It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public smoking should be banned completely

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Your "mountain of evidence" is all epidimiology - all of it created AFTER the plan to introduce propaganda to give the idea that second hand smoke was harmful to them.

What proof - well if you have a brain in your head - here is your proof.

The surgeon general states "there is no safe level of exposure to second hand smoke". - So according to the surgeon general - second hand smoke is more harmful than sarin gas. If you look at the exposure data for sarin gas - there is a safe exposure level.

So why don't we go to war and kill people with second hand smoke instead of sarin gas?????

Do you ever really think about what you are told? Smoke is smoke - we are surrounded by it and have been since humans crawled out of the muck and began lighting fires to burn organic material. oh the horror - however did we all survive.

Tired of control Freaks

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   

I continue to smoke not only to keep myself calm and focused in the stresses of outdoor environs but also have found it's a wonderful way to keep certain people from getting too close to me. I know they're "sensitive". I also know they don't seem to be all to concerned about the things they do that irritate me and others like me, so having a cigarette is a great way to maintain distance with that sort.

Now, this is not to say I walk into a situation full of non-smokers and light up with a giant middle finger raised, heavens no. I even feel a bit bad if I pass an elder who is ultra-sensitive and coughs because of the latent aroma. I move away as quickly as possible. I also hide my smoking from small children and never light up anywhere near kids. I field strip my filters when there is no trash can present and hold onto the butt until I can dispose of it properly.

I have gone out of my way more times as polite courtesies to non-smokers than I care to admit.....but you know what? One of the main reasons I continue to smoke with the ferocity that I do is because some people can't get past their little idealistic territorial imperatives enough to live and let live, and I refuse to bow down to a bunch of pansy monkeys who think their pleasure and comfort is more important than any other species on this planet.

And....hate to throw this out there....but I'm going to....when the "aliens" finally decide to harvest my organs for their little midnight snacks, they're just going to have to buck up and deal with the nicotine and tar and various poisons in my system or else go for that nice little vegan pure breather instead. Guess which of us is easier to tackle when you get right down to it?

edit on 12/9/14 by GENERAL EYES because: ETA: added video

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

You are going to brilliant lengths simply to justify something very dumb. Those ciggys have you jumping through hoops.

I won't nag anymore. We're not going to change each other's mind. Enjoy your smoke, just not around people who don't want to share it with you.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   

First off, and I can only speak for myself, I do not light up without permission from those who are gathered with me.
If you move within my personal space to complain after I light up, That is not my concern.
So yeah, I try to be polite about it. However the amount of people who come close just to cover their mouths and cough (and turn back the way they have come), makes me suspect that there is a political agenda or judgment to their actions. Funny enough this was mostly from high school students when I was in college, on a college campus.

Once again you are judging actions and painting with a broad brush. I cannot think of a single smoker that I know that will light one up in a crowd, or stay seated at a table if there are others who object.

There is also evidence that there is no evidence of second hand smoke:
www.cbc.ca...
www.forbes.com...
blogs.telegraph.co.uk...
Here are 3 articles, one from 2014, two from 2013. Sorry to use such dated material, perhaps you could find something more recent for me.

As far as in public if you do a Google search you will see def. number one defines public as: of or concerning the people as a whole.

There is no caveat excluding smokers.
I appreciate you're wanting to commiserate with the OP. I prefer to go with the website motto

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

The story I heard was deer will eat them, become addicted, think they are full (as the butts do not digest) and starve.

I don't litter butts.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   

oh no - you don't - I have no intention of trying to change your mind about smoking. You don't want to see the evidence - although I have been reading and studying the subject extensively for over 12 years now - going all the way back to the early 1920's when Lucille Gaston Page tried for tobacco prohibition.

So although I recognise that you hate smoking - you have not commented at all on what gives you or anyone including the government to deny smokers the right to peaceful public assembly as declared in the constitutions in both the US and Canada!

What gives anyone the right to deputize bartenders and wait staff and FORCE them to enforce smoking laws.

What gives anyone the right to declare private property as public property??? What gives you the right to usurp government power to address your own pet peeve and declare and that all privately owned hospitality venues must cater ONLY to your tastes?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

I will agree that if a business owner wants to allow smoking, it should be. City ordinance or not. Patrons can decide if they want to go there or not.

As for your evidence, I really don't care. No offense.

I was raised in a house with smokers. I know how it feels to wheeze, to have my eyes burn and how my clothes and hair smelled.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: muse7

Every time I smell vile "foods" like McDonald's, it makes me feel sick to my stomach, but I think that if they want to eat horrible tasting food, while helping to lower the population, let them have their Big Mac & wash if down with some carbonated aspartame. Less people means more resources for me (and less traffic.)

Yeah, smoking is a little bit different, but for me, as long as they're outside, smokers should be able to smoke. Honestly, even as a recovering tobacco addict (lol), I think bars, etc. should get to choose whether to allow smoking.

Now though, I vape. It's yummy, only bothers weirdos, costs a TON less, and doesn't fill my lungs with black too. But smokers have been taken advantage of far too grievously, at least in the US. I'm surprised there hasn't been a push to allow non-smokers to own smokers - yet...I want to see others freedoms trampled to the same degree before I try crushing smokers under das boot any further. @

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Awww dam, muse! Did you experience something that irritated you? There should be a law against that!!!

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

I don't mind false information if it keeps people from littering. Hadn't heard the deer angle. I think the bird thing was similar.

Testing deleting a link that seemed innocuous.

edit on 0920141220141 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   

I am so confused right now. I was talking about deer and birds eating cigarette butts... Did I link a bad site or something?

Ahh, so it was the link.

If anyone wonders when I posted I got a message box in my post instead of my post that said LIES! I'm thinking the site I linked a story from about deer eating butts is banned here because they ran nonsense.
edit on 0920141220141 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   
That's what happens when you link benefitsofsmoking.com.

LMAO!

j/k

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage
Awww dam, muse! Did you experience something that irritated you? There should be a law against that!!!

Next up: dryer sheets.

BANNED!

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   

And I will concede your right to ban smoking on YOUR private property and your right to attend only those privately owned venues that cater to your taste.

There is a 400 year history of tobacco prohibition movements that included summary execution and pouring hot lead down the throats of smokers. There have been 3 such movements this century alone - Lucille Gaston Page in the 1920's, Hitler in the 1940s and Goddard, who planned and executed the current movement in the 1970s.

ALL such movements ended and they ALL ended the same way and for the same reasons

1. MONEY - its all well and good to enact these foolish feel good laws when there is money to be made. But eventually, inevitably, the money runs out! Once the law can no longer be enforced - it is overturned by popular consensus.

2. While a lie can circle the globe before truth has the chance to put its pants on - inevitably the very wieght of the lie becomes a wall that crushes the liars. The current prohibition has bought scientists to gather their evidence and it now to the point where people no longer trust science.

3. Prohition only works when something is already unpopular but the very act of prohibition ignites the popularity of the item in question. Think of marijuana - how popular it has become since it was banned.

By the very tone of this post - you can already see that a large majority of non-smokers are extremely tired of the continual whining and smokers are ready to fight back!

You should start watching your back - you may find a smoker willing to punch you in the mouth, the next time you feel it necessary to impose your opinion.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks

You should start watching your back - you may find a smoker willing to punch you in the mouth, the next time you feel it necessary to impose your opinion.

ORLY!?

Thanks for underscoring my broader point about smokers.

LoL!

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks

Be advised : Correctional Facilities are non-smoking environments.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

LMAO!

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

They are supposed to be drug-free as well (eyes roll)

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Wow, fighting on the internet over cigarettes. Quite admirable.

Unity is the key. It's easy to say this stuff to other people but most won't say it to TPTB. If people united, and acted as one group, realizing freedom for everybody is paramount, things would change for the better on this planet.

Smoke, don't smoke, it's all up to you but when the stuff hits the fan I hope people don't go Max Max over things like this, I hope they put these things aside and fight for eachother.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

oh BS! I see more nurses smoking outside the local hospitals than most workplaces...

This guy

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join