It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Micro Revolvers: Making the Derringer Cool Again

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I recently picked up a Micro Might mini revolver and I gotta tell ya, it's a whole lot of fun to shoot. Purchased in tandem with my need for strange or uncommon firearms, I have to be honest, I truly didn't think this would end up being a worth while purchase. I thought the weapon, even in .22LR would be uncontrollable due to its small size.

As it turns out, the weapon is reliable, very controllable, and surprisingly accurate. I thought for certain that I wouldn't be able to get more than a few feet of accuracy. But I was able to group with it just fine at 15 meters. Not sub-MOA, but a decent 5 inch group at that distance with a 1 1/8" barrel is pretty damned awesome.

My MM Revolver is a 5 round single action revolver in .22LR. Micro Might Revolvers also makes them in .22 Magnum, and .22 LR/.22 Mag combo. They retail for about $200 bucks but I got lucky with mine, since the dealer didn't know what he had, and scored it for $40 dollars. I've put a whole brick of .22LR through mine without a single malfunction. The .22LR version will safely fire .22 LR, .22 Long(Not entirely the same as LR), and .22 Short.

How is this different from North American Arms mini revolvers?

It has a manual cross-bolt, hammer block safety. This is uncommon for single action revolvers as they typically have either a half-cocked safety feature or hammer rest notches on the cylinder so the hammer isn't sitting on the primer of the round. It is also considerably cheaper than NAA revolvers by at least $100 bucks. I've found them online for about $150 and below.

Takedown and Reloading:

The process for takedown and reloading is the same. The the tip of the cylinder pin has a button that releases tension on a spring loaded pawl that rests in a detent on the underside of the barrel. Remove the cylinder, clean or load as necessary, and replace. It's that simple.

Overall impression is very good. It does what it is advertised to be able to do, and doesn't seem to mind running dirty either. With a revolver this small do not be surprised if your hand is covered in powder residue. While I did not experience hot powder or gas burns at all, your hands will get pretty well coated after 50 rounds. Washing your hands is highly recommended after firing this weapon.

Uses:

Self defense? Yes, absolutely. It would make an excellent "in a pinch", back up, or "get off me" gun.

Plinking and target shooting? Absolutely. You won't be disappointed firing this little guy at all. I was actually impressed with how much fun it was to shoot.

Hunting? No. Unless you load it with .22 snakeshot to kill a snake in your tent this thing will not be effective for hunting. Conceivably you can use this weapon on squirrels and rabbits, but you'd likely have a hard time doing so and there are far better .22LR platforms out there to do that with.

As always, Happy Shooting!

edit on pSat, 15 Nov 2014 16:48:04 -0600201415America/Chicago2014-11-15T16:48:04-06:0030vx11 by projectvxn because: A few errors to clean up

edit on pSat, 15 Nov 2014 20:09:27 -0600201415America/Chicago2014-11-15T20:09:27-06:0030vx11 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I got one of these for a buddy of mine for his birthday. He's an avid gun enthusiast, so I figured he would appreciate the novelty and stick it in his safe. But he says he takes it everywhere. Easy to put in his pocket and go. Wish I had gotten one for myself.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   
That is a cool little pocket gun. I really like my Walther pp22 lr. It is small enough to hide in your palm and holds 10 plus 1. I dropped a 150 lb hog with a hollow-point to the neck with it.
Don't let anyone fool you. A .22 is a dangerous round.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I see the .22 as a very versatile round and good in many situations. Not to mention abundant and pretty cheap.

Cool little gun.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

The .22LR round has impressive power for its size out to 400 yards. The key to making that happen is, of course, using a rifle, as well as understanding how bullet trajectories work.

There have been plenty of penetration tests done on 1/4 inch plywood targets out to 400 yards. It will kill at that distance. Out of a micro revolver/derringer style handgun the power is not diminished, but it does bring the effectiveness of the round much closer to the shooter. Within ten meters. Outside of that missing the target is highly probable. It is an extreme close quarters weapon for sure.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: jaynkeel
I see the .22 as a very versatile round and good in many situations. Not to mention abundant and pretty cheap.

Cool little gun.

Used to be a lot cheaper.

Shot like 40 bucks worth of ammo through this thing..Used to be 10 bucks.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

Well they're pretty cheap.

NAA is still among my absolute favorites in terms of brand. But the Micro Might brand has established itself, at least with me, as a solid example of how good these weapons can be.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
16 Barrels, 22 Calibers, One Amazing Derringer Line - YouTube
Mar 5, 2013 - 6 min - Uploaded by Bond Arms

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOPjn7JEOV4
"With the Bond Arms many options for ......"

This is a derringer with interchangeable barrels! One can go from a 22 to 32 to 38 to 45, and also 280, 357 10mm, 40 and 9mm and 45. 16 different cals.

All in one derringer. I understand the only issue is with changing them, its hard on the gun and the hands. Also its limits how many rounds of course.

And this....

Cobra Derringer Multi 4 Barrel Set- .22LR/.22Magnum/.25 Auto/.32 ...
www.impactguns.com/cobra-derringer-multi-4-barrel-set-22lr22magnum25- auto32-auto-pearl-grips-b38br-832716000117.aspx‎CachedSimilar
One Derringer with four calibers using interchangeable barrels.

***Can someone please embed the above video for me please? Thank you
edit on 07-31-2014 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

There you go.

Mini revolvers and derringers are simply not given the credit they deserve for reliability, versatility, and effectiveness they deserve. Thanks for the links!
edit on pMon, 17 Nov 2014 20:24:23 -0600201417America/Chicago2014-11-17T20:24:23-06:0030vx11 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

edit on pMon, 17 Nov 2014 20:24:37 -0600201417America/Chicago2014-11-17T20:24:37-06:0030vx11 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
That doesn't look intimidating at all
You need this www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Those are cute and all...But I have one of these:

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

Those are cute and all...But I have one of these:

You could store snacks in those holes.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I have this

Des

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Exactly. Why get into a gun fight on an empty stomach?

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Destinyone

Good god girl what the hell is that?

I will buy you a new gun myself if I have to!

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

Good god girl what the hell is that?

I will buy you a new gun myself if I have to!

Semi automatic 25. But I also have these...

And a few more...

Des

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Almost had a heart attack for you.

Fortunately I have seen those pistols before and have used them.

They are less than reliable and that mag release they have can be seriously stupid to work with..

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Just for fun that's all. I had this one until this past weekend.....it now belongs to another ATS member I gave it to.

Single shot .22..

Yes, I like strange little guns...and shoes...loves me shoes too...

Des

edit on 15-11-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Of course.

How's that single shot .22 shoot?

I take it you got that one for target practice?

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Oh let me pull that memory from ancient files. That single shot .22 was given to me by a person I lent money to, and they asked if I would take the gun instead of the money they didn't have to pay me back. I liked the little gun, so it worked well, that barter for me.

Des

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join