It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5-foot-tall ‘Robocops’ start patrolling Silicon Valley

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

I agree 100 percent, but it will happen as they don't have to pay a Robot a wage like a police officer or a security guard or even a soldier.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I have never believed that a "robot takeover" was feasible for the robots. It would require robots who actually think as opposed to those who operate based on coded instructions. Robots that make their own decisions are still working from a set of coded instructions, and they will not act outside those instructions. I suppose a robot's system could get messed up, and say it was equipped with a firearm, it could start shooting people, but it would not understand what it was doing. In the future we might have robots that actually either have brain matter of some kind, or who are intricately programmed to learn like a person learns, and in this case it might be possible for them to act on their own and understand what they're doing, but there could still be instructions built in beforehand that would not be changeable, ensuring the robots would not do this or that. But robots who actually operate autonomously and up to human standards do not exist at present. There are some that are getting there, but you could not turn them loose and expect them to function at present.

The first thought I had when reading this thread was of a burglar tipping the robot over before breaking in, lol. Or putting a piece of tape over its camera. I'm sure there are multiple ways to defeat them. Perhaps authorities would be alerted in such an event, which would not give the criminal much time. If you could cut off its wireless signal then it could do nothing. I don't really know how I feel about robot security guards, which could lead to robocops. It is essentially similar to a human security guard, except that it can spy on anyone in the vicinity, recording any available information that it is able to record. They are not made to be confrontational, rather they are made to record, for future prosecution in criminal cases. But that can easily change as they become more advanced. We could be facing an even larger dilemma when the government starts using these. As if the NSA was not bad enough, in the future we will likely have NSA drones and bots flying and walking all over the place. Sure crime will be reduced, or rather more criminal will be prosecuted, but at what cost? It is too easy for information gathered in this way to be abused by immoral agents of the government. We have seen this numerous times already.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Walsh

Ummm...Women all over the world want to know..................does it vibrate...?

Too tweaky...............Buck...

YouSir

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Damn robot cop almost had me. Thank god I found a curb to step up on and got away clean.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Ironic solution is ironic

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Look familiar...

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Walsh

transhumanism is the one possible evolutionary path for humans , we become machines able to live forever
and in a sense maintain what is the collective intelligence of the human race.

I think looking at the way we are developing , that computers will end up being our government , once we create an AI it will run all of our government.

Much like masamune shirows appleseed , where Gaia controls the government and runs the judicial system, financial systems etc etc

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
How do you open the lid to put the trash in that fancy garbage can anyway? Maybe you just throw the trash on the sidewalk and it vacuums it up?

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
What happens if you push it over?
Can it upright itself?

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: coastlinekid
What happens if you push it over?
Can it upright itself?

Hopefully we will find out soon.

Its 300 pounds and I bet that is mostly on the bottom. So unless it sprouts some really long arms, probably not.

I have a feeling these things are pretty vulnerable in their early stages. I envy the 16 and 17 year olds out west.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ZetaRediculian

Heh, heh, heh..all teenagers have to do is cover their faces, walk up to it and ooops, tip it over. Oh dear, I accidentally tripped up R2D2.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join