It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pele in Special Care Unit...Condition: Unstable.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Concerns over Brazilian soccer legend Pele's health have been downplayed by the 74-year-old's representatives after his condition was feared to have worsened

Pele

if he dies, I officially no nothing at all about Professional Soccer.

Who are the other internationally known soccer personalities?

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
:'(

I remember watching him live in the defunct NASL days, even at the end of his career he was amazing to watch...
End of an Era...

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
After Pele the only name you need to know is Christiano Ronaldo, nothing else is important

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: michaelbrux

Who are the other internationally known soccer personalities?

There are far to many to mention.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I almost bought a sandwich from Subway because of Pele. This Ronaldo...I don't know.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: michaelbrux

I believe that the in-names in Association Football are Mr Nathaniel Lofthouse, Sir Stanley Matthews and the incomparable Sir William "Billy" Wright.

As for players capped by other nations, i believe that the young "Pele" is the only johnny-foreigner rumoured to play the game.
edit on 27-11-2014 by skalla because: Gadzooks! Failed by my lousy typewriter.

edit on 27-11-2014 by skalla because: By Jove, not again!

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

i'm sure some will step up if Pele passes.

i suppose it makes sense...none could measure up to his stature in the United States, which doesn't embrace the sport very much, but their opportunity may be near.

i don't even know how I know who he is...but for some reason, his illness caught my attention.

edit on 27-11-2014 by michaelbrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Another great was the late George Best who played for Manchester United
Though considered a genius he never actually played in any World Cup finals
He was from Belfast In Northern Ireland

His is a sad story ... Once heralded as the 5th Beatle ... he was the first Pin up type celebrity in football ... this proved a heavy burden for him as he was shy retiring figure ... he turned to alcohol ... the rest is history

I saw him play once ... I recall him just staying in control of the ball for ages without any being able to take the ball from his nifty feet ...

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Diego Maradonna
As an Englishman this Is so wrong, but for me Diego Maradona was a legend.

edit on 27-11-2014 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Ha ... The infamous hand of God incident ...
but agreed one of the true greats

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

In my opinion a better player than Pele.

Watch and enjoy

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
The answer is no. He was great, but who wants to be great at such an awful sport?

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: artistpoet
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Ha ... The infamous hand of God incident ...
but agreed one of the true greats

He was quite a controversial figure all round unlike pele who was always viewed as a good sport. Great actor too in Escape to Victory.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cambot
The answer is no. He was great, but who wants to be great at such an awful sport?

I'm not getting into this silly argument again, but football is the most popular sport worldwide a universal language not understood by Americans

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
even when I watch soccer highlights on the evening news and see what is obviously a great play made by an exceptional athlete at a critical time, which brings an enthusiastic crowd to its feet...i don't feel it.

but Pele must have been something special, as his identity is tattooed to my mind.

maybe i'll see something next Olympics.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cambot

Yes it's such an awful sport, that's why it's played in over 200 countries worldwide.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: michaelbrux
even when I watch soccer highlights on the evening news and see what is obviously a great play made by an exceptional athlete at a critical time, which brings an enthusiastic crowd to its feet...i don't feel it.

but Pele must have been something special, as his identity is tattooed to my mind.

maybe i'll see something next Olympics.

I guess you were a kid in the 70's or 80's then? And he was very much one of the worlds most famous people since the tender age of 17 and regarded as the all time great in his sport for the last 50 years.

Terrible judge of a player though (or ruin-er of careers), the number of gifted 18 year-olds he has said would be world beaters and ended up playing like donkeys afterwards is pretty astronomical.

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Pele was a true great for sure
A real gentleman too
Here is a vid of him

www.youtube.com...
edit on 27-11-2014 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   

I had a close friend who hated it, he was going on about all the time for years, until he watched a very important match of The Dutch team with some other friends of him and he was gripped by the tension...he changed his mind after that.

It`s most fun when you actual support a team, lots of times people pick the underdog...I have been cheering for the US big time the last World Cup because of that.

edit on 27 11 2014 by BornAgainAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: BornAgainAlien

i don't hate soccer. I played it one spring at the YMCA it was okay...

you don't have to tell me about what seeing the game, any game, played by great players will do to a person...

and its obvious that Pele did something before my time that people decided should live on forever. and his illness caught my eye because I know 74 years olds don't often recover from serious illnesses ...

but this might be the end of the love affair for the U.S. and soccer.

i watched the All Blacks kick the crap out of the American Rugby team about a month ago and I think Rugby will probably prove more successful.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join