoot himself in the foot for college prospects. If he wanted to really make a difference, he should have put together a petition, appealed to the school board, spoken to a teacher about it, or any number of things that a mature, adult would do within the legal framework of our government. Nope, boycotting school work is where he went (and possibly going to the media since this story showed up in it). Like I said, the school could give a rats' ass how his marks are. They'll just suspend him then expel him if he doesn't stop then move on.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

he will soon realize that high school did not matter in the big picture of life.

Only morons think that.

Everyones life matters, and every part of it is important. I give him kudos for being the only kid to try and teach the other kids something they will never learn in "public school".

i think the people that believe high school actually matters/mattered in the big picture of life are the morons.
the people that believe high school will be or was their 'wonder years'
hahahah

high school is a mere blip of unimportant #
i dont mean the education...i mean all the other crap
means nothing
its not wonderful....
maybe for the prom queen that is/was oh so popular and everyone loved her...yeah, i could see that being the best time of her life.
you know, now that she is on her 3rd marriage and 5th kid its understandable.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   

No whining is sitting on the net and thinking you make a big difference. His future will suffer only because he decided to do something he felt was important.

In this day and age of internet petitions, hokey banners and Guy Fawkes masks, this is actually refreshing. Now I understand most don't support him because it's a religious issue but I can imagine many would support him if his gripe was more "socially acceptable".

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   

“I don’t care about my grades now,” he continued. “I told the principal, until there is an agreement reached, I will not participate in any Harding-related activities, any Marion City Schools-related activities. Sports, choir, classes, whatever. I won’t even wear my Harding Marching Band shirt.”

“Until there is at least some agreement made between the administration and the students,” Miller said, he will continue his strike. “If it is all year,” he added, “then it is all year.”

DEAR ANTHONY MILLER, THOU SHALT NOT PASS 9TH GRADE.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: XP100

And that's what I admire. He's sacrificing his future, his grades, everything to make a point. It's going over many people's heads because it's the 10 Commandments (was to be expected) but this kid is more courageous than any of us would ever be.

A person willing to lose everything to make a stand is an admirable person indeed. Most speak about change, being the change, creating solutions and it's all talk for the most part. They'll continue to sit back, watch it crumble and wish they had the drive to be the change they speak of.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: XP100

this moron means serious business.
he is so serious about it and so committed to this, he will not even wear his marching band t shirt.
yeah, he is right up there with the burning monk and ghandi...
no diggity, no doubt[/black street]

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

He's sacrificing his future, his grades, everything to make a point.

i for one and super enthused about my tax dollars being used for the programs he will no doubt be on while he bitches(and maybe even protests) about how crappy his wages are.
now the point is he is a moron and that will be the point in the future too

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Except, no matter what his "cause" is, his actions are going to have zero effect on the people whose minds he is trying to change. It is no different than whining on a forum, except now his future is screwed up. In order to successfully protest, one has to inconvenience the opposing party in some way. Otherwise, what motivation do they have to listen to you? Until you can do that, you just come off as a whiny brat (like in the OP).

There are certainly more mature ways he could have gone about this, and even if he was DEAD SET on pursuing the schoolwork boycott, he should have enlisted more students to get on board. That way it will actually have an effect on the school's performance report (which could effect their budget). As of now, he is just a laughable blip and will have no noticeable impact on policy. Plain and simple, he is an idiot. I hope his parents are proud, they just raised a future high school drop out.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   

So is he a moron because he's fighting for the 10 Commandments or is he a moron because he's willing to sacrifice everything (while the majority do nothing)?

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

He's a moron for letting his immaturity do his thinking for him.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

So doing what the majority wish they could do is immaturity?

At the root of all the contempt towards this person is the fact that he's doing it for the 10 Commandments. And it's disgusting, if he were fighting for other causes people would change their tune. Don't deny it.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   

At the root of all the contempt towards this person is the fact that he's doing it for the 10 Commandments. And it's disgusting, if he were fighting for other causes people would change their tune. Don't deny it.

i deny it cause it is not true.
i would think he is a moron for protesting anything by being the lone person refusing to do his homework and omg omg refusing to wear his band shirt.

the fact that he is doing it for the magic plaque tells me he is an extra big ass moron and it gives me a chuckle

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   

You don't have to deny it, the way you speak about this "magic plaque" just shows you have contempt for him based on his cause.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join