It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio teen refuses to do homework until school brings back Ten Commandments plaque

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

There is nothing to hide no prejudgment, and for sure no bigotry, It's about the separation of church and state.
None of the previous posts shows a bigotry against a specific religion, we are against the idea of religion in a public school. This wall is paid by taxes and not by the church.

You speak about equality to all religions. What would you think is the more sensible thing to do. Put up 100 different religious symbols to the wall or remove the only one that's there?

How would you feel when (lets say) this kid wins at the end and the religious symbol goes again on the wall, if then an atheist kid did the same for the symbol to be removed. Would you also support an atheist kid for doing the same protest for the opposite reason?
In the end why all the other kids have to look at it everyday?

I do not blame the kid, but his parents for trying to make him a ''martyr'', which will gain them respect and attention in their religious circles. They are guilty for brainwashing him with their religion, and making him into another religious extremist who doesn't respect the freedom of others.
Some religious people feel special when they are fighting for their religion, mmm.... anything comes in mind?

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Talking about hypocrisy many of you say, we atheists are biased because it's about the ten commandments.
How many of you who support this kids actions , would feel the same about a muslim kid, who would go on strike for his religious symbol to go on the wall?

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Dr1Akula

i sure hope some kid from the same school of a different faith pulls a bitch fit as well for some religious whatever they feel is important.
i would like to see this dudes reaction...
crossing my fingers

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dr1Akula
Talking about hypocrisy many of you say, we atheists are biased because it's about the ten commandments.
How many of you who support this kids actions , would feel the same about a muslim kid, who would go on strike for his religious symbol to go on the wall?

This kid didn't go on strike because he wanted something put on a wall. He did it because something was taken off of the wall that's been there since 1953.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Back in my day, we would have just told the teacher that the dog ate my homework. Hence the 11th commandment, to thine ownself be true. Namaste.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

so he does not want it put up on the wall?
pretty sure he does

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Sure let them. Religious equality. But with atheism, if you think the commandments are made up, then why raise a fuss about it being on the wall? How is the kid brainwashed? Because he believes in something? One could say the same for atheism. It goes both ways.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Kid doesn't sound very smart given what the grade outcome will be unless the teacher cheats and gives him credit for work he didn't do. So I guess it's no actual loss. Maybe others will demand the same treatment with work or lack there of.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
Sure let them. Religious equality. But with atheism, if you think the commandments are made up, then why raise a fuss about it being on the wall?

Me personally? it reminds me of the religion that caused oppression, wars, crusades, inquisition, witch-hunting, pagan slaughters and torture, book burning, the destruction of my beloved ancient civilization, immorality, destructive and unproductive conservatism, leading to unevolved and superstitious societies, persecution of philosophy and science, dark ages, blind faith, authority to imaginary beings, afterlife punishment preaching, forcing me to accept absurd stories as the ultimate truth, marginalization of the disbelievers, hate towards other beliefs, the death of true spirituality, and many, many more I can write until tomorrow.

How is the kid brainwashed? Because he believes in something? One could say the same for atheism. It goes both ways.

His belief isn't kept for himself, and leads him to disrespect society and the freedom of others.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Yeah it's not the religion that did that, it's easily manipulated people being led by those who corrupt doctrine for profit and control. And since you brought up so many "shocking" points, I'll tell you other religions are just as guilty.

And atheists condemning and mocking others who believe in something isn't disrespectful to society and the freedom of others? It goes both ways, you have to look both ways...

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Atheism isn't a religion or belief system. It is merely the lack of belief in Gods or Goddesses. Nothing more, nothing less.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75
This kid didn't go on strike because he wanted something put on a wall. He did it because something was taken off of the wall that's been there since 1953.

What's the difference? doesn't matter how long it was on the wall, it shouldn't be there in the first place.
When someone likes charity and donates something to a public school, it has to be something useful, computers, lab equipment, books and school equipage for the poor.
Not a religious symbol, just to remind the kids they live in a religious society.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

So if they think something doesn't exist then why would they even acknowledge the commandments on the wall? Following their logic they're getting offended....over nothing. Kind of defeats that "doesn't exist" doctrine.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer
Atheism isn't a religion or belief system. It is merely the lack of belief in Gods or Goddesses. Nothing more, nothing less.

Exactly! It's not a verb. It has no action. It has no belief to follow.

What an individual believes, that claims to be atheist, is their own personal philosophy. The only connection to atheism is lack of belief in a god.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

So when an atheist says they believe there is no god then what are they saying? They don't believe they believe there's no god?

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   

So when an atheist says they believe there is no god then what are they saying? They don't believe they believe there's no god?

Lack of belief Is not a belief.

It's a void, nothingness. Then there's the "hair - bald" thing . . . .
edit on 15-12-2014 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   

So you believe there is no god? That's a belief. You believe there is no god. What about mostly certain, pretty certain, convinced, sure, contention?

I believe there's no truth in two party politics. Is that not a belief?

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   

So you believe there is no god? That's a belief. You believe there is no god. What about mostly certain, pretty certain, convinced, sure, contention?

I believe there's no truth in two party politics. Is that not a belief?

A void is nothingness.
edit on 15-12-2014 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

So he's basically decided to drop out. That's not a protest. A third or more of ALL high school kids do this for assorted reasons and nobody cares. Pointless.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Yeah it's not the religion that did that, it's easily manipulated people being led by those who corrupt doctrine for profit and control. And since you brought up so many "shocking" points, I'll tell you other religions are just as guilty.

And atheists condemning and mocking others who believe in something isn't disrespectful to society and the freedom of others? It goes both ways, you have to look both ways...

But their religion drove those people to do that, (by not keeping it for themselves).
I agree other religions are just as guilty.
Stating and presenting the issues of their beliefs and the results to society isn't the same as condemning and mocking.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join