It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a question for those that conceal carry

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: MX61000

I am actually pretty anti-gun myself, but reading Grovit's recent threads it's pretty obvious he has very specific reasons to buy and carrying guns, and he wants to be as safe as possible. Vague moral judgements when the man has already made up his mind seem rather pointless, no?

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

Tourqey has some great advice. If I may ask, what gun is it? My diamond back .380 doesn't have a safety either but it's got almost a 2 inch trigger pull to make up for it. You can have it cocked and loaded and fit a quarter or pack of lifesavers in the trigger housing without the gun going of... Handy and not handy all at once.

First of all.. It doesn't matter about a trigger getting pulled.. I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure, and correct me if I'm wrong, but im pretty sure that the vast majority of guns when you "cock" them, your placing mechanical energy on a hammer or a firing pin that's just waiting to release.. I saw a guy get a negligent discharge out of a pump shotgun with the safety on and he claims he didn't hit the trigger, he just climbed over a fence and the butt stock bumped a tree and BOOM! Daddy needs a new pair of panties.... Lol this experience has always had me a little extra careful about a cocked and loaded gun.

I will still make sure my littler pocket plinker is loaded and ready to go if I'm somewhere that it makes me nervous. In the situation of a grocery store or something like that a threat general isn't just going to materialize within arms reach and this fact gives me comfort in just carrying the pocket pistol without on in the chamber.. Just 6 in the mag.. It's ez enough to cock but that always has to be in my mind.

Basically it's a fine line to walk between worrying about a neglegent discharge and being ready to defend yourself in an instant.. Whatever makes you more comfortable really.

My colt 1911 has a nifty feature a cop friend told me about, sigs got it too if I'm not mistaken, but it's got a half cocked mode that's soooooo ez to take the last step to "hot". It takes 2 hands to cock my 1911 from full rest but when she's half cocked it's like cocking a toy almost, half the energy, the harder half of the cock, is done and out of your way. She's ALWAYS got one in the chamber and 8 in the mag when holstered. Safety on. Half cocked. I can have her cocked and off safe in an instant if need be.

Me personally... I worry too much about a neglegent to be fully protected 100% of the time.. But you better believe that if I'm On a shady side of town.. She's ready to go and just be mindful..

A good metaphor would be that when its hot and ready to shoot without a safety it's like hanging out with your 2 year old child. The responsibility goes through the roof and you just have to be mindful of it always... Very little relaxing when your ready to go... You know what I mean?

edit on 29-11-2014 by mindseye1609 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: mindseye1609
If I may ask, what gun is it?

. I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure, and correct me if I'm wrong, but im pretty sure that the. Ask majority of guns when you "cock" them, your placing mechanical energy on a hammer or a firing pin that's just waiting to release..

you may
its a sccy cpx 2....9mm

^^i changed the base plate of the magazine so its flat.

im no expert either but to address your mechanical energy on the hammer thing.

this pistol is double action only..
if i am understanding the definition and performance correctly that means that after racking, while the round is chambered the hammer is not 'cocked'.
my understanding is the trigger pull cocks the hammer and then fires...hence the double action...
i could be wrong but i dont think i am.

also, there is no external hammer on this piece

im going shooting today but i am already looking at a 'better' pistol.

since i am leaning towards the carry, im liking the looks, reviews, etc of the springfield xd mod 2

www.springfield-armory.com...

probably going to scoop that up next week
edit on 29-11-2014 by Grovit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   

I assume that your gun has only a grip safety. That is not only a poor choice for a CC gun, but a dangerous choice. Getting a cc gun out of clothing to do its job is not an easy task no matter what holster/pocket it is kept in. The simple act of grasping the butt to pull the gun out under duress is asking for trouble. The safety can unknowingly be pushed off and then, of course, it only takes a slight touch of a finger or brush of clothing to pull the trigger. One of my pistols is made that way. Small and flat, it is the right size, but basically, it is not a gun for CC work or even under the pillow/mattress. Every act of grabbing it involves the chance of an accidentally disengaging the grip safety before it is intended. And to carry it safely with no bullet in the chamber is out of the question. Trade it off....
edit on 29-11-2014 by Aliensun because: clarification

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Very cool, ya I'm not sure about a double action, I've never owned one. That one looks about like my little .380. They make pocket guard hosters for pocket pieces that are pretty cool too. Kind of a shield to protect your self from imprinting and make your gun a lot easier to pull out of your pocket.

Without the external hammer too make sure to train with it in a coat or a purse or bag.. You can Fire through your pocket if you really need to be concealed and get the surprise on someone. A hammerless revolver is ideal for in pocket shooting but a hammerless auto makes it possible... I got 4 off out of 6 with mine before it didn't cycle right when shooting through the pocket of a wind breaker.. Kinda scary at first but it doesn't burn your hand or anything like you might imagine.

With that little 9mm too I wouldnt go looking for trouble.. If your in wal mart say, in the back, and you hear someone shooting up or screaming in the front.. Look for an employee escape path lol. Or go take a rifle off the shelf lol. My .380 and your 9mm aren't exactly "killers". A lot of people survive wounds from smaller calibers.. In a no choice scenario they work wonders in a defensive fashion from 30 feet or so but don't rely on it too much. Still be very prepared to retreat if need be, not because of laws or anything just out of strategy.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

I assume that your gun has only a grip safety. .

thats a negative
no grip safety

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Check out the para warthog, someone here at ATS turned me on to it.. Sub compact .45 1911/glock hybrid... Very nifty gun.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   

With that little 9mm too I wouldnt go looking for trouble.. If your in wal mart say, in the back, and you hear someone shooting up or screaming in the front.. Look for an employee escape path lol.

im no cowboy...
i dont look for trouble ever and will not just because i have a pistol.
not only do i not want to go to jail, i dont want to shoot anyone.

ive been reading a lot about the rules and laws and if i am not in my home there is a duty to retreat.
there are scenarios where in the situation you mentioned a person could shoot in defense of others...if they are under risk of death...that said, while in certain situations not involving ones self the person can shoot to defend/protect, it is not mandatory.

quite frankly, the reason i would carry is not to protect other people...not to save the day.
im not a peace officer. i am not law enforcement...for me, its about self preservation(and by extension my wife and daughter), not the preservation of others.

that may sound #ty but thats how i feel about it and from what i understand the law feels the same way...

i do not have a duty to run to the front of wal mart and shoot to protect others...that would be putting myself in danger, others in danger, and risking prison if i were not justified.
i dont need that..

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   

I'm way surprised ohio has a mandatory retreat law. Those are kinda messy so be careful. Like you said, keep it COMEPLETELY justified.

And you know deep down inside if the opportunity to save someone else properly presents itself without having to risk your own or your families life any further you would be on that mofo like white on rice lol. That chance that someone else besides their intended target could pull out a gun and defend everyone helps keep asshats on their heels. They just neve know then who could stop them and I bet it helps stop things before it ever happens.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   

And you know deep down inside if the opportunity to save someone else properly presents itself without having to risk your own or your families life any further you would be on that mofo like white on rice lol..

dont be so sure about that.
anything shy of retreating would be risking my life imo.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Lots of good, accurate info on the subject. I just want to add a thing or two. Ammo, practice with what you are going to carry. To spell it out, don't shoot just cheep target ammo at the range and load up on expensive Hornady's or Glaser to carry. Accuracy and performance will change with the different loads. My Walther PPK/S jams with hollow points, but work great with hard ball, the same with some 1911's.
Experiment with your chosen weapon and find out what works best for you. Don't discount the old full metal jacket for you 1911 fans. It's what it was made for. I don't mean shoot only hi priced ammo, but be sure whatever you carry works!
One more, change your ammo every month or so in your carry pice. When you load and unload an auto sometimes it breaks the pressed seal between the jacket and the projectile. That allows the primer and powder to draw moisture or oil, causing misfires.
Keep your weapon clean, a dirty gun jams.
I hear lots about the safety's, pro and con. Personally, I won't carry an auto without a hammer and a manual safety, and as much as I love my battered ole Ed Brown 1911, I don't carry it with the hammer back at full stand either. If you love a Glock, but would like a safety, check out the H&K line.

Closing shot in regards to InvisibleOwl, discussions about philosophy are best left for the bedroom or classroom, when men of action are required to keep the rabble of world in check, look down and see what's in your hand?

Ok ATS Tigers, tear me apart.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I've always carried with one in the tube, safety on. For my wife and I, an external safety is a must. Especially with weapons that have a light trigger pull as most striker fired semi-autos have.

Revolvers that I've carried tend to have a heavy double action trigger pull so I never really worried about them much.

It is a tactical advantage to carry with a round in the chamber followed by a full to capacity magazine in the well. All you have to do is hit the "on switch" and squeeze away.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   

May I recommend a series of articles by Massad Ayoob?

This is a guy who has spent a long time studying the art of the gun fight, carrying weapons, and philosophy of use. He provides a lot of good information.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

thanks man...bookmarked for a read later.
gonna hit the range in a bit...hopefully.
have to wrench on the truck a bit

got a safe though.

keypad and key lock backup

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Glocks have 3 way safety firing system...please read up...please!

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 01:20 AM
link   

If you're new to firearms, which it seems you are...get a gun with a safety.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

probably going to buy a springfield xd series next week
i was up there checking it out today..

if i decide to carry, im pretty sure its going to be that..

not going to carry the sccy.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Hammerless charter arms snub nosed .38 and a Taurus .380. The .38 takes 11lbs of pressure to pull the trigger, this pistol is not going off by mistake. The .380 has a long trigger pull and a 7lb trigger pull. I was a little leery at first but with a kydex paddle holster and the trigger always being covered I have become very comfortable with it and the bullet is chambered at all times, again this isn't going off by accident. I practice a lot at the range. I feel very comfortable no matter which one I carry.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   
It is ridiculously dangerous to keep a round in the chamber, I absolutely do not recommend it. Safety on or not. I never keep a round chambered.

It takes about 1.5 seconds to pull, charge, and flick the safety off of your weapon if you know what you're doing, and I highly recommend practicing this as many times, and as often as possible.

Again, keeping a round chambered is one of the dumbest, most dangerous things you can do. Don't let these people tell you that in a pinch you can't pull, and charge your weapon with a quickness. You should be familiar enough with your weapon to be able to do so. If you can't pull, and charge your weapon within less than two seconds....practice more. You can buy plastic dummy rounds to practice with and even pull the trigger so it won't mess up your firing pin.

edit on 22-2-2015 by AutOmatIc because: Spelling

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   
While I don't carry, I think most conceal carriers do carry with one in the chamber, what is the point otherwise? If you ever get to the position of having to use it, fractions of a second count, let alone a good second to cock it.

With that being said, most concealed carry weapons are double action, and obviously have a safety.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join