It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public smoking should be banned completely

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: suz62
OP, I'd take up smoking just to annoy you. Stop whining about other's rights before the government bans something you like to do.

The OP is cool...

This is a very small issue. I think he heard us.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I support the rights of those who want to be annoying and complain. But I also support the rights of those who annoy the annoying complainers. What's freedom if it can't be applied to both parties?

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Hey there...they are also banning visitors who smoke and perfume and scented soap users...posted in entry ways and elevators.

In Michigan, they were also discussion banning smoking outside in public parks and at bus-stops. Already banned in buildings, resturants, bars, cabs etc...

Ive never smoked...but have bad allergies around it.

The hiring practices are becoming standard. You need a job...bad...and are qualified with great referrences and work history. They wil say:
"Are you a smoker?" Answering "Yes. Why? Does that mater?" Reply. "Yes. We dont hire smokers. Heavy liability, medical issues, 2nd hand smoke issues etc...".
Reply "Ok. So Ill quit." Sorry. Thats unfortuante because we need someone right now". Come back after you quit, we'll send you for a medical exam and then maybe we can talk about hiring you in the future".

And this is for a lot of places. Even fast food. Times are changing.

True.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft
a reply to: muse7

What is worse, sitting at a cafe and having to put up with a smoker? or sitting at a cafe and having to put up with a P.O.S talking on his/her mobile phone for all the world to hear?

Personally, the phone freak pisses me off more.
But, that's just me.
Whilst we are talking about cleaning up society and taking out the trash, I think all politicians, banking cartels, the CIA, FBI, DHS and the NSA should be banned completely too - no-one should be subjected to those foul smells and toxic fumes that are killing scores of humans on a daily basis.

Another brilliant post, all the above pretty much have a licence to kill in exponentional fashion, and perhaps more invisible than cigarette smoke.
For your delectation,

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   

just the smell of the smoke is enough to give me a head ache for hours.

Poor poo poo.
How dare people have choices?
It might cost me a bit but if I choose to spend it that way...who are you to tell me otherwise??
All you have to do is walk away...pretty simple.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
The world does not revolve around you. Dont like smoking tough then dont go places where people smoke and dont dictate to others how to live their lives,..

*fires up smoke... exits post before launching into tirade that would severely violate t&c in several languages... *

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: muse7
I know that you smokers where going to bring up the whole "well car fumes are just as worse!" argument.

But car, buses and trucks, and airplanes do actually serve a useful purpose aka transportation. They take people to their jobs, and to the hospitals and to school.

What is the purpose of smoking other than fulfilling your nicotine addiction and exhaling toxic carcinogenic fumes?

It keeps my p.t.s.d under control... Also keeps me from performing post-natal abortions on the idiots in the world...
edit on 9/12/14 by Expat888 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/12/14 by Expat888 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
It makes me sick too. But I don't think it should be banned.

I'm sure there's things you do that annoy others (and they may want them banned). Same for all of us, whatever we do, someone wants it to be stopped. But when you view it from the other person's point of view you realize it's a freedom too and it's something they don't want to lose...

They are free to do it but the rest or us shouldn't have to be subjected to it.

Next time you're driving and find yourself at any intersection - look down. The thousands of cigarette butts you see will tell you exactly how much a smoker gives a damn about anyone else.

I drive six miles out of my way just to shop at a Target that doesn't let their employees take a smoke break on a bench right near the front door. I mean WTF Target? I do not want to walk through a cloud of smoke with my toddler.

Honestly, anyone under 30 or 35 and smoking in the 2014 has judgment issues. Sorry, but it's true. Older people who smoke got hooked before society knew better.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Right, as your rip into your Kraft Dinner with yellow number 5 and serve it to yourself and your kids.

mmm (homer voice) Yellow number 5....

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Hmmm. After reading your rant, I can only offer you this:

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Here is the thing I think people forget. Your rights end where mine begin, as is true the inverse.

To address your points: I do not see "thousands of cigarette butts" at intersections or roads that I walk down, nor where I drive. Where I do tend to see an abundance of cigarette butts are in areas that do not provide receptacles for them, and claim a smoke free environment.

I do not see the logic of driving 6 miles burning a fossil fuel, vs. walking through an unpleasant odor.

I'm 34 as of tomorrow, been smoking since I was 16 (circa 1997, before smoking was the trigger issue it is now). So what is my judgment issue?

I don't judge people on what they do or how they look. Even the bible states (paraphrase- it's been a while since I've read it): Judge not lest you be judged in kind.

So really is it us under 35ers that smoke who have the judgement issues? Or those who judge us?

It's kind of like the old tattoo joke:

Q: What's the difference between a person with a tattoo and one without?
A: The person with the tattoo doesn't care that you do not have one.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: muse7
It is your right to smoke but it's not your right to fill the air with already more pollution. Smokers are not only affecting themselves but also everyone around them.

Why should children cover their mouths whenever they walk past a smoker? Why not confine smoking to ones home or apartment where smokers can bask in the smell of burning chemicals if they want to? It's not fair.

It's a perfectly reasonable law. Smokers are so concerned with their rights but what about the rights of everyone around them that chooses not to smoke?

The government, at least here in Ontario Canada, created the problem with not allowing smoking in bars, then in private clubs and now they are trying for public places. That forced people who do smoke to not frequent bars, private clubs and soon public places, in which case there will be a drop in revenue.

That drop in revenue, will result in a drop in taxes through income taxes to ALL those establishments and of course the loss of "some" of the sin taxes. If the politically correct idiots continue to push this "no smoking crap" they will pay the price in their pocket books.

As fewer people smoke (and with the harsher laws, drink) more and more sin taxes drop away. The government has to make up these taxes somehow and guess where they are coming from? Increases in payroll taxes, maybe increases in sales taxes, increases in excise taxes on fuels like gasoline/diesel/natural gas/propane and alcohol, etc.

So by stopping people from smoking, going to bars and private clubs, you politically correct wankers have sentenced yourselves and everyone else to higher taxes, just wait till the austerity measures really kick in ;-) Geez you people are so clever LOL.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Umbrella statements don't help situations at all. There's plenty of older men who smoke cigars, pipe tobacco or even "specialty" cigarettes every once in awhile and aren't hooked, it's because they like the flavor of the tobacco.

Saying everybody who's under the age of 30 or 35 and smokes in this current era has judgement issues is like saying anyone in any form of power is corrupt and elitist. No matter what the blanket statement is, it hurts people. The world does not stop and start at the convenience of anyone who has a gripe.

There's plenty of things people are free to do that get to me, but the key word is freedom. I wouldn't raise my child in a society that bangs a hammer everytime and says "No, our way only.". It's fascist and we all know how well that went.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

I'm just saying....

Take it or leave it. The OP ranted and I offered a bit of commiseration.

If you feel so comfortable in your position as a smoker, don't mind us. Ya'll typically don't anyways so...why start now?

As for judging - absolutely, I do on this issue. There is a mountain of evidence to support that smoking is not just unhealthy for the smoker but for those around them. Yet smokers get indignant when anyone dares to call BS on them lighting up around non- smokers? Puhlease.

I support your right to smoke but not in public. As you say, that's where your rights end and mine start.

edit on 12/9/2014 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: xDeadcowx

While you are at it, you should look into banning cologne and perfume. That crap smell horrendous and gives me a headache for hours. Might as well ban gasoline, garbage trucks, all motor vehicles, public toilets, or anything else that smells bad.

No one should be subjected to those foul smells and toxic fumes right?

Whoa now! At this rate, the next item on the list will be banning NJ and I'm not looking to move for a few years yet!

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

They should ban opinions. That way it's just an iron fist to answer to. If not, send out agents to "shame" those who go against the mainstream or rulers to prevent would-be critics.

No really, mandatory 1 year prison sentence for everybody because everybody has done something to offend someone at least once and this will be the only way to learn em all

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   

If you were eating and someone took away the garbage can - where would you put the waste from your food!

Anti-smokers lobbied the big car companies to remove ashtrays from cars. Now that smokers are not allowed indoors, there is often no suitable receptacle for something that could start a fire.

That is what happens when you take ashtrays away from smokers - the same thing that happens when you take garbage cans away from eaters and drinkers - the waste goes on the ground. As long as I can see YOUR waste on the ground - YOU have NOTHING to say to me!

Besides - smokers are now littering butts as a form of protest.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

That's your justification?

LMAO.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   

What about the rights of private property owners (like bars and restaurants) to make the rules on their own property?

You talk about your right to smoke-free air as you burn organic material to drive???? Idling a car for one minute is equal to the toxins in over 65,000 cigarettes. Don't I have the right not to be forced to breathe your exhaust.

BTW - don't bother telling me that its ok to poison me because cars have "useful" purpose. I really don't care what the "purpose" is - you are still killing me. So basically, you want the right to decide how I will die and I get no say in the matter.

Apparently the only rights you respect are your own!!

Tired of control Freaks

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   

The thousands of cigarette butts you see will tell you exactly how much a smoker gives a damn about anyone else.

Almost every smoker I know including myself is actually quite good about this. If I don't have a trash can nearby I put the butt in my pocket and wait until I find one. They're nasty and I don't want birds eating them (not sure if that whole thing is true). I don't think it's just smokers, many a jackass litters.

Honestly, anyone under 30 or 35 and smoking in the 2014 has judgment issues. Sorry, but it's true. Older people who smoke got hooked before society knew better.

I really can't argue with that. I knew better when I started. In my defense I have judgement issues.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join