It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan Releases Plans For Futuristic Underwater Cities By 2030

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Not the first time I have seen such a proposal but never on such a grand scale: I will believe it when I see it...

December 1, 2014 - Do you think it’s possible for people to live in underwater cities? Although it may sound like an idea for a sequel to Christopher Nolan’s hit sci-fi film Interstellar, a Japanese construction firm says it could be a reality by 2030.

The Japanese construction company Shimizu Corpannounced a $25-$26 billion underwater eco-city plan called “Ocean Spiral” of 5,000 people that draws its energy from the seabed thousands of metres below.

Shimizu Corp revealed a blueprint for the city of the future in Tokyo last week, claiming that Ocean Spiral will “capitaliseon the infinite possibilities of the deep sea” to accommodate human life, as rising sea levels endanger the survival of island communities.

The blueprint shows a vast research and residential station some 10 miles in length that begins just below the sea’s surface and burrows beneath the ocean floor.

Read more: www.disclose.tv...

www.disclose.tv...

youtu.be...

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 06:19 AM
link   
da seaweed is always greena' thanks to the Fukushima,
you dream about livin' up der, but it was overpopulated

and i do not apologize for that at all

Underwater cities? the idea sounds awesome, there are already underwater hotels you can go to, and i would love to spend a few nights in one, if a night there didn't cost as much as a car.
But as cool as it sounds, Japan has a horrible track record in terns of how it treats the environment, they are the last people i would trust, it will be a "As Above, So Below" type thing, they would ruin the ecosystem, whatever is left of it, beyond repair.
I'd sooner trust the crew of Sealab 2021

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Let's see.... An underwater city costing 25 or 26 billion dollars that harbors (pun intended) 5000 people.
Pure, stupid and illogical concept.

Don't they have a big problem with uncontrolled radiation right now that should be addressed?

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 06:43 AM
link   
/thinks it over

most honorable karifornication
..more like a prison than a home..
/shrugs
nty

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse
I'd sooner trust the crew of Sealab 2021

"Geez! Nice pod design, Frank Lloyd Wrong." -Captain Hazel "Hank" Murphy

But on topic, seems like some architect's wet dream that will most likely never come to fruition. Cool concept, but seems highly impractical.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Japanese need hope that the authorities will fix the debacle at Fukushima. The people are having a difficult time seeing a future without some kind of environmental containment.

So the government reassures them with fantasies like this. Is there a theme park yet, like Disney Land?

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Oh great! Now the Japanese can live submersed in the radiation ! ......all I see is a vitamin D deficiency issue with out the sun.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Probably because that the only bit of real estate left for the Japanese, thats not full of radiation, or mountainous regions not suitable for building. I think it would be amazing to have an underwater city that actually worked. And I think the Japanese could pull it off. Good Luck

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
People don't read...

It's a corporation project/idea of future... Nothing more than that...

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Why do I have the compulsive thought the japaneese will built this underwater city on or near a fault in the earth's crust?

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Sorry to burst the bubble but this is a double post for sure...

Spiral City - A home beneath the waves. @ ATS

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Now that's a project I would love to work on.

The first thing that jumps out at me is evacuation procedures, though.
Typhoons, ring of fire, critical structural failure... how to you evacuate and or safely seal off 5,000 head when any kind of failure could become catastrophic in a flash?

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Glassbender777

Actually, there are large swaths of open land still undeveloped. Lots of beautiful forest land, yes the mountainous regions, and the peaceful, rural farming communities. I love visiting the small towns outside of Tokyo. Life there is so simple, humble. I envy it sometimes, but alas, my lot in life is to squeeze into a crowded train every day to get to work.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: blackcube
People don't read...

It's a corporation project/idea of future... Nothing more than that...

Perhaps you need to read or reread my earlier statement. Their "Idea" is brainless: 25 or 26 billion dollars for a habitat for 5000 people. You care to do the simple math on the per person cost of that brilliantly stupid "idea?"

I can't help but think that this is just a seemingly clever ploy to take the Japanese citizen's mind off of Fukushima. If any of you follow what little real info we get about that disaster (even here on ATS), you might well think this "idea" is intended to get them to look elsewhere for places free from radiation, because there is no fix for that part of Japan.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

new topics

top topics

join