It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a question for those that conceal carry

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
hello all.
let me first say that i am going to take the ccw class no matter if i decide to carry or not and im sure the class will cover this...
still, i know a lot of you carry and i am curious...

do you carry with a round in the chamber? if you do i assume it is round in, safety on?

i got to thinking about this because the gun i just bought does not have a manual safety.

so if i carry and i carry this gun, its round in with no safety(not sure i like the sound of that) or no round in(not sure i like the sound of that either)..

no round in means if i have to use it i have to chamber then fire....obviously that takes longer than hitting safety off and then fire.

im sure the class will suggest how to carry and the reasons behind it but i am curious for you.

im still planning on buying another pistol and if it turns out that a no safety is suggested for ccw then i will make sure i get one with a safety.

i lot of people here have suggested glock and someone said they have no manual safety so im thinking thats the way right?

it just does not seem right but i am new so i really have no idea

the idea behind the pressure on the glock(and my sccy) trigger is as a safety mech...correct?

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I always carry a round in the chamber whether on duty or off. If you are not carrying one in the chamber and something happens to you personaly you may not have enough time to react properly due to adding the extra step of racking the slide upon drawing your weapon.

I carry a glock 37 at work and a 26 off duty. They obvioulsy only have the trigger safety. I run, jump fences, been in fights, and get in and out of vehicles all day and I have never had an accidental discharge.

If you want to carry concealed I suggest getting a hybrid inside the waistband holster. The holster MUST cover the trigger! I cannot stress that enough.

Also a sturdy belt makes all the difference in the world.

DONT SKIMP ON EITHER.

My suggestions...

Belt

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1417227934&sr=8-2&keywords=blade+tech+belt

Holster

www.whitehatholsters.com...

or

aliengearholsters.com...

edit on 28-11-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

1 in pipe, safety on for my auto. The safety is easy to flick and I practice that way. When I ccw my revolver (rarely) i use a SA/DA and carry it fully loaded and ready to # up anybody/anything i have to. Listen to what they say in the class, they usually know best.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   

i can't remember the manufacturer or the name they call the safety system, but there is one who has for lack of a better term a internal safety that the gun wont fire until the trigger is pulled so far or the or a certain amount of pressure.

i think it's the sig.

you need a round in the chamber ready to go if you carry.

ETA: now that i think about it, there are several that have a internal safety.

edit on 28-11-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

My Kimber 1911 has a palm pressure pad on it and I agree if you are going to carry make sure you have one ready to go.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   

The holster MUST cover the trigger! I cannot stress that enough.

Amen Brother !

Glock is a good platform and I have owned a few.. I personally do not carry one (Glock) because of their particular safety features (or lack there0f).. I would rather carry a 1911 cocked and locked than a Glock but that is just the way I grew up..
I carry a S&W 9mm unless hunting then the 45 1911 goes with me as a back up.
I personally prefer a manual safety which I can easily flick off if the need arises.. But different strokes for different folks..

Your CCW class will hopefully be a good class that will cover many of the things you should be aware of.. Congrats on your decision to attend..

edit on 28-11-2014 by 727Sky because: ....

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   

My recommendation for conceal carry,

Handgun: Springfield Armory XD-Mod2, .40 cal, no round in chamber while conceal carry, with round in chamber at home in pistol lockbox. The XDs have a 'Round in Chamber' and 'Striker Cocked' mechanical indicator that can be seen or felt in the dark to verify firing status.

Holster: Old Faithful Holster OWB convertible to IWB by adding two belt clips

Spare Magazine Holders: Triple magazine: Safariland Model 775 slimline

Gun Belt: Bullhide Belts Super-Bio

Best training: Front Sight Training Institute, outside Las Vegas, NV. Four day Defensive Handgun Class, includes conceal carry $200 for members gets you conceal carry training for CCW in NV, Utah, and Florida so good for 38 states.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Hello again...Glocks have 3 firing safety type mechanisms to allow it to fire...though no external (outside) safety switch, button or pin. It does take 3 actions to fire.

I carry one everyday, everywhere...yes, one in the chamber ALWAYS...otherwise, it defeats the purpose of carrying it.

Your life better be facing death, not stopping thefts and robberies, not holding someone at gunpoint, no chasing someone who robbed you...these and many more reasons are to be learned in using a firearm.

And dont be under any influence, drink, prescription if you ever use it....thats illegal. Dont chase anyone...thats illegal. Dont try to stop a fight, or hold someone...that is pretty much illegal.

The reason to carry (with one in the chamber at all times)...is if you or someone else...RIGHT NOW...right there...is going to die or be gravely injured. Nothing much else.

And defend yourself? Pull that trigger? You are going to jail anyway most likely until the police figure out IF you had a reason (like death or injury-dont shoot if they are running away)...and they test your blood for substances...AND the local prosecutor decides whether you were justified or not in firing and injuring or killing that person..and whether or not you get your gun back...thats another thing up to them. (Justified-yes you should get it back).

Carrying is no joke. All carriers will most likely agree in telling you...carrying concealed is a lot more of why NOT to shoot someone, WHEN to shoot someone, and when not to. And of course...not to put yourself in any dangerous areas or situations.

I could go on....but Ill now let other licensed carriers jump in: pro or con to my post.
edit on 07-31-2014 by mysterioustranger because: splck

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

first, thank you to everyone.
my thoughts were if there was no round in the chamber then what is the point really? it just seems odd to me to not have a safety but ive not been around as many guns as you all im sure...

to what you were saying stranger, i understand...

not that i need to qualify myself with any of you and i know none of you are asking, but i am taking it very serious.

i did not buy the gun to be a cowboy. if i decide to carry its not to be a cowboy. im sure you all know what i mean by that.
i was talking to the owner of the gun shop for a long time..he is ex law enforcement and he stressed these things as well.
i downloaded the ccw manual from the attorney general site and have read it several times already.

about the duty to retreat and so on...

like i said, i will take the class no matter what and will ask all these questions...just wanted your opinions on it as well.

the past few days i have done pretty much nothing but read and research..laws in my state.
different guns and such...asking questions on here....

i have to say i am probably leaning towards getting the ccw....
not in any major rush but its probably going to happen...

i appreciate you guys all talking to me about it....

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit
hello all.
let me first say that i am going to take the ccw class no matter if i decide to carry or not and im sure the class will cover this...
still, i know a lot of you carry and i am curious...

do you carry with a round in the chamber? if you do i assume it is round in, safety on?

i got to thinking about this because the gun i just bought does not have a manual safety.

so if i carry and i carry this gun, its round in with no safety(not sure i like the sound of that) or no round in(not sure i like the sound of that either)..

no round in means if i have to use it i have to chamber then fire....obviously that takes longer than hitting safety off and then fire.

im sure the class will suggest how to carry and the reasons behind it but i am curious for you.

im still planning on buying another pistol and if it turns out that a no safety is suggested for ccw then i will make sure i get one with a safety.

i lot of people here have suggested glock and someone said they have no manual safety so im thinking thats the way right?

it just does not seem right but i am new so i really have no idea

the idea behind the pressure on the glock(and my sccy) trigger is as a safety mech...correct?

My CC weapon has no safety except for my trigger finger! When I first started carrying I was nervous an unsure but as time went on I became more comfortable. At first I didn't have it chambered but after a bit I almost always do.

Advice: Once a week i take 5-10 minutes to practice "dry" draws. I have my holster on my right side, inside hip so I always practice keeping my holster side back so I have more time to pull and start to bring forward.

I also practice "dry" having to chamber and pull in case.

I also find keeping my ccw convenient in my car is important. Some area's I drive through for work are sketchy so be sure to practice that as well.

A goo ccl course will help give you the foundation.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   

a reply to: mysterioustranger

first, thank you to everyone.
my thoughts were if there was no round in the chamber then what is the point really? it just seems odd to me to not have a safety but ive not been around as many guns as you all im sure...

to what you were saying stranger, i understand...

not that i need to qualify myself with any of you and i know none of you are asking, but i am taking it very serious.

i did not buy the gun to be a cowboy. if i decide to carry its not to be a cowboy. im sure you all know what i mean by that.
i was talking to the owner of the gun shop for a long time..he is ex law enforcement and he stressed these things as well.
i downloaded the ccw manual from the attorney general site and have read it several times already.

about the duty to retreat and so on...

like i said, i will take the class no matter what and will ask all these questions...just wanted your opinions on it as well.

the past few days i have done pretty much nothing but read and research..laws in my state.
different guns and such...asking questions on here....

i have to say i am probably leaning towards getting the ccw....
not in any major rush but its probably going to happen...

i appreciate you guys all talking to me about it....

I cant attest that having a ccl comes with a responsibility. I had a situation where I almost had to use mine and let me tell you it was no joke. Id much prefer to have the option to protect then not but the possibility always exist that as a cc individual you can protect and take life. after my close call I can say I truly dread the day that I will ever be forced to defend myself but I also feel 100% better that I can if I ever needed to.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: sirlancelot

My CC weapon has no safety except for my trigger finger! When I first started carrying I was nervous an unsure but as time went on I became more comfortable.

thats where im at now because it just does not 'sound' right...know what i mean?
i think my context is off though...i just remember my dad, uncles, grandfather telling me safety on, safety on..drilling it in my head...then again, they were not talking about a carrying either...just range stuff. shooting on my grand parents property.....

as far as the class, thats happening no matter what...

i think it can only help me...even if i dont decide to carry, i will only help me if its in the car period.
if i get stopped for something i would much rather inform the cop that i have a permit and have a weapon on me versus telling him i have a weapon in the car and no license, even if the gun is locked and the ammo is separate.

i want to be as safe as possible and as legal as possible...i want as little margin for mistake as possible.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I feel that you MUST have a round chambered.....period.

That means choose a sidearm that allows you to do that safely AND one you feel comfortable with.

My carry gun is a Sig P226 or the "wifes" Sig P239

They're double action on the first trigger pull and single action after that.

You chamber a round, hit the De-cocker lever and that drops the hammer slowly and it's safe to carry.

You just draw it and pull the trigger......bang every time...so far anyways (20 years and counting)

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: sirlancelot

My CC weapon has no safety except for my trigger finger! When I first started carrying I was nervous an unsure but as time went on I became more comfortable.

thats where im at now because it just does not 'sound' right...know what i mean?
i think my context is off though...i just remember my dad, uncles, grandfather telling me safety on, safety on..drilling it in my head...then again, they were not talking about a carrying either...just range stuff. shooting on my grand parents property.....

as far as the class, thats happening no matter what...

i think it can only help me...even if i dont decide to carry, i will only help me if its in the car period.
if i get stopped for something i would much rather inform the cop that i have a permit and have a weapon on me versus telling him i have a weapon in the car and no license, even if the gun is locked and the ammo is separate.

i want to be as safe as possible and as legal as possible...i want as little margin for mistake as possible.

Im not sure where you live but once you get your license to carry I would carry. Start with it un chambered and then as time goes by chamber it. I carry selectively but lately I almost always carry. Some area's I always carry some I dont. I also have a ankle carry and a hip carry holster depending on my cloths.

For me in this day and age I feel much better having some form of protection just in case.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   

What is your thoughts on a revolver?

If I remember correctly you have some issues with one of yor hands from an accident how would it effect your shooting?

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

What is your thoughts on a revolver?

If I remember correctly you have some issues with one of yor hands from an accident how would it effect your shooting?

i like revolvers too but i think if i carry it will be semi auto.
i have not shot since i lost the finger.
i am right handed and the injury was the left hand.

i will find out tomorrow when i shoot.

i am thinking it will be fine..using the left hand for support and all

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   
When carry - locked and loaded.
Also check yourself in a mirror and/or have a friend check to make sure it doesnt show that your carrying.
Edit to add - get used to loading and shooting with either hand along with learn to shoot in low light / no light conditions.
edit on 28/11/14 by Expat888 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   
You said there was no manual safety, but is there a grip or trigger safety of any kind? That would definitely reduce the chances of an accidental discharge. In my opinion, as long as your trigger is covered, you should be alright chambering a round. But I can draw and chamber a round relatively quickly, so I'm assuming others can as well, although I do not carry a concealed firearm around with me. Of course if you find yourself in a specific type of situation the time it takes to chamber a round could make a huge difference, while in other situations in which you would need to draw your weapon would afford you time to chamber a round. So having a round in the chamber definitely means you are prepared for more situations than if you simply had rounds in your clip, but it also increases the danger level to some degree, since the firearm could discharge when you don't intend it to. I am not positive, but I would think that most firearms have some form of drop safety on them, or some internal mechanism that would prevent a discharge until the trigger is depressed, but again I am not certain. Something like this means the only way to have the weapon fire would be to accidentally have the trigger pulled, and if it is not open, it cannot be pulled. Most holsters cover the trigger as well, at least all those that I've used. Odds are that your chances of an accidental discharge are very low, and as such you could keep a round chambered. Again, if there is a type of grip safety or trigger safety then that definitely decreases the odds even more.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Live By The Gun, Die By The Gun...

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: MX61000

ok pilgram

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join