It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Santa Tradition: Yes or No?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
So last year my oldest finally fugured out about Santa Claus, much to my relief. It was getting ridiculous! LoL! He was ten years old FFS! Anyways - he was pissed! He felt embarrassed and like we weren't honest with him.

He got over it and is really excited this year about helping to be Santa for his 3 year old brother.

Only, I'm not sure I want to carry on the tradition.

First, there was last year's meltdown by my oldest. And now, this year, after hearing a Christmas song, my three year old has been hiding from Santa.

You know the one: He sees you when you're sleeping, knows when you're awake, he knows if you've been bad or good so be good for goodness sake!"

We keep having to search the house. We dang sure better not take him to the mall! LoL!

I'm left wondering if this is a tradition that just needs to go the way of the ages, into the history books?

WSY ATS? Is Santa too fanciful and archaic in a rational, modern world?

How do your families handle this? Are there better traditions?

Help!

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I understand your sentiment but I think it would be unfair not have santa at christmas.

Every family christmas is different, maybe you could play it down a little and only get small gifts from santa clause.

In my family santa is a pretty giving guy and I'm pretty sure my son thinks santa gets him better gifts than I do and he's starting to question that as he gets older.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
In short...
Yes it's definitely archaic.

I could go on a diatribe of why I think it's wrong, but I don't want to be dragged into a debate about it.

Each to their own.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Wait till he figures out that there is no god...
He's really gunna be pissed about that.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Santa clause is monarch mind control.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I remember how exciting Christmas and Santa was when I was young, so I just let my daughter figure out on her own from kids at school or whatever. When she finally DID ask me if Santa was real, I simply asked her "what do you think?". I let her answer her own question, which she said she WANTS to believe but she does not. I explained this is part of growing up. Now, I dont have to buy extra presents from santa anymore! This is also how I expect to handle the religion thing when it comes up. It is sad to see them lose their innocence but it is a part of life.
edit on 10-12-2014 by thesmokingman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Superman can't really fly either.
What's the harm in a little fantasy?

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Its fun for young kids, so it should be encouraged just for them

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: thesmokingman
I remember how exciting Christmas and Santa was when I was young, so I just let my daughter figure out on her own from kids at school or whatever. When she finally DID ask me if Santa was real, I simply asked her "what do you think?". I let her answer her own question, which she said she WANTS to believe but she does not. I explained this is part of growing up. Now, I dont have to buy extra presents from santa anymore! This is also how I expect to handle the religion thing when it comes up. It is sad to see them lose their innocence but it is a part of life.

It's funny that you mention religion, I'm not religious but my son has to say prayers at school, he's just 8 and has already decided that god does not exist independantly but still belives in santa clause.

I imagine it is because god gives him nothing whereas santa is getting him a new bike this year.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
We do the Santa tradition, but like someone else suggested we downplay it. We don't run out to the malls to see Santa or anything like that. We don't talk about him incessantly, or use his whole creepy night watching thing as a way to get our child to behave. Santa also doesn't get her the "best" present. That best gift always comes from mom or dad (although Grandma has us beat this year -_-)

A kid at school told my kid that Santa isn't real, so she has her suspicions, but for now she has chosen to go with the flow and continue believing. When she solidly doesn't believe anymore, I will explain to her that I haven't technically lied to her, because I have never said "Santa is real". We keep the conversations about Santa limited to "Have you written a wish list to Santa yet" and anything else is only when she brings it up in conversation. I will explain to her about how the Santa tradition has been passed down in her family, and that we passed it down to her because we felt that it was a fun part of this 'magical' time of year and helps keep things festive.

I say enjoy it while you can, when else do we get to experience mystery and 'magic' if not as children!
edit on 10-12-2014 by MojaveBurning because: typo

link   
Around our house we celebrate our Christmas Holidays in the time honored tradition, the way most Americans celebrate this most holy of days.

With drunken fistfights, constant family arguments about old resentments, children crying, and more drinking.

Santa doesn't even get a mention....

edit on 10-12-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71

Because children don't know the difference.

Why lie to a child? Because everyone does it?

Their first experience severing from the notion of honesty. The first mistrust of the parents placed there by the state.

Oh by the way, we been lying to you. But it was all fun, harmless, good for you…

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Yes ... errrr I mean No.
Santa Claus is a corporate shill and cares not for little children , his only interest is in the cash in little children's parents pockets and how to obtain that cash for his masters.

Ho Ho Ho
Merry Christmas

(I'm not religious)

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I understand the whole lying thing from the perspective of a critical thinking adult but does any one really have a problem with there parents creating a happy fantasy full of awe, wonder and magical reindeers for to make them happy as a child?

It's like the tooth fairy, yes it's a lie but it distracts children from the pain and discomfort of teeth falling out which is pretty unpleasant.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71

Because children don't know the difference.

Why lie to a child? Because everyone does it?

Their first experience severing from the notion of honesty. The first mistrust of the parents placed there by the state.

Oh by the way, we been lying to you. But it was all fun, harmless, good for you…

Yes, because nobody will ever lie to them. If Santa Claus does any serious mental damage to your kids then they are in for a lifetime of misery and antidepressants.
You raise your kids how you want and I'll do the same.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   

In my (not always humble) opinion, Cant we just be honest with our kids from the beginning?

I remember going to my parent's friends home with my sister who was four years younger. The children there all stated that Santa was not real and my sister was upset. Seeing her pain I comforted her and explained that they were not correct (I Lied). Since then I started to feel that this Christmas stuff is a tradition and should be understood as such. Cant we as parents just tell our children the truth? Deny Ignorance should have a meaning and why should we encourage our children to be ignorant?

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Do we not constantly lie to our children about the world we live in?

If you lose your job and are worried about putting food on the table you don't tell the little one that the familys in trouble, I would not let my son visit ats as there is far too much horrible truth here.

a reply to: notmyrealname

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: notmyrealname

In my (not always humble) opinion, Cant we just be honest with our kids from the beginning?

I remember going to my parent's friends home with my sister who was four years younger. The children there all stated that Santa was not real and my sister was upset. Seeing her pain I comforted her and explained that they were not correct (I Lied). Since then I started to feel that this Christmas stuff is a tradition and should be understood as such. Cant we as parents just tell our children the truth? Deny Ignorance should have a meaning and why should we encourage our children to be ignorant?

I agree. I hated "lying " to my daughter all those years! When I was a kid, aged 7, my dad bought the family an Atari video game system. He had NO problem letting us know it was from MomandDadclause. Thats when I found out pretty much lol.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
hell yeah we have the santa tradition in this house.
my daughter is 2 and she is stoked.
about 100 times a day we hear her say 'santa bringing crayons'

thats all she wants from santa is crayons.

its ok to have a little fantasy or whatever you want to call it.
part of being a kid in my opinion.

not about being honest or no...when she gets a little older i will drop the bomb on her that santa is not real. she will flip or she wont. but in the end she will be told...

i dont care if people dont want their kid to think santa is real. their kid is their business.
mine is my business.

i tell you who she wont thing is real.
the bearded sandle wearing miracle man

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge
Its fun for young kids, so it should be encouraged just for them

Exactly...

OP if your kid is 3, just have some fun.
He'll grow out of it soon enough, just roll with it.
It's a great time to be a kid, Xmas.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join