It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Micro Revolvers: Making the Derringer Cool Again

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
As a BUG, maybe. I had the NAA version years ago, passed it on by regifting... A curiosity in my experience, but hardly real world serviceable.

I regularly carry much more dressed in beach attire...

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Destinyone

Did you ever shoot it?

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Mirthful Me

I disagree. A gun like that could be very useful in certain situations.

Where I live there is a very liberal college student crowd. I hang out in the same coffee shops they do. I don't carry my Rhino 60 in these establishments even though they don't ban them. But, while I do get questions, this little gun isn't as imposing. It also provides a necessary advantage in that scenario. My carry options, for me, also consider the people around me. I'm trying to include as many people from as many different walks of life as I can in the firearms arena. I don't want it seen as an intimidating right wing thing. I want it seen as an American way of life with an added bonus that it is also a method to defend oneself and protect exactly what those people hold dear.

For me, sometimes carrying a small gun such as this, makes all the difference in the world. I open carry it in the change pocket of my jeans..
When people see it they ask, sometimes nervously, what it is I am carrying. Then the discussion begins.

I've made a lot of friends doing this. We may not agree on everything. But they go to the range with me and several have bought their first firearm within the last year with my help. It has completely changed their mind on the subject. Half the reason I don't conceal carry is because of all the great conversations I have with curious and cautious people.

On a more practical note:

I find the mini revolver/derringer firearm to be more than effective when it comes to EDC. Considering street encounters are pretty straight forward, something like an NAA would be very effective. For home defense I would not recommend these. I would recommend semi autos with higher capacities simply because of the threat of multiple invaders with little room to escape. But out in the open criminals tend to run when the first shot is fired.

The difference is that in a home escape routes are limited. They may not know it, but that is a huge factor in fight or flight response for criminals. In a home with limited escape options they are more likely to fight and to bring friends that will fight. But on the street they are more likely to run when a fight is posed. Criminals on the street want a compliant victim. Criminals in your home want to dominate.
edit on pSat, 15 Nov 2014 21:23:40 -0600201415America/Chicago2014-11-15T21:23:40-06:0030vx11 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I see that the thread has devolved into massive ego trips, "Now, let me show you mine," thread that bears no relationship to the topic.
(I have several weapons so I'm not a gun hater by any stretch.)
edit on 16-11-2014 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

It was supposed to be a joke.

As was the post I replied to.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: Destinyone

Did you ever shoot it?

No, I didn't. I wrapped it in a soft cloth, tucked it away, and forgot about it for years. I'm sure the new owner will. I'll ask them about it.

I'm enjoying your thread. It's a nice stroll down memory lane without all the quibbling over gun control...

It's also informative. Thank you!

Des

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   

I don't open carry.

I don't care what other people think.

I don't use my Constitutional Right as a social mechanism.

I do conceal carry high quality weapon(s) in a major caliber(s) loaded with ammunition that passes the FBI's Ballistic Test Protocol.

I do practice regularly, and I am proficient.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   

I don't open carry.

A lot of people don't and for good reasons.

I don't care what other people think.

Nor should you. But I do. I am known in my parts as a sort of firearms ambassador. So I do care what people think in the sense that I care to address concerns and maybe make another gun owner who will stand up for their rights.

I don't use my Constitutional Right as a social mechanism.

Let's get one thing clear: I carry for self defense.

But guns ARE a social mechanism. One that I have found needs positive engagement.

I do conceal carry high quality weapon(s) in a major caliber(s) loaded with ammunition that passes the FBI's Ballistic Test Protocol.

I do practice regularly, and I am proficient.

I practice regularly and am proficient as well. In certain, specific situations I conceal carry. By and large I am an open carrier.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Check out the power of this little .22 magnum! I call derringers a "oh-my-god-Im-gonna-die up-close-last-chance shot" weapon. That's be my only reason to carry it along with 45.

Shooting a Cobra Derringer 22 Magnum - YouTube

► 0:56 www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV159N4_U6I

Nov 5, 2012 - 56 sec - Uploaded by KuroiSerenity
Charming Victoria shooting a Cobra Derringer 22 magnum.

***OK SO AGAIN EMBEDDING FROM WORK DOES NOT WORK! HELP PLEASE, ANYONE? Thanx!!!
edit on 07-31-2014 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Here ya go...

Des

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
***OK SO AGAIN EMBEDDING FROM WORK DOES NOT WORK! HELP PLEASE, ANYONE? Thanx!!!

No, embedding with the entire URL doesn't work, just use the video code with the YouTube BB Code.

In this case, HV159N4_U6I

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Thanks for the advice! Ive never really used any videos on ATS. Thanks so much again....Best, MS

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Would these mini revolvers be a good beginners pistol? Or does it take a bit of experience to safely fire something like that?.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: RifRAAF

They would be just fine as a beginner gun. BUT I would recommend going with a full size semiautomatic and learning marksmanship basics. These would be fine for just messing around but they wont be helpful in learning how to shoot.
edit on pWed, 19 Nov 2014 12:34:40 -0600201419America/Chicago2014-11-19T12:34:40-06:0030vx11 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I have to agree here.

A full sized handgun and rifle in 22 long rifle are my go to train the new person guns. They pose the greatest chance of creating a shooter grounded in solid fundamentals. At which point moving into a carry gun that's compact and light on recoil is appropriate. Vxn my wife is beginning to dislike you by the way. You keep showing me stuff I had no idea I needed!
edit on 23-11-2014 by roguetechie because: ugh lumia blues ... double post too !!

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: roguetechie

I can feel her eyes rolling from here.

My wife's eyes have rolled so much she can see 360 degrees on a permanent basis.
edit on pSun, 23 Nov 2014 17:46:24 -0600201423America/Chicago2014-11-23T17:46:24-06:0030vx11 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Nobody cares.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I love these unusual firearms.

Most of us will never be in a shootout.

Guns should be fun.
edit on 24upm11America/Chicagopm3734America/Chicago by duaneology because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join